Hertz Orders 100k Teslas

Dumb question for the engineers...are we ever gonna get rid of power lines?...like is buried cable feasible or too dangerous
Buried cable is great until a backhoe or some other piece of equipment cuts it in two. I was staying at a hotel a few years ago on the coast where the power lines were buried but the transformer was at ground level. A drunk driver ran off the road, hit the transformer and killed himself and knocked out power for a day.

I'm pro EV but the fire risk that suggests you should charge the car outside is a killer. I notice in EV ads they show them being charged in the driveway. What's the point of having a garage if I have to leave my car out all night to charge.
Stop killing the planet and get on board you damn science denier!

Reactions: StarRaider
Dumb question for the engineers...are we ever gonna get rid of power lines?...like is buried cable feasible or too dangerous
Not on the really high voltage regional transmission lines I think those will always be above ground. In most new development where you are down to a few kV they are already underground. I’d guess that’s the plan for now but I’ll defer to @Rasputin_Vol as this is actually his field.

Reactions: VolnJC
Great idea. So the connector contact point generates so much heat due to conduction losses that they solve the problem by adding better heat removal capability in the car connection point enabling higher charging currents at assumably the same operating voltage.

Next up in the fail chain… the old ass power grid unable to support all these higher charging nodes simultaneously on the grid. Or more likely a stable charger design capable of handling high source impedances in the old ass power grid in the majority of homes and neighborhoods that will want to use this rapid charge technology to make EVs more feasible.
I am guessing this would require a transformer? Something that steps it up right at the charger, instead of just pulling straight from a plug. Most already have an AC/DC "transformer" built in.

I always have to think of this in terms of fluids because I am dumb architect.

Problem is car requires a large volume of electricity. Current solution is low flow for a while. This Ford cable ups the pressure, so less time is needed.

Instead of a pump, you have a transformer, opposite of what goes on outside the house bringing power from the lines.

I guess what you are saying is the system has to supply a big amount of electricity all at once. And if it does that enough the system gets overloaded. For me it's the same overall amount of power, so if you are worried about brown outs it seems like it would be an issue, long or short.

I would think some type of networked EV system could limit the immediate issues, if you can get everyone on the same system. Most of the ones we spec have a data connection as well, so its talking to some system somewhere. So maybe it's just a software thing to get over this hurdle.

^all dumb architect speculation^

Not on the really high voltage regional transmission lines I think those will always be above ground. In most new development where you are down to a few kV they are already underground. I’d guess that’s the plan for now but I’ll defer to @Rasputin_Vol as this is actually his field.
Maintenance maintenance maintenance. Not even the extreme of the line getting cut.

Also install is way more expensive. 5 to 10x I would say. And then time. Probably 2x3 times the work. Then if you find any other underground systems you have to work around them, see the maintenance comment above.

It's relatively easy going from a common line to an individual user, but refitting a neighbor or city block is a nightmare.

Maintenance maintenance maintenance. Not even the extreme of the line getting cut.

Also install is way more expensive. 5 to 10x I would say. And then time. Probably 2x3 times the work. Then if you find any other underground systems you have to work around them, see the maintenance comment above.

It's relatively easy going from a common line to an individual user, but refitting a neighbor or city block is a nightmare.
Thanks..I was just thinking how nice it would be to have them buried down here in hurricane areas....we were out 10 days with Sally....think they had it worse this year over in LA with some out 3 wks

Thanks..I was just thinking how nice it would be to have them buried down here in hurricane areas....we were out 10 days with Sally....think they had it worse this year over in LA with some out 3 wks
Probably worth it down there. Cant imagine there is much bedrock you have to worry about when trenching. In east Atlanta there is a lot of granite right near the surface. And hurricane maintenance is probably worse than underground.

Reactions: VolnJC
Probably worth it down there. Cant imagine there is much bedrock you have to worry about when trenching. In east Atlanta there is a lot of granite right near the surface. And hurricane maintenance is probably worse than underground.
I don't know about bedrock but apparently tomatoes don't grow down here in this sand...miss Grainger County tomatoes....we do have satsumas though...cheap and delish

Reactions: StarRaider
I am guessing this would require a transformer? Something that steps it up right at the charger, instead of just pulling straight from a plug. Most already have an AC/DC "transformer" built in.

I always have to think of this in terms of fluids because I am dumb architect.

Problem is car requires a large volume of electricity. Current solution is low flow for a while. This Ford cable ups the pressure, so less time is needed.

Instead of a pump, you have a transformer, opposite of what goes on outside the house bringing power from the lines.

I guess what you are saying is the system has to supply a big amount of electricity all at once. And if it does that enough the system gets overloaded. For me it's the same overall amount of power, so if you are worried about brown outs it seems like it would be an issue, long or short.

I would think some type of networked EV system could limit the immediate issues, if you can get everyone on the same system. Most of the ones we spec have a data connection as well, so its talking to some system somewhere. So maybe it's just a software thing to get over this hurdle.

^all dumb architect speculation^
So yes but there are multiple steps. For wall power a transformer followed by a diode rectifier bridge is the most standard basic power supply. That’s what is in your car. Step up or down to where you want to be peak voltage wise, diode rectify it, then follow it with a bunch of capacitance to filter out the ripple.

However these EV chargers are anything but simple and include bunches of tricks to minimize battery deterioration due to recharging cycles. At their core they are a DC/DC converter and a very complex “switching” power supply. Switching DC/DC converters operating at high power points require care and feeding on their input power source characteristics. I’ve seen first hand in very spectacular fashion the impacts of high source impedance on the switching converters input power filter.

None of this is necessarily hard all of these problems have been solved before. But the solutions for robust EV charger running from 220V wall power which is the highest residential operating voltage you can design to are not going to be cheap to deliver rapid charging times. If we’re talking an industrial charging node they have more flexibility and I’d guess will tie into the 10-25kV delivery points. Easy peasy then as the source currents go down as the inverse of the input voltage rising. IE if you need 10A at 220V you only need 0.1A at 22kV. A much simpler power stage.

That sounds completely believable.

I may have to get one as a company car for my son. That may be the only way to get him to start driving! He recently let it be known he will come to work in Dad’s company when he’s done at Rice in the Spring. Now I gots to figure out how to instill some work ethic, and make use of his training in computer science.
Put all his stuff on the curb and change the locks?

Hopefully you’ll make a nice profit when Elon buys Lucid

I honestly don't think he's the type to buy out another company just because of the competition. He's more of the kind of person who will just outperform them in the market and keep his prices low enough to force them out.

Hertz CEO Out As Firm Seeks Traction After Big EV Bet Goes Bust

CEO Stephen Scherr's barely two-year ride with Hertz came to a screeching halt on Friday. In his wake, he leaves a company still working to recover from a big bet on electric vehicles gone bad. It will do so under new CEO Gil West, whose previous posts include executive roles at Delta Air Lines and the Cruise unit of General Motors.

Scherr, who came on board in February 2022 after 30 years at Goldman Sachs, ushered the company through its emergence from bankruptcy. Hertz's EV push began in the previous year, with a splashy move to order 100,000 Tesla Model 3 vehicles. After taking the reins of the Estero, Florida-headquartered company, Scherr doubled down on the green vision, committing to purchased another 65,000 EVs from Polestar, a Swedish company.

Reactions: norrislakevol
Hertz CEO Out As Firm Seeks Traction After Big EV Bet Goes Bust

CEO Stephen Scherr's barely two-year ride with Hertz came to a screeching halt on Friday. In his wake, he leaves a company still working to recover from a big bet on electric vehicles gone bad. It will do so under new CEO Gil West, whose previous posts include executive roles at Delta Air Lines and the Cruise unit of General Motors.

Scherr, who came on board in February 2022 after 30 years at Goldman Sachs, ushered the company through its emergence from bankruptcy. Hertz's EV push began in the previous year, with a splashy move to order 100,000 Tesla Model 3 vehicles. After taking the reins of the Estero, Florida-headquartered company, Scherr doubled down on the green vision, committing to purchased another 65,000 EVs from Polestar, a Swedish company.
he must of gotten one of those vaunted BA degrees

The real problem with Tesla, and probably all the EV cars, is the battery packs. As illustrated when Florida had flooding earlier this year.
1710682576022.png

I imagine this is fake. No guy is that stupid, well except Biden voters. 😏
Nope, MAGA dopies I see their stupidity on the road often enough in my area. But to be fair, when I venture into cities, I have no doubt some of the antics I witness are done by both species of nitwits, no doubt at all.

VN Store

Back