Hiring a proven Power Five coach is nearly impossible

I want other than Jon Gruden would be Scott Frost. He took an 0-12 team, and has transformed it into an undefeated team.

It takes real coaching to accomplish something like that. Lord knows what that man could do with the talent at Tennessee.

One game was cancelled this year which he probably would have lost, GT.

Last edited:
It really blows my mind that we supposedly have some billionaires like Ergen, the Haslams, maybe Allan Jones, a future NFL GM in Peyton Manning, and Phil Fulmer involved in getting....Scott Frost or Dan Mullen????

These guys are all needed in making one of those hires go down???? Are these guys that weak that they are simply shooting for a bottom level SEC West hire or a mid-major hire in Scott Frost????

It doesn't make sense to me. I've never heard of any CEOs of any Fortune 500 business be involved in hiring a mail room clerk manager.....it is insane to think that.

So while we must be battling hard to convince these names being thrown around here in fear of hiring a winner in Chip Kelly....Florida will hire him...we will hire a "Nice Guy" head coach and be owned for 20 more years by that damn school.

I realize the Grumors is all for fun....but the reality is it sounds like the $$$$$$$$$$ are not shooting as high as I thought they would.....putting endless pressure on your main choice and not taking "NO" for an answer.

It really blows my mind that we supposedly have some billionaires like Ergen, the Haslams, maybe Allan Jones, a future NFL GM in Peyton Manning, and Phil Fulmer involved in getting....Scott Frost or Dan Mullen????

These guys are all needed in making one of those hires go down???? Are these guys that weak that they are simply shooting for a bottom level SEC West hire or a mid-major hire in Scott Frost????

It doesn't make sense to me. I've never heard of any CEOs of any Fortune 500 business be involved in hiring a mail room clerk manager.....it is insane to think that.

So while we must be battling hard to convince these names being thrown around here in fear of hiring a winner in Chip Kelly....Florida will hire him...we will hire a "Nice Guy" head coach and be owned for 20 more years by that damn school.

I realize the Grumors is all for fun....but the reality is it sounds like the $$$$$$$$$$ are not shooting as high as I thought they would.....putting endless pressure on your main choice and not taking "NO" for an answer.

You've got your finger on the pulse of things. Square on the pulse man.

Good grief, calm down. I love how everyone in here has the mentality of being in the room and qualified to do the job of the AD, yet they're on the outside flipping burgers and building roads letting less qualified ppl do the job and make the decisions. you don't know what's going on behind the scene, even if you all have an "inside source".

Let it play out.

Reactions: 2 people
Good grief, calm down. I love how everyone in here has the mentality of being in the room and qualified to do the job of the AD, yet they're on the outside flipping burgers and building roads letting less qualified ppl do the job and make the decisions. you don't know what's going on behind the scene, even if you all have an "inside source".

Let it play out.

Why you bringing up you and your wife's jobs in this?

I know right.

This is only the most important hire this year.

Heads up. My source says they announce Gruden today as HC. The players know. There is a video of them being told.

We'll see.

It would be great if they got it right.

I sure hope so.

Go Vols!

Beat LSU.

I know right.

This is only the most important hire this year.

Heads up. My source says they announce Gruden today as HC. The players know. There is a video of them being told.

We'll see.

It would be great if they got it right.

I sure hope so.

Go Vols!

Beat LSU.

Isn't the definition of "source" someone who knows? If there's an "if", your source is no source (just a rumor monger) and no more credible than anyone else.

The administration has had 10 years and four chances. There is no excuse not to find a quality coach.

Brohm is probably not an option unless there is something we don't know about, his buyout appears to be significant.

I have said for a few weeks I would do something like this, maybe not exactly but something like it.

- Frost ($3.5-4m)
- Pelini (hire him as DC for $1m)
- Miles (head recruiter - associate hc for sub-$500,000)

Pelini and Miles would provide Frost support he needs as an inexperienced head coach, if Frost leaves and Pelini is doing well, that than gives you options in the years ahead.
Hey I like that idea..

Isn't the definition of "source" someone who knows? If there's an "if", your source is no source (just a rumor monger) and no more credible than anyone else.

Ain't that the truth.

Looks like my guy was given bad info.

It was fun while it lasted.

Go Vols!

Still beat LSU.

Still win out.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't understand why UT can't hire a home run guy like Patterson or Petersen.

They have a better job now, why would they change? Their present a.d.s would match any reasonable offer we might make. They’re happy where they are.

The problem with the Gruden obsession is if it is anyone not named Gruden a percentage of the fan base is going to be upset. The only real issue that can come from that obsession is Currie could hire a good coach but it will be offset by the fact that he is not Jon Gruden. I do think Gruden could excel in recruiting which is the main part of college coaching and I also think he is a good x's and o's coach unlike CBJ but I don't think he is the only one who can do that at UT.

Bud if you have been a Tennessee fan for more than 3 years, there is one constant that should be obvious. Anytime a decision is made concerning Tennessee football, what I put in bold letters will happen. It can be the head coach, his assistants, the training staff, the uniforms, the field maintenance, the radio announcer, the concessions, the band, the jumbotron, and even what color the restrooms in the stadium are painted. And any of us who are honest are raising a hand pleading guilty as charged on dang near every point.

So why are you calling it a problem? Someone makes a decision, and we raise Hell about it with little to no problem at all. It doesn't matter who they hire: CJG, CBB, CCP, CGP, CCK, CVL, CJF, CJF, CJJ, or CTC. Somebody ain't gonna like it.

Reactions: 1 person
The administration has had 10 years and four chances. There is no excuse not to find a quality coach.

Exactly, that's why I don't have much hope for UT to hire a big time proven coach this time around, do you?:)

VN Store

Back