Gruden Thread Daily Cliff's Notes **INFO ONLY - No Discussion Please**

Status
Not open for further replies.
LWS on TOS after asked about Babyvol and presser today.

its not likely to happen IMO. i'm less than 5% chance.. closer to 1 than 5.

he believes what his sources are telling him.

that is all any of us can do unless we are Dave Hart, Jim Haslam or Jon Gruden. and I ain't any of those dudes.

Reactions: 1 person
Doc, Jeff and Heather Show - 8:50am 11/30

Jimmy Hyams came on and said the deal with Gruden is not happening and he is 100% confident.

Jimmy Hyams is reporting this, after coming on The Zone at 8 eastern and claiming UT and Gruden has had ZERO contact to this point.

Basically, this report totally contradicts what he reported on Nashville radio 30 minutes prior.

(I think mods should consider deleting all posts that cite Jimmy Hyams!)

Reactions: 21 people
@realfreemancbs Reported earlier this week Gruden would speak with Tennessee AD. He has and source close to Gruden confirms he told the Vols no thanks.

Mike Freeman CBS NFL Insider claiming Gruden source.

UPDATED 9:33 a.m. ET: CBSSports.com NFL insider Mike Freeman, one of the most respected names in the big-boy league game, has confirmed Hyams’ report via Twitter.

Just read this on google when I googled "Jon Gruden"

"Tennessee will need to find a new target for its obsession, as Jon Gruden has reportedly told the Vols he isn't interested in the job.

Jimmy Hyams, a radio host on the Sports Animal in Knoxville, Tenn., reported that Gruden informed UT of his decision, after having phone talks last week.

Gruden became the focus of Volunteer fans based on Gruden's track record as a NFL coach, his short stint as a graduate assistant with UT and the fact that his wife was a Tennessee cheerleader.

This led to fans tweeting blurry pictures of Gruden watching a Tennessee game on a flight earlier this year, and crazy rumors like Gruden being offered an ownership stake in the Cleveland Browns (which are now owned by Tennessee alum Jimmy Haslam) if he took the Tennessee job. At VolNation.com, a "Gruden Thread Daily Cliff Notes" topic had reached 1.12 million views by Friday morning. The "Official Jon Gruden Thread XIII" had grown to 228 pages long.

Tennessee will try its best to lure a big-name coach to Knoxville. It just appears, based on this report, that it won't be Gruden."

Time to move on folks...

There will be no afternoon press
conference today for a new football coach at the University of
Tennessee, nor was Jon Gruden ever presented with
any contract or financial details to become the Volunteers' next
football coach. So say sources extremely close to UT's search for Derek Dooley's replacement.

Some half-dozen sources have told VolQuest.com this morning that Gruden both
declined an offer to meet with UT officials, most notably vice
chancellor and director of athletics Dave Hart,
this week and that neither side ever got to a point where a financial
framework was outlined.

"We reached out to coach Gruden.
Coach Gruden after visiting with his family informed us that it was
not a move his family wanted to make at this time. He declined to
meet with Tennessee. Financial considerations were never discussed,"
said a University source Friday morning.

The news comes on the heels of a report
in Friday's editions of the Chattanooga Times Free Press that alleged
Gruden was mulling over an offer and could decide on his own
timeframe, a report labeled "irresponsible" by someone familiar
with proceedings.
Per Hubbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people
Haskew's Facebook just now. He knows about what Hyams is saying and the articles that have been posted on here in the last 30 min:

Are you still sure, Gary?

Gary Haskew Yep
2 minutes ago via mobile · Like

Reactions: 3 people
more from Haskew's FB

Gary Haskew

People, I beg.you.....just relax....do not panic.....good tbings are gonna happen......its gonna come.from Vols and Gruden.when it comes down.....all the rest.of us are waiting

Reactions: 2 people
Facebook:

Gary Haskew
2 minutes ago via mobile
People, I beg.you.....just relax....do not panic.....good tbings are gonna happen......its gonna come.from Vols and Gruden.when it comes down.....all the rest.of us are waiting

Reactions: 2 people
@TennesseeBeat Source: Jon Gruden declined to pursue UT job, Hart moving on to other candidates. Story soon on GoVolsXtra.com

Travis Haney (ESPN) via Twitter

Travis Haney @TravHaneyESPN
Gruden removing name helps Hart avoid an angry fan mob. Now on to a list of better fits.

Reactions: 3 people
Last edited:
Stephen Hargis on TB Show right now.

100% that his article is true and his source is impeccable. It will all fall in the lap of UT if Gruden is not the HC.

Reactions: 5 people
Article on VQ saying that UT never offered contract and that Gruden declined to meet with Hart on Wednesday. This is from source close to the search. It's over.

Jon Gruden is out of the mix for the Tennessee job. Added note: Tennessee is out of the mix for the SEC championship for yrs to come. -- Colin Cowherd (@ESPN_Colin)

Reactions: 12 people
Stephen A. Hargis has had a big week, there's no doubt. The Dooley recruiting stuff, the prospects in the state saying they would like to talk to Jon Gruden and then the big hammer in today's newspaper.

Now it's important to know the following two things about the UT-Gruden deal: First, the offer is verbal, so if/when the non-denial, denials start coming and someone says, "There has not been a contract offered," please know we expected this. And Stephen wrote the A1 story accordingly.

Secondly, there is a big bridge needed to cover the gap between offering a job to Jon Gruden and landing Jon Gruden.

As for the recruiting stuff and the inattention to our area, well, we were flat-out stunned by that to tell the truth. And the fact that Vonn Bell came to have his Best of Preps picture made Thursday in all-Alabama gear screams of the inattention to the area in some ways.

-Jay Greeson TFP Sports Editor
5-at-10: Friday mailbag on Gruden, creating the perfect coach and SEC football coaches as gangsters | timesfreepress.com

Hargis (on Basilio) was adamant about the fact that the only hangup in the negotiations was coaching staff salaries! He stated that money for Gruden was agreed to.

He stated his information was a matter of fact and he stood firm on his article!

If the deal doesn't go it will be on Hart!!!

Reactions: 5 people
SIAP but Carlos Younger on TOS says he has heard rumblings about Bob Stoops stepping down at Oklahoma today. This may or may not have any coincidence to Hart being in Oklahoma last night.

Reactions: 6 people
philkaplan Agent says Gruden never had interest in Vols, calls report 'fantasy.' First on the record report. #vols m.govolsxtra.com/news/2012/nov/…

The agent for former NFL coach Jon Gruden said reports that his client had received an offer from Tennessee were from a “fantasy world” and that Gruden had no interest in the Vols’ head coaching job.

“I haven’t said anything (about the ongoing rumors) because there’s been nothing to say,” said Bob LaMonte, the Reno, Nev.-based representative for Gruden. “This, to me, is just a fantasy world.”

LaMonte said he spoke to Tennessee Athletic Director Dave Hart for the first time this morning.

“He just said there had been a lot of rumors and he just wanted to clear the air,” LaMonte said. “I said, ‘Thank you for the call. I appreciate it.’ He said thank you and that was it.”

LaMonte said Gruden has no plans to leave ESPN, where he is in his fourth season as a commentator for Monday Night Football.

“Jon has made it clear he’s committed to ESPN,” LaMonte said.

LaMonte disputed reports that Gruden had been offered a contract or been negotiating terms to take the Tennessee job.

“I don’t know Dave Hart,” LaMonte said. “I’d never met him or talked to him. (Today) was the only time I talked to anyone from Tennessee.”

A source close to the Tennessee search who asked not to be identified because he was not authorized to speak to the media told the News Sentinel that Tennessee reached out to Gruden directly last week, but Gruden ultimately declined to pursue the job. The source supported LaMonte’s stance that no negotiations took place.

LaMonte said Hart’s call today was apparently a formality.

“He said, ‘I just wanted to do due diligence,’” LaMonte said. “I said, ‘Thank you but Jon has made it clear he’s committed to ESPN. He thanked me and said goodbye.”

Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him at Evan Woodbery (TennesseeBeat) on Twitter.

Reactions: 4 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back