Hertz Orders 100k Teslas

Great idea. So the connector contact point generates so much heat due to conduction losses that they solve the problem by adding better heat removal capability in the car connection point enabling higher charging currents at assumably the same operating voltage.

Next up in the fail chain… the old ass power grid unable to support all these higher charging nodes simultaneously on the grid. Or more likely a stable charger design capable of handling high source impedances in the old ass power grid in the majority of homes and neighborhoods that will want to use this rapid charge technology to make EVs more feasible.

If this new cable can charge more quickly it will be still limited by the speed of the high power charging station. It will be interesting to see if they've solved the overheating problem or will a few cars have to catch on fire and get better with time.

One of the challenges among many with EV's if the additional time that is added to let's say a trip from Nashville to Orlando. Right now you are looking at about 3-4 stops I'm guessing about 45 minutes each stop at best without refining my calculation looking at miles per charge, air conditioning, braking/acceleration etc. Someone else might have additional info.

Great idea. So the connector contact point generates so much heat due to conduction losses that they solve the problem by adding better heat removal capability in the car connection point enabling higher charging currents at assumably the same operating voltage.

Next up in the fail chain… the old ass power grid unable to support all these higher charging nodes simultaneously on the grid. Or more likely a stable charger design capable of handling high source impedances in the old ass power grid in the majority of homes and neighborhoods that will want to use this rapid charge technology to make EVs more feasible.
The newer high current chargers already use a cooling loop in the charger cable to the car. If you listen to any of them when they run, there is a high pitched whine when the coolant starts circulating. I don't have an issue with electric cars, but there is a lot of work that needs to happen to shift the energy from burning millions of barrels of gasoline a day to replacing that with electric "green energy". We need at least 200+ more nuclear reactors to make up for the coal and natural gas plants.

The newer high current chargers already use a cooling loop in the charger cable to the car. If you listen to any of them when they run, there is a high pitched whine when the coolant starts circulating. I don't have an issue with electric cars, but there is a lot of work that needs to happen to shift the energy from burning millions of barrels of gasoline a day to replacing that with electric "green energy". We need at least 200+ more nuclear reactors to make up for the coal and natural gas plants.
The grid is hopelessly doomed to keep up with these peak power loads. And any high power DC/DC intelligent charging amplifier is gonna come with a hefty price tag to handle balancing for high source impedances in old ass grid wiring. A DC/DC converter looks like a negative load impedance and places requirements on its power source. All of this is easily solvable… with the right knowledge and design… that won’t be cheap for quite a while.

Remember that power grid is going to be running on wind and solar power only.

Give the chargers and the cars 10 years when they are abused and the connectors are all full of green slime corrosion after a winter of salt infiltration.

I don't see most EVs making it 10 years. The way I understand it the batteries are only expected to last 4-5 and replacing them costs more than short blocking a combustion engine.

Yah the oddest thing is that the greenies dont like nuclear when it would solve a lot of our generation issues - especially smaller scale ones like Aurora Nuclear Plant | A Tiny Nuclear Plant Is Coming to Idaho that use nuclear waste and minimize long transmission lines (thus reducing cost).

Cant have EVs all over the place until you have real and CHEAP power. Windfarms and solar have their place but not as primary power gen.

Reactions: hog88
I'm pro EV but the fire risk that suggests you should charge the car outside is a killer. I notice in EV ads they show them being charged in the driveway. What's the point of having a garage if I have to leave my car out all night to charge.

I'm pro EV but the fire risk that suggests you should charge the car outside is a killer. I notice in EV ads they show them being charged in the driveway. What's the point of having a garage if I have to leave my car out all night to charge.
I have an electric bike and they recommend charging the battery in the oven.

do what? I have a couple e-bikes and never heard that?
Pretty much bought a kit from Luna cycles in California and built my own. Maybe a couple of years have passed and they feel okay with charging anywhere. I always charge the battery on the counter top and so far I'm not dead.

Reactions: volinbham
Dumb question for the engineers...are we ever gonna get rid of power lines?...like is buried cable feasible or too dangerous

VN Store

Back