HBO's "Game of Thrones"

Read the book on a suggestion from a friend. Will never take their suggestion again. Juvenile writing combined with a trite and predictable plotline. Disappointed in HBO for picking this up.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Predictable if you're well versed in the War of the Roses.

I read the first two books. I thought they were pretty good for the genre. I started to borrow the third one from my sister, but she got to complaining about how long the author was taking to write the upcoming one, and so I did a little Googling and found out that the author was A) taking five or six years between books, B) over 60 years old and about 150 pounds overweight. I'm gonna wait till he finishes the whole series up before I spend any more time on it.

Yep, I'm going to be quite peeved if he kicks the bucket before finishing the series.

Yep, loosely based on the war of the roses.

2nd book is favorite in the series. Hope it makes it to season 2, this thing has to be massively expensive to make. Rome only made it 2 seasons (of course, not sure story-wise they could have done much more).

On a separate note, I'm 1/2 into the Stand am looking forward to watching the older mini-series once I'm done.

I read the first two books. I thought they were pretty good for the genre. I started to borrow the third one from my sister, but she got to complaining about how long the author was taking to write the upcoming one, and so I did a little Googling and found out that the author was A) taking five or six years between books, B) over 60 years old and about 150 pounds overweight. I'm gonna wait till he finishes the whole series up before I spend any more time on it.

The fifth book is being released on July 12.

I am going to be quite disappointed if he doesn't get the series finished.

Yeah the 5th book comes out this summer and I think he has two more planned to finish the series so who knows when they'll come out. Just saw that the show was already renewed for a 2nd season. It'll be based on the 2nd book, A Clash of Kings.

The fifth book is being released on July 12.

I am going to be quite disappointed if he doesn't get the series finished.

Got it pre-ordered. Wanted to reread the others though before I started it.

According to the internet -- so it must be true -- part of the delay in the upcoming book was that Martin was heavily involved with the HBO production. Let's hope he doesn't have to spend quite so much time on season two.

Definitely going to wait to see how long it takes him to get book six out before I read anymore though. I don't want to have six books down, one to go, and then be waiting on a 72 year old guy to finish a 1200 page finale.

So far, so good. Going to be interesting to see how they deal with the massive influx of characters throughout this show.

For those of you that haven't read the books, how easy is it to follow?

The beheadings were way down in the second episode...

To answer MystifyingVol - it would be easier to follow without the accents. I'm sure I've missed some important details but I didn't miss the blondie getting the doggy style.

Well, I am excited about the show.

I thought the books were entertaining. I enjoyed the narrative and the character development.

DVRing it until I finish Camelot.

The books are, IMHO, second only to Tokein in epic fantasy writing. If the series is anything like them, though, be prepared to wait a looooooooong time between seasons as it progresses. At least there is a pretty solid publication date for the next installment, though.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing it on the screen.

Another good episode....Tyrion Lannister is quickly becoming my favorite character.

Another good episode....Tyrion Lannister is quickly becoming my favorite character.

Yep, one of my favorites as well. Episode last night condensed a LOT of the book material into a small space, I was impressed that they were able to keep the overall arc intact while having to take liberties to shorten the story.

I can't imagine the issues with trying to get this book condensed down into 10 episodes.

I have not read the books, love the show and have a question. How many times does the throne(s) change hands?

VN Store

Back