HBO's True Detective

Season 4 is likely the worst season of a series that I've ever watched. Epic levels of God-forsaken terrible. The acting was so bad that it wouldn't surprise me if the Academy takes back the 'Best Actress Award' from Foster for Silence of the Lambs. Just awful. I should have learned after Season 2.
The Academy most definitely should not do that.
The writing was very bad for this season. I don't know what Nick Pizzolatto did to piss off HBO, but it had to be something pretty big.
I liked Season 3.

Literally the only decent episode was the first. And the whole show should have been condensed to a 2 hour movie combining ep 1 and ep 6 because 2-5 were pointless.

Reactions: tvolsfan
Really really wanted to like this season because of the premise and I respect Foster a lot but this season was absolutely awful.

There was a good show in there somewhere but it got lost in way too many contrived plot points and plotholes along with some idiotic writing.

That last episode from beginning to end along with the big reveal was just some of the dumbest TV I've seen in awhile.

Kali Reis who played Navarro couldn't hold a candle to Foster acting-wise either.

due to all the controversy and polarization I thought Id power through and see what I think. Im halfway through episode 4 and it is not good. I think Im siding with Nic.

It's not even the worst season of True Detective. Season 2 was still far worse than this one. It was a let down but all of Season 2 was a giant bore.

Personally I liked season 2. The big street shootout was ten times better than anything that happened in season 4. Season 4 was pure drudgery. Terrible dialogue, cliche after cliche, false endings that made me puke. Whenever you see three people listed under "written by" you know you are in trouble.

Someone please defend this crap that has actually sat through it and tell me why it deserved a renewal. I almost think Pizolatto criticized in public to punch up the numbers and make it controversial.

you have the floor...
the whole "The Thing" meets "dyatlovs pass" take was good and I enjoyed the suspense of the story as it built up. I knew there wouldn't be anything supernatural really going on, that's what True Detective does. There is no way this season is worse than Season 2. Season 2 had terrible acting.

Reactions: bignewt
the whole "The Thing" meets "dyatlovs pass" take was good and I enjoyed the suspense of the story as it built up. I knew there wouldn't be anything supernatural really going on, that's what True Detective does. There is no way this season is worse than Season 2. Season 2 had terrible acting.

The writing in season two was far, far superior. Vince Vaughn was better than Jodie but of course he had way better material to work with.

The supernatural stuff in 4 didnt bother me and unlike season one they made it actually real. Its so easy to find an ice cave in the dark during a category 4 blizzard.

But there were quite a few things that were introduced then went no where. Then it seemed they thought oh lets make Jodie Foster's whole persona because of a dead kid. And also lets just put the other lead in a trance when they inevitably get split up like its a scooby doo cartoon.

Let's feel sorry for John Hawkes(terrific actor btw) character who was the only cop in the universe who got taken by a Russian. Oh wait! No he is evil and tries to kill his boss!

The one on one scenes with the two women, especially the last episode I could have written better while taking a dump.

Rebuttal?

The writing in season two was far, far superior. Vince Vaughn was better than Jodie but of course he had way better material to work with.

The supernatural stuff in 4 didnt bother me and unlike season one they made it actually real. Its so easy to find an ice cave in the dark during a category 4 blizzard.

But there were quite a few things that were introduced then went no where. Then it seemed they thought oh lets make Jodie Foster's whole persona because of a dead kid. And also lets just put the other lead in a trance when they inevitably get split up like its a scooby doo cartoon.

Let's feel sorry for John Hawkes(terrific actor btw) character who was the only cop in the universe who got taken by a Russian. Oh wait! No he is evil and tries to kill his boss!

The one on one scenes with the two women, especially the last episode I could have written better while taking a dump.

Rebuttal?

Rebuttal?
Season 1 is possibly the greatest thing I have ever watched. Season 3 was good, I enjoyed it; but, nowhere close to Season 1...if there had never been Season 1, I probably would have liked it even more. I liked Season 2, just not under the True Detective banner, you know. It was good; and, I believe it would have been better received had it been it's own thing...not a True Detective season.

With that being said, I made it about 30 mins into Season 4, before I turned it off. I could go into a myriad of other reasons...but, the main one, the writing was about as bad as I have ever come across. It was not intelligent or provoking, in ANY way...no layers or subtlety, whatsoever. Felt like I was watching your basic, dumbed-down broadcast television show.

They ran Pizzolato off, or whatever happened there; then proceeded to hire someone who could have cared less about the foundations, about what made it great in the first place, and ruined it.

I don’t feel better for the experience but it was no John From Cincinnati.

VN Store

Back