Helmet Coming Off Rule

With all the talk about concussions and thw amount they have already changed the game already, you can hardly breath on a qb now, im all for putting the resposibility of prevention of them on the players. A helmet is designed to minimize the damage done only if it is fitted and worn properly. A player who sits out a big play in a game one week might just decide that that other helmet that fit properly but was just a bit too uncomfortable might be the better choice next week.

Reactions: 1 person
They should call this the Henry/Cromartie Rule. These two guys are perfect examples of what happens when you play too much without a helmet.

The problem is guys playing but not snapping all the snaps down because it is uncomfortable. I think the new rule is to bring publicity to how bad the problem is to push teams to correct it.

The problem is guys playing but not snapping all the snaps down because it is uncomfortable. I think the new rule is to bring publicity to how bad the problem is to push teams to correct it.

that's been stated to pretty much be the intention, yes

It is a great rule with two purposes.

First, it is in effect for safety reasons.

Second, the kids have not taken strapping their helmets on seriously. How many times have we seen helmets pop off the past two years? It has caused games to drag on for fixing the helmets.

agree

One of the intended repercussions of this new rule is that the coaches will ensure that the players are wearing the properly sized helmet and that the players buckle them up properly. The NCAA is taking the "Concussion" situation seriously.

i saw a miami linebacker rip the helmet off a bc runningback so that he had to leave lol its a dumb rule if a defender rips it

That's the main problem I see with the rule. It tries to account for this happening with the clause that mentions the sit-out does not apply if the helmet comes off as part of a foul. It doesn't consider the fact that referees frequently miss fouls. I saw this happen yesterday when a QB was sliding head first as a defender tried to tackle him. The defender essentially tried to tackle by getting his forearm under the the mask and lifting up to get the helmet off. QB had to sit the next play. No way that helmet was just popping off like what the rule is trying prevent.

if you completely strap in your helmet, they don't come off. in all my years of football (wore the helmet correctly) it never once came off.

The kids are wearing doo-rags and have their thick hair hanging out of the back. That doe snot allow for a good fit of the helmet.

The kids are going to have to choose the things that are more important to them. If not, a smart coach will do it for them.

The kids are wearing doo-rags and have their thick hair hanging out of the back. That doe snot allow for a good fit of the helmet.

The kids are going to have to choose the things that are more important to them. If not, a smart coach will do it for them.

Nothing is more important than hair. Ask CDD.

The problem is putting 5 gallons of hair under the helmet. Should be a hair length rule during the season just like there is a uniform rule. If the helmet fits the skull properly and the chin straps are buckled, the helmet won't come off.

In before Racist IMO.

That's the main problem I see with the rule. It tries to account for this happening with the clause that mentions the sit-out does not apply if the helmet comes off as part of a foul. It doesn't consider the fact that referees frequently miss fouls. I saw this happen yesterday when a QB was sliding head first as a defender tried to tackle him. The defender essentially tried to tackle by getting his forearm under the the mask and lifting up to get the helmet off. QB had to sit the next play. No way that helmet was just popping off like what the rule is trying prevent.

Is this a reviewable play? If not it should be and actually should be subject to review like every score is since there is a chance that it could have an immediate and adverse effect on the game.

Just throw a flag if you see someone's straps undone by the time the ball is snapped. Five yards is enough to piss off the coaches so it gets taken care of, but won't dramatically change the game by removing someone for a play. Helmets are going to come off no matter what. And frankly, if a big 350 lb lineman had his arms wrapped around my head and was jerking me to the ground, I'd prefer for the helmet to twist off my head instead of breaking my neck.

As the officials review film these first few weeks, they will get a better hold on looking for intentional helmet removal to take guys out for a play and will start flagging it.

No matter how much people complain, this rule isn't going away. They have to do something proactive with the concussion issue coming into bigger light.

Saw someone ask how this prevents concussions. The idea behind the rule is for players to wear the helmet properly, which many guys were not doing. If a player is wearing a properly fitted helmet and had it properly fastened, it's only going to come off under extreme circumstances.

you used to get a penalty if you weren't buckled up, and we had to have mouthpieces in. I believe a mouthpiece on the mask resulted in a penalty too. Of course, that was 25 years ago.

Delay of game penalties would fix the issue.

VN Store

Back