High school football rules discussion

On another thread here, there was reference made to the new NHSFA rule changes. Within that, it was stated that there would be a modification to the rule regarding the wearing of towels. I was unaware there WAS a "towel rule". Can you explain the rule and the new modification?
Rule 1-5-3-a-5-a (yeah pretty deep down) talks about illegal equipment and states:

One unmarked moisture-absorbing white towel, which shall be no less than 4 inches in width and 12 inches in length and no greater than 18 inches in width and 36 inches in length;

The wording of the new rule is not out yet but I think it will say something along the lines of towels won't have to be solid white but the entire team will have to have the same color. We won't see the exact wording until sometime in June or July.

Thanks for the clarification. Any idea what was the motivation behind the change? Are there that many "towel issues" that these rules have to be established and modified? (I would have never thought..,)

Thanks for the clarification. Any idea what was the motivation behind the change? Are there that many "towel issues" that these rules have to be established and modified? (I would have never thought..,)
Are there that many "towel issues" that these rules have to be established and modified? - The answer to that is that it really depends on how picky a crew wants to be. We wouldn't really see issues with the color but the "unmarked" part is what was difficult. Most of the towels have a manufacturers logo on them. Nike would have a small square that had the "swoosh" on it and Adidas would have their logo and so on...

The only time the color would be an issue is when players would want to wear pink towels.

Hopefully the new rule will make both of these legal and we won't have to worry about towels by rule.

I guess that was my point... What does it really matter if a player wears a towel with a logo on it? Every other piece of clothing or equipment has a logo. For that matter, why fret the color? Seems awfully petty to have "towel rules" at all, unless there's been a known safety issue or a towel has given a player an unfair competitive advantage.

Just my opinion, of course. Am I missing something you might have seen with regard to towels?

Great topic. I should venture in to the HS sports forum more often. I've noticed after a missed FG that the other team takes possession at the 20 and not the previous LOS or the point of the kick. This seems to be the case even for kicks attempted beyond the 20. That would make the decision to go for the FG a no brainer it seems as you wouldn't have to worry about giving up field position. Can you explain the rule?

Great topic. I should venture in to the HS sports forum more often. I've noticed after a missed FG that the other team takes possession at the 20 and not the previous LOS or the point of the kick. This seems to be the case even for kicks attempted beyond the 20. That would make the decision to go for the FG a no brainer it seems as you wouldn't have to worry about giving up field position. Can you explain the rule?

Think of a FG as a punt that can score points. Once the ball breaks the plane of the goal line and is no good it is a touchback. If it is good then they kickoff.

Check out this scenario. A team lines up at the 50 to try a long FG. The kick is short and lands and the 10 and rolls to the 2 yard line where it becomes dead. The defense (receiving team) will put the ball in play at their own 2. Had that ball rolled another 2 yards they would then put it in play at the 20. I can't think of a scenario where it would go back to the previous spot and be put in play by the defense.

In high school, a field goal attempt is nothing but a punt that can score.

Great question!

Thanks for the response ref, and thank you for doing a thankless job. My uncle was an official with the TSSAA through the 60s, 70s, and 80s. That makes sense, though it brings up a follow up question. Although it probably wouldn't happen, could the defene if they chose to, put someone back as a return man to potentially field and return a FG attempt that came up short within the field of play?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Thanks for the response ref, and thank you for doing a thankless job. My uncle was an official with the TSSAA through the 60s, 70s, and 80s. That makes sense, though it brings up a follow up question. Although it probably wouldn't happen, could the defene if they chose to, put someone back as a return man to potentially field and return a FG attempt that came up short within the field of play?
Posted via VolNation Mobile
Yes they could.

I believe a Red bank player was ejected for targeting in last nights game vs Boyd.
Does that mean he's out for next week vs Soddy Daisey?

Okay, this isn't necessarily rules related, but why do we call it week 0? I may be obtuse, but I just can't figure this one out.

Think of a FG as a punt that can score points. Once the ball breaks the plane of the goal line and is no good it is a touchback. If it is good then they kickoff.

Check out this scenario. A team lines up at the 50 to try a long FG. The kick is short and lands and the 10 and rolls to the 2 yard line where it becomes dead. The defense (receiving team) will put the ball in play at their own 2. Had that ball rolled another 2 yards they would then put it in play at the 20. I can't think of a scenario where it would go back to the previous spot and be put in play by the defense.

In high school, a field goal attempt is nothing but a punt that can score.

Great question!

That's great info, I was not aware of that. I wonder how many HC's know that.

I've got a question. When I was in HS (let's just say back in the 80's), we were in a overtime game and we were on defense. I can't really remember if we had already scored or not, but I had this epiphany that I was going to make an interception - just knew it. So I went to the ref and asked if I could return it for a TD. He told me no. So, believe it or not, I made a pick on the next play and took a knee.

It has bothered me all of these years - because I would have easily scored. The only plausible explanation I can think of is we were up because we scored first and it wouldn't have mattered, but I still could have returned it for a TD - right? Would the points count?

Okay, this isn't necessarily rules related, but why do we call it week 0? I may be obtuse, but I just can't figure this one out.

No clue...maybe because it comes prior to week 1? :)

My guess would be that it has something to do with when teams didn't have a bye and just played weeks 1-10. They then probably added byes and an extra week to the beginning if the season and instead of shifting the weeks and having 1-11 they probably just decided to call the added week 0. Just a guess though.

I've got a question. When I was in HS (let's just say back in the 80's), we were in a overtime game and we were on defense. I can't really remember if we had already scored or not, but I had this epiphany that I was going to make an interception - just knew it. So I went to the ref and asked if I could return it for a TD. He told me no. So, believe it or not, I made a pick on the next play and took a knee.

It has bothered me all of these years - because I would have easily scored. The only plausible explanation I can think of is we were up because we scored first and it wouldn't have mattered, but I still could have returned it for a TD - right? Would the points count?

Nope. Once the defense gains possession the play is over.

No clue...maybe because it comes prior to week 1? :)

My guess would be that it has something to do with when teams didn't have a bye and just played weeks 1-10. They then probably added byes and an extra week to the beginning if the season and instead of shifting the weeks and having 1-11 they probably just decided to call the added week 0. Just a guess though.

That's right the reasoning behind the extra week is when the TSSAA expanded to 5 classes teams had trouble getting 10 games scheduled.

I've always thought it was incredibly stupid. It should be week 1 through 11. Oh well, I'll get over it.

VN Store

Back