HBO's True Detective

Thought the first episode was pretty good. I did notice two "easter eggs". At the artic research station the only DVD you can see in one frame is The Thing. One of the books the cops find is Blood Meridian. I thought the first episode actually had a bit of "The Thing" vibe going, especially in the last scene..

Reactions: ENGRVOL and vols 30
Thought the first episode was pretty good. I did notice two "easter eggs". At the artic research station the only DVD you can see in one frame is The Thing. One of the books the cops find is Blood Meridian. I thought the first episode actually had a bit of "The Thing" vibe going, especially in the last scene..

It intrigued me enough to keep watching. A lot of stuff happened in the 1st episode. Probably need to watch it again b4 next Sunday

Reactions: FLVOL_79
It intrigued me enough to keep watching. A lot of stuff happened in the 1st episode. Probably need to watch it again b4 next Sunday
Yeah I'm going to have to give it another whirl before the 2nd episode for that same reason.

Reactions: vols 30
Personally I'd skip 2, 3 was ok. Don't go in expecting anything close to season 1 though.

I thought 3 was pretty good, but it had the luxury of following season 2 and that was a lower bar to clear.

I will give 2 credit in that it had such a high bar to clear that it was almost bound to fail. Having said that, if there had been no Season 1 and season 2 was the original it would have been probably accepted somewhat better but still pretty mediocre.

Reactions: Notorious B.E.N
I thought 3 was pretty good, but it had the luxury of following season 2 and that was a lower bar to clear.

I will give 2 credit in that it had such a high bar to clear that it was almost bound to fail. Having said that, if there had been no Season 1 and season 2 was the original it would have been probably accepted somewhat better but still pretty mediocre.
That's fair

Was one of them S1 Episode 4: that Cohle's dad was named "Travis" and that he lived in Alaska, which just happens to be the name of the dead dude?
I hadn't even noticed that one, but there were several instances of the circle-like image that was prominent in season one and the brand of beer at the lab was Lone Star, which was Rust's beer of choice.

First episode of the new season definitely has me hooked. I'm in.

Ugh this antiquated feeling of waiting a week between episodes lol. I want Episode 2 right now.

Yeesh the ending of tonight's episode. What in the world is happening??

My best guess at a couple of theories:

1. The "she" that keeps being alluded to is either Annie, or Navarro's mother

2. Navarro has more connection to Annie than she's letting on. Maybe they are related somehow?

Also, question: the guy that just woke up from the coma, I assume he was the body that screamed in the ice? I'm not sure if that was ever made clear.

I was digging this season at first but it's gone off the rails. The cheap jump scares and ****** dialogue throughout have been weak but they ramped it up further this last episode. Then when we had this beautiful moment I knew this season was lost lol

RDT_20240205_1159224253641300193772618.png

I guess recreating the magic of s1 might be a pipe dream.

I was digging this season at first but it's gone off the rails. The cheap jump scares and ****** dialogue throughout have been weak but they ramped it up further this last episode. Then when we had this beautiful moment I knew this season was lost lol

View attachment 617929

I guess recreating the magic of s1 might be a pipe dream.

I'm still enjoying it a lot.

It's just dragging now. Whoever wrote the dialogue for her "Wrong question.....wrong question.....wrong question," needs to be sent to St Helena via the 19th century.

I'm not really digging the "supernatural" vibe of this season, but the parts that are more just straight detective stuff is pretty good. I just think it's trying to be too "X-File" like.

Reactions: just bob
It's just dragging now. Whoever wrote the dialogue for her "Wrong question.....wrong question.....wrong question," needs to be sent to St Helena via the 19th century.
There's only 1 episide left, so this last one has got to better.

It's been OK. I'd put it just a little above season 2 if I was ranking the seasons. This final episode needs to bring it

Season 4 is likely the worst season of a series that I've ever watched. Epic levels of God-forsaken terrible. The acting was so bad that it wouldn't surprise me if the Academy takes back the 'Best Actress Award' from Foster for Silence of the Lambs. Just awful. I should have learned after Season 2.

VN Store

Back