Here's Butch on the 2017 class.

There's a lot of players we want that we're losing to other schools. Butch is talking and what he sounds good. However, at the end of the year if we don't have highly touted recruits we will not be a great team come two-three years. I think if we win a lot of games this year we'll have good players signing in February. I'd still like to see great players from the state stay here and not leave. Butch needs to address that.

Reactions: 2 people
There's a lot of players we want that we're losing to other schools. Butch is talking and what he sounds good. However, at the end of the year if we don't have highly touted recruits we will not be a great team come two-three years. I think if we win a lot of games this year we'll have good players signing in February. I'd still like to see great players from the state stay here and not leave. Butch needs to address that.

OY! You think thats not a priority?

It's a priority, he's just failing at that priority.

Not necessarily.
Some of our greatest years, there was hardly any talent in the state of Tennessee.

I want elite talent, but the lockdown the state theory is just not sound.
I want kids who want to play for UT, not kids who are close but would rather be somewhere else.
Since Peyton is so legendary here and does so much for the University, I think he's a great example that you don't have to be from Tennessee to be the preferred VFL.

Fans might as well unwind and stop polarizing over whether this class is going to be championship level or not. Not only are we 6 mos out from actual signing day. But, it will take at least 2 more seasons to determine what this group really is.

Agreed. Let's just focus on the upcoming season, it promises to be a great one. When it unfolds as expected, the 2017 class will look a bit different than it does now 😉 ! GBO

Reactions: 1 person
I get a lot of confidence listening to Doug Mathews talk about recruiting. If you aren't aware of his radio show, I highly recommend giving him a listen. He's on live on 104.5 "the zone" on Sunday mornings at 8:00 am (Central). I usually can't listen live, so I just pull up the podcasts.

PODCAST |

He has an inside scoop with the staff that brings a lot to the forefront, much like Hubbs on VolQuest. He has the recruiting staff on regularly. Last week, he mentioned how they now have a presence in the Hampton Roads area in Virginia (Norfolk, Newport News, Va. Beach) that is a hotbed of Talent, and he mentioned Vols from the past that came from that area.

Much of what he said has been echoed in other posts in this thread - basically there is room for talent - some of these early commits will be told to move on down the highway when better players flip our way. A winning season or a championship will go a long way in bettering the 2017 class. Long time until Feb.

GO VOLS.

Reactions: 3 people
Has anyone ever heard a SEC head coach come to the microphone on signing day and tell the world they were anything but thrilled with the kids they just signed? If the class doesn't rank that high, they have character. If they aren't fast they have a high motor. If they lack size they have a great work ethic. It's contagious.

Just in case someone needed a reminder, Butch flipped Byrd the night before signing day (4 star), signed Warrior on signing on (#58 nationally, were in a fight with Auburn and others for him) and signed Kongbo on signing day after it looked almost for certain he was going to FSU or Ole Miss. Butch is a wizard, leave him be. We'll be fine, should finish with a top 8 team no problem, especially after this season.

For 3 years Butch has said we either don't have the talent or the experience to win. This is the year those excuses won't hold any water. If he wins big this year then he will flip some good recruits. If he continues to make boneheaded decisions that cost us games against good competition then don't expect a good signing class. If Butch doesn't win big this year we will have a new coaching search after the 2018 season.

Has anyone ever heard a SEC head coach come to the microphone on signing day and tell the world they were anything but thrilled with the kids they just signed? If the class doesn't rank that high, they have character. If they aren't fast they have a high motor. If they lack size they have a great work ethic. It's contagious.

You are correct. However, here's a consideration, do you think Saban looks thru Rivals or ESPN or 247 rankings to find his prospects? I think there is a huge, unspoken element to those sites that uses teams like Bama or OSU or FSU as measuring sticks for their lists.

I believe recruiting matters - a lot - but not necessarily recruiting rankings. Rankings are great and all of us want top ranked classes and attention, but sometimes sites aren't accurate.

Look at a guy like Charles Harris. 2 star prospect. 5 star talent. And I realize not every 2 star story ends like his, but my point is the reason Bama has been successful is due to Saban's ability to identify and recruit top talent, regardless of rankings.

As for Butch, winning on the field is all that matters, so if he does that I don't care where his classes rank. If he doesn't, it also won't matter where his classes rank because he'll likely be earning a buyout.

:huh: Geez O' Pete! Some of you guys just like being miserable.

Don't like it when 3 star guys are committing 7 months from signing day.
Don't like it when the 3 star guy gets told there's not room for him in 6 months.
Don't think there's enough balls to go around when we sign too many 4's and 5's at the same position.

Stay Calm. It'll work out.

Reactions: 4 people
That's the problem Tony, he will probably land one. The problem is Georgia, Bama, and even Clemson are landing 7 or more of these big name recruits.

You probably are right my fellow Kingsport buddy but we got ourselves into trouble by signing way too many 3* recruits so early on. I know programs like Bama, Ohio State, Georgia, Michigan, & Clemson are going to probably get quite a few more 4*-5* recruits. That's going to hurt our overall class but you never know where some of these guys will go.

Right now, we are 9th compositely from 247 Sports but like you or somebody said that's because of quantity right now instead of quality. After NSD, that will change & it will be towards quality than quantity.

I still say we can get at least one 5* recruit & possibly two. We get two-three 4* recruits to add to that & we will still get a top 15 class. Maybe even be closer to a top 10 class at around #11-#13 or so.

I would love a top 10 class but signing way too many 3* recruits may have doomed us in doing that. I'm sure we will let a few of these 3* players go if needed but I'd say we're stuck with most of them.

Even if we only get a top 15 class that means Butch has put us top 15 or better in every single class since he's been here. However, we must get more of like we got in 2015 in a top 5 class to get back to consistent power in college football. Thanks!

Having 23 commits currently, and 20 of them being 3*, I actually really like the top 15 of the guys that have committed. I could see 6-8 of the lower half of these 3* guys dropping off, leaving room for more four stars and maybe a 5 star or two. Last year we signed a total of 10 four stars, after our first "winning" season in a longggg time. On top of that, we couldn't sell any of those guys on early playing time since we had so many starters coming back. After this year we'll be losing starters at literally every position group (except WR)...and we'll most likely be wrapping up at least a 10-11 win season.

We all know Butch is going to get the job done. Everyone is freaking out because there's nothing to talk about (until fall camp on Monday that is) except in state talent giving half a*s commitments before they've (or we) have even played a down this fall. Chilllll out.

After the last 3 years, I am convinced he knows what he is doing. To get a top 10 class will be even tougher than the top 5 classes of the last 2 years. Can't sell the possibility of playing time any longer.

Agree

Unless I have missed something, we are in a very good position to land Trey Smith (who is the number one player in the country on ESPN).

Of all the things to worry about in regards to this staff, recruiting isn't one them. Especially in July.

Fans might as well unwind and stop polarizing over whether this class is going to be championship level or not. Not only are we 6 mos out from actual signing day. But, it will take at least 2 more seasons to determine what this group really is.

That's right, and as someone said the other day, remember how much different last year's class looked in February than it did in July? Lot's of time, and I trust Butch and the staff to close on some deals like they did with Richmond, Byrd, etc. If it is a dud class then I'll call it a dud class, but not time to panic yet!

Neither is Saban, Dabo, Urban, etc. etc.

You named 3 coaches who've played in the national championship in the last 2 years. IMO, we make it to Atlanta & win 10 plus games, we end up top 5 in recruiting. I think we end up top 15 as long as we don't regress on the field. Can't compare what Butch has 2 sell compared to 3 nationally relevant coaches.

You named 3 coaches who've played in the national championship in the last 2 years. IMO, we make it to Atlanta & win 10 plus games, we end up top 5 in recruiting. I think we end up top 15 as long as we don't regress on the field. Can't compare what Butch has 2 sell compared to 3 nationally relevant coaches.

Just a minute, put that in context. All three of those guys took over programs in turmoil. They fixed all their problems and are now capitalizing on it. Bama, Clemson, and OSU
were not championship caliber programs when these guys took over, and that is my point.

VN Store

Back