Gruden Thread Daily Cliff's Notes **INFO ONLY - No Discussion Please**

Status
Not open for further replies.
TFP :

The decision about the new University of Tennessee football coach is in the hands of the man most Volunteers fans seem to want.The Chattanooga Times Free Press has learned from sources close to the process that Super Bowl-winning coach Jon Gruden has been extended an offer to succeed Derek Dooley.Sources confirmed that while details are still being negotiated, the university's offer is very lucrative and there is no firm deadline on a decision.Gruden's decision likely will hinge on the money the school is willing to pay for his potential staff, the sources say."Right now, the money is there for him [Gruden], but they aren't as close as he would like for his assistants," one source said. "It could happen as soon as this weekend or go into next week, but he's pretty firm where he is and has already spoken with the guys he wants to be on the staff with him."According to a different source, "He's told them they aren't close enough on money for the staff. He's very interested, but if they don't come up with what they need for the assistants, he's told them he's out."Rumors began to surface late Wednesday afternoon that talks had broken down and that Gruden was no longer a candidate for the job. However, according to Times Free Press sources, that is not the case. As of Thursday evening, Gruden had weighed an offer but countered that more money would be needed for the staff he is assembling.In the meantime, university officials are continuing to consider other candidates. However, the job is Gruden's if he decides to say yes.UT officially began its search for a new coach after Dooley was fired Nov. 18 after three unsuccessful seasons.The Vols finished with a losing record in all three of Dooley's seasons and a 15-21 overall record during his tenure, including 4-19 in Southeastern Conference games.

Reactions: 4 people
Good done? Or bad done? Sorry mods, can't help it...

I know. I know. It's hard to contain yourself on a lot of this stuff.

Everybody please just help us out a little longer so we'll have one info only thread for everyone to refer to. Also, don't take it personally if you have a post or two that gets moved or deleted. There's a lot of duplicate information and we're having to move quickly to keep the thread clean.

Reactions: 27 people
Your information has not come from the athletic department of The University Of Tennessee when it pertains to Jon Gruden. Noway

I did not claim to have gotten information directly from the athletic department or directly from any of its officials. Heck, I haven't even gotten information from people that are financially compensated by the university. The sources I have are in close vicinity to the people with great knowledge of what is going on and people that are directly spearheading the effort.

On a separate note, I would like to point back to something I had said and how it pertains to good news. As I said, "middle-enough" ground was reached between the two sides on a 'budget' for Gruden to spend on staff. When the reports came out that that was the main thing "holding him back", those gave me absolutely no doubt that Gruden had already accepted. My confidence is at 100% that Gruden will be the next head coach.

This also leads me to be even more confident and positive about everything in my previous post as far as what the agreements are and how this tenure will be handled. The person that holds 100% of my trust and respect is doing some 'digging', as he said, but said as of right now, to start preparing for major changes and faces in the program.

Again, I will not reveal who my sources are or what they do. I do not intend to mislead anyone, but my belief is that the deal has been as close to signed, sealed, and delivered as you can possibly get without a press conference. Gruden is coming.

Reactions: 29 people
Can't watch on iPhone...paraphrase please??

2 reporters talking:

"Gruden is looking at Tennessee. Every year people talk about him coaching and he always squashes the rumors pretty quickly. Hasn't done that this year. May not be denying rumors to keep his name out there (improve his worth for whatever team he does decide to coach for), or may not be denying rumors because he really wants to come to Tennessee"

Big time paraphrase but that's the jist of if.

Reactions: 3 people
Clay Travis tweets this a.m

SIAP

@ClayTravisBGID: There's been a clear intent by some on UT's side to deliberately misinform regarding Gruden. Why, I don't know.

@ClayTravisBGID: Pretty astute leak if you're in boosters/Gruden camp. Dave Hart is painted into Gruden mania corner. He has to get deal done now.

@ClayTravisBGID: Pretty astute leak if you're in boosters/Gruden camp. Dave Hart is painted into Gruden mania corner. He has to get deal done now.

Reactions: 6 people
Clay Travis tweets this a.m

SIAP

@ClayTravisBGID: There's been a clear intent by some on UT's side to deliberately misinform regarding Gruden. Why, I don't know.

@ClayTravisBGID: Newspaper article is UT boosters telling Dave Hart to sign Gruden. Or else.

Reactions: 6 people
by Brent_Hubbs at 11/30 7:58 AM

As we said in the war room, the only way something changes is if Gruden calls Tennessee and two sources (one really late last night and one this morning) say that hasn't happened.

The bottom line appears to be this to me. Nothing about this story and the rumors are going to end until one of the two sides or both release an official statement.

Reactions: 1 person
Text I received from current player.

OK you guys can believe this or not.... I received a call yesterday from 3 families that sit with us and long time boosters and great vol friends
we were all called and asked to practice patience and understand that the football program has no other priority then this search

We were also told to update our donations but that crap happens every year

We were also told we would not have to wait much longer

on FB from Gary Haskew

TOLD YA LAST NIGHT...HOPE YOU SLEPT WELL.....ONE CALL DID IT

JON FREAKING GRUDEN WILL LEAD VOLS OUT OF THE WILDERNESS..

HAVE A GREAT DAY...BE PATIENT

ANNOUNCEMENT COMING

Reactions: 5 people
11/30
guys...i don't think this is happening today.

Hope i am wrong, but that isn't what i am hearing.

Gruden talks are still not close to being finalized and there is still a pretty big divide.

Not over yet, but don't get your hopes up for an announcement today. I don't think that is the case.

It isn't over by any means, but if it is signed and announced today i would be shocked.

(in a good way)

VolRumorMill ‏@VolRumorMill

Well, a lot of stuff leaking out pointing towards Gruden deal being close. As I said yesterday, I felt much better about Gruden than most

Reactions: 2 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back