Here are 10 questions for the Vols to answer during spring practice - per Adam Sparks

Are you kidding? SEVEN defensive backs transferred? That is bizarre--seriously. What, were they all offered cash to change schools? If so,
it's another example of the sad and pathetic state of college football. And we lost TEN DBs total?

How many freshmen DBs did we sign--and how many DBs transferred in to the Vols? I hope a lot. The unit must have been close to wiped out.

Bruh, we've got 19 DBs on our roster....

He/she posts in the PF every day. Has just as much knowledge and insight regarding politics as our football team apparently.

We signed 7 DBs in last years class alone. ALL SEVEN of them were ranked higher coming out of HS than EVERY DB on the existing roster going into last season except 1. This was before the late portal additions, i believe we had 17DBs on the existing roster. So the 7DBs we brought in were ranked higher than 16 out of 17 guys that were mostly Lyles recruits.

The youngest guys will fill most of the spots in our 5DB base Nickel defense. Guys like:

Thomas
Gibson
Matthews
Charles
Conyers
Harris
Boo etc etc

We have 3 guys 1st name Christian. 2 guys 1st name is Jordan or Jourdan. And of course, Boo. Boo will be a super talented freshman, but if Jourdan Thomas can actually stay healthy the Nickel spot is his to lose IMO. Cant wait to see Fingers reports from practice Monday....GO VOLS

This (defensive backfield) remains the biggest concern for the team iyam. They have to fix that issue ASAP.
Agreed. So why do we keep the assistant around (Martinez) who has been coaching this disaster for 3 seasons now and who 7 current players transferred away from ?
It's understood that some of those guys left for more NIL $$ at another school, but I have a hard time believing they were satisfied with their development.
The defensive backfield has been the one glaring weakness in the program since Heupel's arrival. Why are we keeping this guy ?
I fear that Coach Heupel may be loyal to a fault, assistant coaches and strong arm quarterbacks come to mind.

Are you kidding? SEVEN defensive backs transferred? That is bizarre--seriously. What, were they all offered cash to change schools? If so,
it's another example of the sad and pathetic state of college football. And we lost TEN DBs total?

How many freshmen DBs did we sign--and how many DBs transferred in to the Vols? I hope a lot. The unit must have been close to wiped out.
Considering how bad they were I'm not sure it's much of a loss.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
While I can’t remember their names, I know we picked up a db from Oklahoma state and a db from Middle Tennessee. Have a young group of talented guys, just have to hope they develop.
Can you give me some details on the guy from Oklahoma State? That is surprising news.

What does new secondary look like?​

This is the ONLY question AFAIC. I think we're solid to really really good at every other position! We just need to stay healthy!

Imo db were our weakest position on the field, so we lose them, we should be better at this position, don't really see how we could be much worse.

Pretty sure it’s Oregon State. McCoy is his last name and he played a lot as a freshman last year and played good!

Question will be does his play transfer to SEC? I believe it will but that’s just my opinion!
Yes that’s right, Oregon state. Always get those two confused

I am not prepared to say we upgraded in the defensive backfield. We lost the best DBs on the roster. We may have some new or young faces ready to step up, but I am very concerned until I see the new product on the field. We had a few of guys transfer whom I wanted us to keep (Walker, Slaughter, and McDonald). Burrell and Turnage might have lost their starting slots, but the rest should have been on the field.

I am looking for someone to step up and lead that group. We needed a WR to be the man last season and when Bru's season ended early, that group went quiet. If no DBs make themselves into the Man next season, it can throw some games we should win into the tossup category.

HOF coach Bill Parcels (the Big Tuna) said, "You are who your numbers say you are." Our DB coaches and players need to pay need to that.
Agreed. Of course there are some on here that will defend Martinez and Banks to the bitter end.

HOF coach Bill Parcels (the Big Tuna) said, "You are who your numbers say you are." Our DB coaches and players need to pay need to that.

And on defense, our numbers say:

-defensive touchdowns. #1
-4th down defense #3
-tackles for loss. #4
-sacks. #8
-defensive mayhem #10
-yards per play. #17
-rush defense #19
-points per play #21
-scoring defense. #22
-stop rate #27
-total defense #32
-passes intercepted. #36
-3rd down defense. #42
-pass eff. defense. #54
-red zone defense #86

And before you jump straight to the red zone defensive stat, keep in mind, on offense, we were:
-red zone offense #86
-4th down offense #108

Our numbers say, we had a really good defense, despite the fact that we don't play a complementary style football. Sorry that bothers our "fans".

Reactions: chattaboogie

Ask that question after 3 games and you probably won’t be able to name any of the 7.

I think Helen Keller could see that the secondary was told to leave. It's wild for sure but We weren't going to make them better. Their ceiling was too low in terms of talent. Any of them could play in a lesser league. The whole squad was a 4 out of 10. Flushing the group and reloading statistically ends in an improvement....... talent wise. Can they play as a team? There's the real question.

Reactions: norrislakevol
Jack Lutrell has talent but is just gonna take awhile to develop. Arizona is a good spot for him. The rest of them are good but not SEC level DBs. We will see improvement this year in the secondary.

My question is the Oline depth.

VN Store

Back