Here's Butch on the 2017 class.

Unless I have missed something, we are in a very good position to land Trey Smith (who is the number one player in the country on ESPN).

Of all the things to worry about in regards to this staff, recruiting isn't one them. Especially in July.

And the odds just went up since Butch hired Trey's sister. Got to love the ingenuity.

After the last 3 years, I am convinced he knows what he is doing. To get a top 10 class will be even tougher than the top 5 classes of the last 2 years. Can't sell the possibility of playing time any longer.

Alabama, Georgia, and LSU can't sell early playing time at most positions, and they seem to be racking up. Don't fool yourself. And that's just 3 SEC teams I mentioned.

Reactions: 1 person
You probably are right my fellow Kingsport buddy but we got ourselves into trouble by signing way too many 3* recruits so early on. I know programs like Bama, Ohio State, Georgia, Michigan, & Clemson are going to probably get quite a few more 4*-5* recruits. That's going to hurt our overall class but you never know where some of these guys will go.

Right now, we are 9th compositely from 247 Sports but like you or somebody said that's
because of quantity right now instead of quality. After NSD, that will change & it will be towards quality than quantity.

I still say we can get at least one 5* recruit & possibly two. We get two-three 4* recruits to
add to that & we will still get a top 15 class.
Maybe even be closer to a top 10 class at around #11-#13 or so.

I would love a top 10 class but signing way too many 3* recruits may have doomed us in doing that. I'm sure we will let a few of these 3* players go if needed but I'd say we're
stuck with most of them.

Even if we only get a top 15 class that means Butch has put us top 15 or better in every single class since he's been here. However, we must get more of like we got in 2015 in a
top 5 class to get back to consistent power in
college football. Thanks!

Top 15 classes don't cut it in big boy football. Top 10 maybe. Top 5 is what's needed. Especially when so many were on here saying this class would be epic. thanks!

That's what someone says with a class like we have currently commited. Bet you weren't saying that in Jalen Hurds class.

I'm saying it because its a fact. I want to win the recruiting war as much as the next guy. But the truth is, and I know the
truth is painful for some of you, is that the NFL is filled with 2* and Unrated high school talent.

Top 15 classes don't cut it in big boy football. Top 10 maybe. Top 5 is what's needed. Especially when so many were on here saying this class would be epic. thanks!

That really depends on your definition of big boy football. If you mean to win a national championship, then you're correct. If you mean to consistently finish with a top 10-15 ranking, then you're incorrect. Plenty of teams in recent history have shown you can consistently finish with a top 10-15 ranking pretty much regardless of recruiting success.

And if Butch and Co. can keep us in the top 15 consistently and give us a playoff run every ~4 years, I'll be happy enough.

I'm saying it because its a fact. I want to win the recruiting war as much as the next guy. But the truth is, and I know the
truth is painful for some of you, is that the NFL is filled with 2* and Unrated high school talent.

Which teams have won the SEC 2* players. This isn't the @&$#! WAC.

Just a minute, put that in context. All three of those guys took over programs in turmoil. They fixed all their problems and are now capitalizing on it. Bama, Clemson, and OSU
were not championship caliber programs when these guys took over, and that is my point.

I think I just misinterpreted what you meant by that. I apologize. Butch has done the first 2 , took over a team in turmoil & fixed all their problems. If we go at least 10-2 & win the east, we should be able to capitalize on it as well. I honestly believe the sky is the limit for 120. While I'm not ready to guarantee to be in the playoffs like d4h, I do believe we have the talent to make a serious run at it & wouldn't be surprised if we do get in. I know 1 thing for sure, the season can't get here fast enough.

I think I just misinterpreted what you meant by that. I apologize. Butch has done the first 2 , took over a team in turmoil & fixed all their problems. If we go at least 10-2 & win the east, we should be able to capitalize on it as well. I honestly believe the sky is the limit for 120. While I'm not ready to guarantee to be in the playoffs like d4h, I do believe we have the talent to make a serious run at it & wouldn't be surprised if we do get in. I know 1 thing for sure, the season can't get here fast enough.

Its becomes he jumps higher he sees the future, I rather go 88mph in my nuclear accelerator

There is one truth that all here should be able to agree on. To be successful at schools in states without large numbers of 4/5* recruits every year, a coach has to be unusually successful at find 5* talent with 3* ratings.

That's true of Arkansas, SC, UT, Oregon, Washington, ASU, Arizona, OU, Nebraska, etc.

Without doubt, Cam Sutton is one. Dobbs is certainly better than his 3* rating.

We have to hope that Jones is that coach for UT.... because the future of the program appears to be pinned on 3* players in critical roles.

Has anyone ever heard a SEC head coach come to the microphone on signing day and tell the world they were anything but thrilled with the kids they just signed? If the class doesn't rank that high, they have character. If they aren't fast they have a high motor. If they lack size they have a great work ethic. It's contagious.

Vanderbilt.

Neither is Saban, Dabo, Urban, etc. etc.

No they are selling natties. They didnt have to follow Dooley and his poor recruiting. I find it funny that we thought AJ was a good player before the rape crap. He was slow and could only play if you ran between tackles. But he represented what Dooleys best players. Good at time but still really flawed.
Thats what Butch had to work with and none of the coaches you mentioned followed a similar path.

I agree with you but Butch has brought us up there. We can't expect him to get a top 5 class every single year just yet. He's already had two of them. You're right though in order to challenge for consistent SEC & national championships we need be top 5 almost every single year.

Reckon how many 2 stars the Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson rosters are filled with? Nobody gives an ish about the NFL. This is VOLNation, not NFLnation....and nobody wins a national title in college football with a roster full of 2 star rated athletes.

There is one truth that all here should be able to agree on. To be successful at schools in states without large numbers of 4/5* recruits every year, a coach has to be unusually successful at find 5* talent with 3* ratings.

That's true of Arkansas, SC, UT, Oregon, Washington, ASU, Arizona, OU, Nebraska, etc.

Without doubt, Cam Sutton is one. Dobbs is certainly better than his 3* rating.

We have to hope that Jones is that coach for UT.... because the future of the program appears to be pinned on 3* players in critical roles.

I'm not sure where this narrative got started but everyone repeats it. Dobbs was a 4* recruit. 247 had him ranked as the #147 player overall, #14 in GA, and #10 pro style QB. His ranking was 92 and a ranking in the 90s will always be a 4* grade.

I assume people are mixing up his ranking with Riley Ferguson who was a 3*, ranked #435 overall and the #23 pro style QB. His ranking was 87

Will Butch Jones be able to do more with less?
I don't think it quite works that way in the SEC, do you?

It's hard to beat the best with good, right?

Reckon how many 2 stars the Alabama, Ohio State and Clemson rosters are filled with? Nobody gives an ish about the NFL. This is VOLNation, not NFLnation....and nobody wins a national title in college football with a roster full of 2 star rated athletes.

They are ine in same.. Elite Recruits want a path and program that produces NFL players

They are ine in same.. Elite Recruits want a path and program that produces NFL players

Completely different.

The fact there are more 2stars in the NFL, if that's even true, has nothing to do with the absolute fact that teams with the largest accumulation of 4 and 5 star players are the ones who win college football titles.

VN Store

Back