Gruden Thread Daily Cliff's Notes **INFO ONLY - No Discussion Please**

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a poster on TOS:

Per Brent Hubbs, Gruden told UT "there is no reason to meet with him"

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
From FootballScoop.com...

Tennessee: A whole bunch to relay here. A short while ago Jimmy Hyams reported that UT plans to interview several candidates over the next week. Hyams also "reported" that Jon Gruden called off a scheduled meeting with Tennessee that was to be held today. Then, just to keep things interesting, Luther Campbell, yes Uncle Luke, tweeted "Golden to UT". So that's out there. Never a dull day this time of year.

Reactions: 1 person
There's a rumor out there that Gruden actually told Hart "to come with a contract or don't come at all..."

Predictably, Hubbs says he has heard the rumor but can't confirm it, says he's comfortable in saying that Gruden has never been offered a contract by Hart or TN.

Reactions: 2 people
@GrantRamey: I've been told, and take for what it's worth, that there's nothing dead about the Gruden possibility. Opposed to general assumption.

@GrantRamey: I wouldn't call the Gruden possibility dead. It's not the healthiest it's been, but it's not dead. Still a long shot, as it has been.

glenn carver ‏@GCarver_WREG3
Tax ramifications make ownership hard for Browns/Gruden. Possibly looking into % of Browns profits to UT as gift..school adds to Gruden pay.

from perico @ 6:34 PM
It's a pay site, so I won't quote the entire article.
From Wes Rucker at 247 sports (subscription):

Quote:
We heard from one of our better sources in the coaching business — again, someone who knows Gruden — that Gruden’s wife has preferred UT (her alma mater and home region) and has asked her husband to find a way to make it happen. So while Wednesday’s news definitely didn’t look good for UT, we can’t rule Gruden out at this point. We’ve even heard a tiny bit of pure speculation that suggests Wednesday’s news could cool everyone’s jets on the Gruden situation and allow both parties a bit more time to work on finding more middle ground before a potential face-to-face meeting. We’re not saying we believe that, but we’d be lying if we didn’t mention that we’ve heard that speculation. It could mean things are done, but we’re not reporting that at this point because we don’t know that to be true.

Reactions: 8 people
Per VolReporter 7 54

And get this / I'm hearing Raheem Morris, 2 more NFL assistants, 1 coach rumored to be from Pac 12 and Cris Carter(former Viking now at ESPN) have been in contact with Gruden to be assistants.

Can confirm UT has landed and will be meeting with Gruden shortly.

I'm telling you all that this is going to be a gigantic night for UT.

Reactions: 17 people
from perico @ 6:34 PM
It's a pay site, so I won't quote the entire article.
From Wes Rucker at 247 sports (subscription):

Quote:
We heard from one of our better sources in the coaching business — again, someone who knows Gruden — that Gruden’s wife has preferred UT (her alma mater and home region) and has asked her husband to find a way to make it happen. So while Wednesday’s news definitely didn’t look good for UT, we can’t rule Gruden out at this point. We’ve even heard a tiny bit of pure speculation that suggests Wednesday’s news could cool everyone’s jets on the Gruden situation and allow both parties a bit more time to work on finding more middle ground before a potential face-to-face meeting. We’re not saying we believe that, but we’d be lying if we didn’t mention that we’ve heard that speculation. It could mean things are done, but we’re not reporting that at this point because we don’t know that to be true.

I have actually heard this from someone that i trust.

Reactions: 143 people
11/27, noon

On whether news could leak before Friday's target date:

My source told me tonight that Haslam & Gruden are flying in Friday morning and making an announcement that afternoon. Also did Ainge report this week that something was happening this Friday?

Reactions: 7 people
11/28

just now on vq

legitimate gruden info, w/ sources reply
for starters, because i know many of you will look at my history, look up the name bustedplaycom. I was a member for a little over three years, cancelled my membership, and have since come back (just a few months now). I've never once claimed to have any "inside information" or even a clue of what's going on within ut or any of its coaching searches. Having said that, i have a friend out in los angeles (who graduated from ut with me) that works for landmark sports agency, and used to work at psr, where bob lamonte is president and founder. I've been nagging him for the last 5-7 days for any info, but he hasn't had any. Today he called me, and this is what he had to say:

Ut has done everything on its end to try and make gruden their next coach. He doesn't know the exact details, but he said (from what he's heard) that ut has reached out to gruden and has offered him an 8 year, $58m deal.they offered him $4.2m for a staff, and he came back wanting more; they counted with $4.9m for a staff, and this number, according to him, is still a bit of an issue, and is yet to be resolved.

Gruden is very worried about ncaa rules, recruiting, and violations -- that sounds like a very little thing on the surface, but it's apparently one of the major things that's keeping him from pulling the trigger to coach college ball. In the nfl, all the guy has to do is worry about a draft (which is mostly up to the gm); in the ncaa, he has to worry about what types of spreads can be given for bagels at a breakfast event.

Bob lamonte, according to my friend, is addicted to getting his clients power -- he said if anyone questions this, please google mike holmgren, andy reid, mike sherman, and our very own jon gruden.

Jon gruden's wife is huge in this -- supposedly, and i quote, "she's much more of a driving force than you'd ever imagine in making a decision that decides the next 8 years of their life." i will tell you my friend was a bit of a drama queen at ut -- i lived w/ the guy, and he has a knack for dramatics -- but he said this deal wouldn't even be close without her.

There is an ownership at stake for this with the cleveland browns. I don't know the numbers, and i actually mocked the op who put this out there, but it's time for me to apologize for that. I thought it was completely absurd, but from what he's told me, it's 100% legitimate. He suspects it's a very small number, but any ownership stake in an nfl team to coach a college team would certainly be a first.

On the cancellation: My friend has no inside scoop on that. I asked him to text me if he heard anything, but at the time we spoke (a little over two hours ago), he didn't have any information.

His overall thoughts: He, unlike myself, doesn't think the deal is dead in the water. He said what separates the two sides is a few million dollars (over the course of 8 years, not per year) and a legitimate control issue over football operations (per him, gruden wants all power when it comes to football decisions, as far as who's brought on, who's fired, etc., and there's a different side of opinions between the two parties). The money for gruden is where he wants it, but there still seems to be a gap in the money he wants for assistants -- this is big to gruden, being new to the college game, and he wants to make sure he has the best staff in place, from both a coordinating and recruiting standpoint.

That's what i know. You can call me a troll, much like i have everyone else. I didn't trust anyone because i have a friend in the industry who has very close connections, and he himself hadn't heard anything. I'm not claiming it's a done deal, not claiming there's any ink to dry, not saying it's dead, not saying it's close. Just telling you about a conversation i had with an old roommate.

If i hear anything else, i'll be sure to post.
11/28 8:27 pm | ip: Logged

Reactions: 29 people
11/29

Basilio

On Gruden.....It's not over yet. I assumed yesterday that Hart and Gruden had met on the air since they were scheduled to and later found out as you did that they ended up not getting together. Hey I had good information that they were getting together it just didn’t happen. What I didn't hear was that Gruden was 'upset'. What I heard was that they will be getting together again soon. I don't believe Gruden has totally closed the door on UT. Nor have they totally closed the door on him. These things can change and often do.

Here's something for you to consider on Gruden going forward. He lives for this stuff. He wants to be wanted. He loves the attention. And his attorney is notorious for playing with the media and playing with situations. I also believe that Gruden has a real soft spot for UT and holds this football job in high esteem. Buyer be warned. These folks really love the attention. Gruden is a flirt and La Mont’s office is notorious for playing games in the media. At the end of the day if UT doesn't succeed with Gruden, it won’t be for lack of trying. As I've told you here in the past several weeks, Tennessee with the likes of Manning, Majors, Fulmer & other prominent boosters have put the full court press on him.

And yes. There are concerns about Gruden's temperament that have cropped up from a couple of the big $$$ boosters via NFL folks they've talked to. I’m told those folks won’t stand in Hart’s way if he feels like he could work with Gruden.

Long and short goes like this. I'll believe Jon Gruden's Tennessee's next head coach when the march him across the stage and introduce him at the press conference. Conversely I'll believe it's not him when they don't. There's still too much their there. Make sense?

I also believe Dave Hart has done very little in the area of this search which leads me to believe that the people he's really interested in talking to for the short list purposes are all involved in games this weekend. Otherwise, wouldn't you visit with Al Golden types this week? Or, maybe Hart and UT already have their guy?

I have been pretty adamant here that I don't know where this is going. Nobody truly does who's covering this stuff. I can only give you nuggets of what I believe from my sources. And these people have literally been all over the place in this deal.

I do believe Dave Hart had some phone calls with some folks about setting interviews up in New York.

I expect Tennessee to talk with Jimbo Fisher, Mike Gundy, Jim Mora, Charlie Strong (if he's still there), Al Golden and probably two or three more guys in the Big Apple.

My concern is that if Gruden falls through, where does UT go from there? Do they have a fall back plan? Or will they be in scramble mode? The thing we don’t want to see is a repeat of the events that led to the Dooley hiring.

This doesn’t seem probable since the job is seen as a much better opportunity than it was the last two times it opened. When Fulmer was first relieved you had high expectations tied to this job. Those are gone. And Derek Dooley killed this thing. So, whoever comes in here now won't have a legacy to compete with. Win 7 games next year and be a hero!

No offense to that Memphis TV station but that report of Gruden getting a share of the Browns to take the UT job is absurd. First of all it's a complete conflict for a college coach to be a pro owner. Think about this for a second. Secondly it's not legal in either form of football. As Jon Infante wrote in Bylaw Blog, major hurdles would have to be cleared for this to happen.

Here's an excerpt of what Infante wrote on this notion of Jimmy Haslem giving part ownership of the Browns to Gruden.

'NCAA rules prohibit boosters from supplementing the pay of coaches. Any pay or benefits must come from the university. The same goes for in-kind gifts. Courtesy cars from dealers who are donors or sponsors are first donated to the university, then provided by the athletic department for the coach’s use. That would mean Haslem would have to donate an interest in the Browns to Tennessee, who would then “pay” Gruden with that interest.

But Haslem cannot give an interest in the Browns to UT. NFL Bylaw 3.2(B)(2) states that interest in a holding company which holds NFL franchise rights may only be held directly by individuals or by certain partnerships or trusts approved by the commissioner. Rule 3.2(A) also says that nonprofit corporations (which the University of Tennessee and its athletic department are) may not become new members of the league, although that would not seem to apply in this case, but shows a preference for not having nonprofits involved in NFL ownership.

To get around this rule would require the complex transfer of ownership rights or future interests in the Browns to a trust or partnership, all of which must be approved by the commissioner despite everyone knowing what the real purpose is. And if there is an actual transfer of ownership, it must be voted on by the NFL owners, potentially twice in this case.

The combination of NFL and NCAA rules make it impracticable, if not impossible.'

Good. That settles this.

Stephen Hargis, who has written a couple of required reading pieces, joins today live from the Scenic City. You'll find this interesting.

I know there has been mention of Zook on Gruden's staff if he accepted. Zook was on 92.9 The Game this morning and was asked about Gruden. A few nuggets from this. He said Gruden texted him at 3:15 this morning. He also said he was going down to Tampa tomorrow (Friday) to meet with him. It didn't sound like anything big but it does put both of them in Tampa on the supposed 'big day' in Knoxville. He also was pretty firm (no hesitation) on Gruden staying in the booth over the next year. Take it as you may. Just passing on what was said on the radio here in ATL.

TOS on Gruden this morning:

[O]ne prominent name seemed to fade into shadow while a core group of others remained.

"Grusteria" finally took a twist seemingly toward resolution Wednesday with word that both the University of Tennessee and Jon Gruden couldn't find enough common ground to formally meet and discuss the Vols' head football coaching vacancy.

Tennessee officially has been in search of a new head coach since it fired Derek Dooley Nov. 18 in the midst of a 5-7 campaign, the program's third-straight seven-loss season. But chatter surrounding Gruden and first the Vols' expected and then formal vacancy had percolated long prior to that.

UT officials steadfastly declined all comment on the Gruden matter throughout, but the former 2003 Super Bowl winning coach of the Tampa Bay Bucs, who via saturation coverage is now known to have both been a graduate assistant at Tennessee and married a former Vols' cheerleader, told a national ESPN radio program early Wednesday morning that he had no Tennessee offer, was happy in his role as an analyst for ESPN's "Monday Night Football" and intended to move forward in that venture.

Late Wednesday afternoon sources indicated to both VolQuest.com and Jimmy Hyams of Knoxville sports talk radio station WNML that Gruden had cancelled his hastily scheduled meeting with UT officials, including vice chancellor and director of athletics Dave Hart. Numerous sources on Wednesday indicated the cancellation came as result of what would have been a second set of discussions, but the first face to face talks between Gruden and UT officials but one that was not expected to result in a contract or formal offer.

I don't post a lot and don't have anything to do with UT. I will tell you my source has a direct connection with UT. I've been told announcment is coming either by Saturday or next week. And can confirm that Cindy Gruden was in Knoxville, that she wants to be in a house by the end of Christmas break. I know you guys are as anxious as me, but the wait will be worth it. :salute:

This is what I was told earlier this week and I was told this last night. That the announcment is coming, looks more like next week now, still didn't rule it out before Saturday. During all the "noise" of yesterdays events, my source, with a smile that would light a room said "Happier days are just around the corner!" So with that said, sit back and enjoy the show. Just doing my duty.:salute:

Last edited:
From babyvol:

Here's what I'll tell ya-
1) Don't believe anything local media tells ya ( they either haven't had a clue from the start or they are part of a massive cover up.....for many reasons I believe it's the cover up)
2) I've had just as much info both ways so I can't say for certain which way this will go.
3) Based on what I know and decifering all the info it's either:
Gruden was the man and something happened at last minute or
Gruden is still the guy and nothing has changed.

Based on a plethora of information.... like I said before
I'm thinking Gruden til its not.

11/29, 9am

Well where I am is I have a former member of the AD that was there for many many years tell me as late as last night he is still hearing Gruden from the people he trusts and still hearing a Friday announcement. Says Golden not a possibility

Then less than 12 hours later one of the biggest boosters and supporters of UT Athletics says "Gruden is not coming". Also says Golden not a possibility

Thus the confusion.

At this point I will choose to believe Gruden is still coming, or at least there is a strong likelihood they will get this done. Boro is definitely right, there is information in all different directions and I am having a hard time trusting any "recent" information and choose to revert back to information that has yet to be refuted.

Boro talking about an earlier post ion which many questioned his confidence in his sources.

I think you are reading too much into what I said. I am still confident in my guys and the info I've been given all along. But things have tightened up, and I wouldn't trust much that is coming out right now based on what we've seen the last couple of days.

Last edited by a moderator:
11-29
More from Boro-vol

No. You are the second or third guy to get that from my post. Sorry if I was unclear.

I'm solid on what I have been told and who told me. Nothing has changed my mind.

But info has become scarce as this all comes together, and I'm not sure I'd believe anything I was told right now without multiple verifications. There is a lot of disinformation, or simply bad information floating around right now.

Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back