Harrison Bailey: Is he benefitting from exceptional talent around him? Or is he the real deal?

I don’t follow recruiting as much as many of the folks on here.

I saw a fan of another school on Reddit’s CFB forum say that Harrison Bailey isn’t as good as advertised and that he has benefitted from D1 talent playing with him.

I looked into it and was disappointed to find out well over half his offensive production was to two main targets: one being a 6’5 250 lb 5* tight end recruit going to LSU. The other WR was committed to Michigan State.

I haven’t watched any film or anything.

Should we be worried?

He is legit. The guy was great in junior high. Even Cam Newton thinks he is special.

It can be difficult to tell sometimes. All we know is that Bailey has been very accurate and a very good leader. We've seen similar QBs in Georgia be very successful at the college level (e.g. Fromm, Lawrence).

This is part of the reason I put more stock in accuracy and INT% than yardage, per se, (as yardage tends to be more inflated by great receivers) but Bailey is only throwing INTs on every 45 passes (reasonably good ratio) and accuracy was 70% (also good). In high school, I'd say Bailey was better than Jake Fromm, but not as good as Trevor Lawrence. We'll have to see how that translates.

His lack of mobility is really the only thing that concerns me. That's partly why the contrast between Bailey and Maurer is interesting. Almost completely reverse high school experiences. Bailey played for a great team; Maurer played for a terrible team. Bailey is not great at scrambling, while Maurer may have Josh Dobbs like ability in that realm. Bailey seems like the stronger leader and passer, but we don't have any college experience to draw on yet.

Overall, I'm optimistic about Bailey, but I don't view him as a "cant-miss" prospect like some on here. We'll get a hint of how he looks in the spring. And I would not rule out Maurer or even Shrout winning the job either. (I continue to think Maurer has the "highest upside", but Bailey may be the more college-ready prospect).

Will HB still be wearing #5, since that's Palmer's number.
I guess it's just how attached Palmer is to that number.
Or will we have #5 throwing to #5:Do_O

He had D1 talent on his team, but everyteam he played had D1 talent on it. That tells me he is closer to making the next jump to college because he was playing with and against top talent and is use to a quicker and more complex game than most high school quarterbacks. I value this over someone who put up great numbers on a field with nobodies on his team or the other team.

I saw a fan of another school on Reddit’s CFB forum say that Harrison Bailey isn’t as good as advertised and that he has benefitted from D1 talent playing with him.

I looked into it and was disappointed to find out well over half his offensive production was to two main targets: one being a 6’5 250 lb 5* tight end recruit going to LSU. The other WR was committed to Michigan State.

Should we be worried?
Arik in the games I watched dropped a few bald he should have caught. Bailey has a really good arm. Don’t get me wrong the two receivers were studs but the same could be said about them. The reason they looked so good is because they had a great qb.

Reactions: Remy and FïreBall
It’s really pretty simple when you think about it a little deeper than than the surface of what you see on Friday nights. As an opposing defensive coordinator you don’t have to worry much about HB racking up yards on the ground of busted plays. You do however have to worry about how you’re going to cover a 6’5 250 lb WR that can run like a deer in AG while also covering the blazing speed of #7 on the other side. You can’t dbl cover both in a 3+ WR set so do you cover the 3rd wr with a lb or leave one of the 2 in single coverage? Zone? No matter what you do to cover them you expose yourself to #28 in the run game because you can’t blitz and therefore have to resort to stunts upfront. It’s a true “pick your poison” offense in Merietta that won’t be the case here at Tennessee. I can see the OPs concern because I’ve felt the same way. A great qb will make good receivers great as well as great receivers making a good qb great. At the Hs level there are very few teams that have the capability of 1on1 coverage of those 2 guys as well as the ability to stack the box against the run and/or create pressure on the qb. The WRs are more evenly matched by DBs at this level and therefore I personally wouldn’t be surprised if HB struggled.

Reactions: Coach_Z

Should we be worried?
So he got his playmakers the ball? That's a problem now?

It’s really pretty simple when you think about it a little deeper than than the surface of what you see on Friday nights. As an opposing defensive coordinator you don’t have to worry much about HB racking up yards on the ground of busted plays. You do however have to worry about how you’re going to cover a 6’5 250 lb WR that can run like a deer in AG while also covering the blazing speed of #7 on the other side. You can’t dbl cover both in a 3+ WR set so do you cover the 3rd wr with a lb or leave one of the 2 in single coverage? Zone? No matter what you do to cover them you expose yourself to #28 in the run game because you can’t blitz and therefore have to resort to stunts upfront. It’s a true “pick your poison” offense in Merietta that won’t be the case here at Tennessee. I can see the OPs concern because I’ve felt the same way. A great qb will make good receivers great as well as great receivers making a good qb great. At the Hs level there are very few teams that have the capability of 1on1 coverage of those 2 guys as well as the ability to stack the box against the run and/or create pressure on the qb. The WRs are more evenly matched by DBs at this level and therefore I personally wouldn’t be surprised if HB struggled.
Really, I guess you take kids that haven’t really done crap and they get HB and all of the sudden they are world beaters. AG never play O before Marietta and struggled with drops and fumbles for years. #7 isn’t blazing fast as you say thats why Tenn didn’t take him.( he wanted to go to Tenn bad). He had a real break out year with over 100 catches.
His 3rd WR had over 700 yds over 50 catches. None of his WR ran no faster that a 4.8.
These kids came to Marietta to Play with HB no other reason. Why I guess they liked him so much they wanted to make him look good. No they all knew if they played with the best QB in the country they would eat.
BTW he avg more yds a game passing as a freshman than any other year. With not one kid that year going D1. He had 22 dropped passes in one game that year. I remember Keyton was a sophomore that year and dropped 9 in one half.
So you see I can’t tell how good he is going to be in college but was just told last week he knows more about football than BM or JTS. I do know this he will push everyone in that room! He will make them get better or he will make them get out of his way!!!!
Deposit that sh!t in your bank!!!!!!!’

Should we be worried?

I'll gv you a lil run down on HB. As a sophomore and rising Jr HB came to our NPA camp that we hosted with Mike Vick. HB blew Vick's mind. He made every single throw and read on time and without flaw. I think of the 15 or so challenges Vick gave HB he only missed maybe 2. The thing is HB has trained with the best qb coach since middle school. He has trained with the likes of Hunter Johnson who was #1 and wanted to cm to UT but Butch blew it, Trevor Lawrence, and many other qbs who are D1 starters. Kid is very cerebral and has true are talent and for the record his numbers didn't start this yr. So double check that regardless of Gilbert being the man. Keyton also played with him his Jr year. Their Rb is going to be big time next year.

Will HB still be wearing #5, since that's Palmer's number.
I guess it's just how attached Palmer is to that number.
Or will we have #5 throwing to #5:Do_O

Might. Players have been known to give their number to an incoming or new player. I'd like to see him wearing number 13 just for the "hail" of it. Or even number 0. Daring and defiant is the way to go.

Reactions: sechamp2012
Really, I guess you take kids that haven’t really done crap and they get HB and all of the sudden they are world beaters. AG never play O before Marietta and struggled with drops and fumbles for years. #7 isn’t blazing fast as you say thats why Tenn didn’t take him.( he wanted to go to Tenn bad). He had a real break out year with over 100 catches.
His 3rd WR had over 700 yds over 50 catches. None of his WR ran no faster that a 4.8.
These kids came to Marietta to Play with HB no other reason. Why I guess they liked him so much they wanted to make him look good. No they all knew if they played with the best QB in the country they would eat.
BTW he avg more yds a game passing as a freshman than any other year. With not one kid that year going D1. He had 22 dropped passes in one game that year. I remember Keyton was a sophomore that year and dropped 9 in one half.
So you see I can’t tell how good he is going to be in college but was just told last week he knows more about football than BM or JTS. I do know this he will push everyone in that room! He will make them get better or he will make them get out of his way!!!!
Deposit that sh!t in your bank!!!!!!!’
No need to get so excited over a post that merely explains matchups and the effects on a defense. You should calm down buddy. Btw, what you were TOLD is someone’s opinion. I’ve been TOLD the same things by people who don’t KNOW them both to determine one way or the other. I’ve also been TOLD the exact opposite. So what you’re TOLD means nothing really.

HB is for real. He makes the receivers around him better. Keyton had 1294 yards and 16 tds when Bailey was a Sophomore, and that was in fewer games than this year’s Marietta team played. HB is gonna find his targets, no matter who they are.

VN Store

Back