High school football rules discussion

The last game my son was told he had to remove them? He was wearing them above his elbow - does that make a difference?

Yes, they have to be down around the wrist. I don't remember the specific wording off the top of my head but it is something like no more than 3" above the top of the thumb.

Like I said, I don't remember it off the top of my head but I do know they need to be down at the wrist.

Bicep band and calf bands are no good

Ref,

Friday in the Boyd vs. DCA game late boyd scores to get within 3 does not recover the onside kick and holds DCA on 3 downs. There is 59 sec left when the DCA runner hits the ground. With a quick spot they should punt with 25 to 30 sec left. The ref walks in picks up the ball and starts toweling it off. Finally spots it and DCA punts with 9 sec left. I don't think it changed anything as Boyd would need something special to have come back. I just found it odd.

Does the tssaa have a policy or a rule for the refs in this situation?
The refs usually hustle in this situation. Again....I just found it odd.

Ref,

Friday in the Boyd vs. DCA game late boyd scores to get within 3 does not recover the onside kick and holds DCA on 3 downs. There is 59 sec left when the DCA runner hits the ground. With a quick spot they should punt with 25 to 30 sec left. The ref walks in picks up the ball and starts toweling it off. Finally spots it and DCA punts with 9 sec left. I don't think it changed anything as Boyd would need something special to have come back. I just found it odd.

Does the tssaa have a policy or a rule for the refs in this situation?
The refs usually hustle in this situation. Again....I just found it odd.
Something with the numbers you are giving doesn't add up. They took 50 seconds just to get the ball spotted between 3rd and 4th down?

We are going to try and go at or near the same pace throughout the game. Doesn't matter if they are a huddle up type team or a no huddle. I am going to get the ball and spot it if I am umpire.

You mention the ball be toweled off, I am going to assume and say that this wasn't the first time during the game the ball was toweled off. I would think this happened throughout the game.

Something with the numbers you are giving doesn't add up. They took 50 seconds just to get the ball spotted between 3rd and 4th down?

We are going to try and go at or near the same pace throughout the game. Doesn't matter if they are a huddle up type team or a no huddle. I am going to get the ball and spot it if I am umpire.

You mention the ball be toweled off, I am going to assume and say that this wasn't the first time during the game the ball was toweled off. I would think this happened throughout the game.

It was the first time I saw the ball being polished. It was a dry cool evening.
No real need to clean a ball that just came in from the side line. Could be I didn't notice throughout the game.
It basically took 20 sec (gesttimate) to spot the ball then start the play clock. (DCA has a play clock which is nice)

Any time in the past in this situation I've seen refs at all levels move quickly to spot the ball. It was just odd.

It was the first time I saw the ball being polished. It was a dry cool evening.
No real need to clean a ball that just came in from the side line. Could be I didn't notice throughout the game.
It basically took 20 sec (gesttimate) to spot the ball then start the play clock. (DCA has a play clock which is nice)

Any time in the past in this situation I've seen refs at all levels move quickly to spot the ball. It was just odd.
Without seeing this and how things were handled up to that point I can't really comment on if I think it was handled properly or not.

To be honest I would rather not comment on specific plays or situations. I do like to talk rules and try my best to tell you how the rules book would handle a play or foul enforcement.

Without seeing this and how things were handled up to that point I can't really comment on if I think it was handled properly or not.

To be honest I would rather not comment on specific plays or situations. I do like to talk rules and try my best to tell you how the rules book would handle a play or foul enforcement.

That was actually my question. Weather or not tssaa had a policy or rule covering this situation. If I read you correctly they want the refs to be consistent throughout the game.

That was actually my question. Weather or not tssaa had a policy or rule covering this situation. If I read you correctly they want the refs to be consistent throughout the game.

We try and be consistent throughout. I am sure that doesn't always happen. As far as a specific thing from the state, I am not aware of anything. There may be something on this but I haven't seen or heard about it.

Now you're just being difficult.

And you're just trying to fire me up in a thread that has very civil for a long time.

So, if you don't have anything that is actually rules related I will move on until a legit question is asked.

Have a good evening.

And you're just trying to fire me up in a thread that has very civil for a long time.

So, if you don't have anything that is actually rules related I will move on until a legit question is asked.

Have a good evening.

Aaawwwww.
You're no fun

VN Store

Back