Has Saban Built A Dynasty?

Fair point, considering Nebraska came within a missed FG from beating FSU, Miami and Florida in consecutive years to win three straight national titles, in addition to the split title in '97.

Nebraska didn't play in the deepest conference back then, but those were some incredible teams.

'95 Nebraska is probably the greatest team of all time.

The Big 8 was a two horse race for most of that time, so Nebraska's schedule wasn't terribly daunting, but I'm not going to argue that the mid-90s run isn't the greatest ever.

What's funny is Alabama will probably still be winning these in five or ten years. Face it: There is no other program even remotely close right now.

Put down the Koolaid, I guess Georgia, Florida, ATM, LSU and SC, are no where close to the "Great" Alabama.

What's funny is Alabama will probably still be winning these in five or ten years. Face it: There is no other program even remotely close right now.

Nebraska fizzled out, Bama will as well.

Thus far, Saban has been able to get blue chip recruits to buy in to a team in which they will fight very hard for a starting spot and, for most of them, if they earn that starting spot it will not be until their junior year. In the SEC, the Pac-12, the BigXII, and the BIG, losing one or two of those recruits to a solid rival (e.g., Bama losing a blue chip to LSU, UA, UF, UGA, etc.) could be the difference between a season which ends in a conference championship and BCS championship, and a season which ends in no conference championship and the Citrus Bowl.

Basically, it is highly unlikely that Saban keeps that program two and three levels deep in incredible talent over the long haul.

Alabama is far from unbeatable. They could have very easily have lost 3 games this year. You could argue that they should have lost to LSU. They were outplayed almost all of that game.

Put down the Koolaid, I guess Georgia, Florida, ATM, LSU and SC, are no where close to the "Great" Alabama.

Looking solely at talent at every position, I would believe:

Alabama beats Georgia 8 out of 10
Alabama beats Florida 8 out of 10
Alabama beats SC 8 out of 10
Alabama beats aTm 8 out of 10 (remember, McCarron turned the ball over a lot in that game)
Alabama beats LSU 6 out of 10.

However, when you add coaching to the mix, as well, I think:
9/10
9/10
7/10
8/10
8/10

Looking solely at talent at every position, I would believe:

Alabama beats Georgia 8 out of 10
Alabama beats Florida 8 out of 10
Alabama beats SC 8 out of 10
Alabama beats aTm 8 out of 10 (remember, McCarron turned the ball over a lot in that game)
Alabama beats LSU 6 out of 10.

However, when you add coaching to the mix, as well, I think:
9/10
9/10
7/10
8/10
8/10

Agreed. With LSU's departures it might be worse for them as well. That's why I say no one is close to them now.

Will they lose a game next year? Probably. Saban has a loss each year. It should have been UT in 2009. They're still heads above the rest of the NCAA.

Will things change? Yes,these runs are always cyclical, but the situation will probably not change any time soon.

It's hard to imagine them maintaining this type of success, even as good as Saban is, the odds of it are slim.. Now they'll always be in the mix as long as he's there. If he keeps right on winning titles then he will have bucked the trend..

Every team ends up needing a little luck in the course of a season.. Bama needed Kansas State and Oregon losses just to get there..

:lolabove:I forgot a dynasty was judged by SEC titles won instead of NCAA titles won.

Allow me to introduce you to FSU fan...according to FSU fan your team a dynasty if they finish in the Top 5 for over a decade, with only two national titles to show for it.

Consistent excellence, yes.

Dynasty, not so much.

Last edited:
I guess ESPN running on their ticker after the game that Bama = 9 titles and ND = 8 is a lie then?

If my math is right Bryant has 6 Saban has the rest.

That's two guys that ESPN counts. and I'll take them over Bama homers and message board goers.
1. You're math is wrong. Gene Stallings in 92.
2. So since you're taking what ESPN counts, that means UT has 2.

Allow me to introduce you to FSU fan...according to FSU fan your team a dynasty if they finish in the Top 5 for over a decade, with only two national titles to show for it.

Consistent excellence, yes.

Dynasty, not so much.

Ughh FSU fans:banghead2:Kind of sad when you think about all those top 5 teams and only 2 titles. But then you remember it FSU:)

Their top 5 streak from back then means jack and ****, considering how awful the ACC was. Definitely the Atlanta Braves of the cfb world.

Three national titles in four years, and it wouldn't be far out on a limb to think six out of eight is possible.

So who remember's the last 6 SEC champs? Yes it is hard to win the SEC title, but National Championships are what matter not conference titles.

I just having a hard time calling a team a dynsaty when it has only won its own league twice in six years.

Harder to win an SEC title during those 6 years than a national title.

I'm sure if Tennessee was in the middle of run like Bama's having, you wouldn't consider it a dynasty either, because you are 100% objective and have no bias whatsoever against Alabama. :yes:

VN Store

Back