Gruden on Finebaum

BTW, Gruden is not a *****ty coach as someone else stated. You don't win a Super Bowl by accident, at least not with the QB he started.

****ty head coach, not ****ty coach. There is a difference. Gruden can(well, could, I dunno about now, it's been so many years) coach offense with the best of them. As a head coach he was a failure, though.

And yeah, you can win a superbowl by "accident", though I wouldn't phrase it that way.

Brad Johnson had the best year of his career out of random(sucked before that, sucked after it), and combining that with the defense that Dungy and Kiffin built, and you had a super bowl winning team.

Doesn't hurt that the Raiders gave the Bucs the game, either, but I think the Bucs stood a good chance of winning either way.

Gruden fell in to Brad Johnson's best season combined with one of the best Ds ever that he had no hand in building, and yes, you can describe that as an "accident".

Reactions: 2 people
Paul asked Jon if he was ever close to taking the UT job three years ago. Jon said that UT is a dream job (and his) and that the timing just wasn't right back then. He said that UT got the right coach and Butch Jones will be the guy that brings us back, possibly as early as this year.

It seems there was something there back then but it just never fell through.

He didn't want the job. His demands were so outrageous there was no way it ever got close..

There some of those in influence that wanted him but the most influential people did not. Major concerns he would have led us down the road of major, major sanctions.

Reactions: 1 person
BTW, Gruden is not a *****ty coach as someone else stated. You don't win a Super Bowl by accident, at least not with the QB he started.

Kerry Collins and Mark Rypien won a SB for crying out loud

Kerry Collins and Mark Rypien won a SB for crying out loud

Kerry Collins never won a super bowl(did get to one, though..lost in 00 to the Ravens). You're probably thinking of Trent Dilfer, the QB he ironically lost to.

I'll be honest, I don't know x's and o's well enough to say how Gruden would have done here. But any coach that gives this speech before a NFC championship game is my guy:

In preparation for [the 2002 NFC Championship Game] Jon Gruden gave the single best motivational speech I've ever heard. In reality, most coaches' speeches aren't like in the movies, where the coach builds up and up the momentum until the team charges hell-bent onto the field ready to rip down the entire stadium. If a coach does give that type of speech it's usually Saturday night. The Sunday speech is the matter-of-fact review of what we need to do to win the game. All business. Gruden gave this speech at the beginning of the week. He stood up in front of us and explained that there were 10 things we needed to do to beat the Eagles. Ten Things! He went down the list one by one, blah blah blah, blah blah blah, we'd heard it all. But then he got to the number one thing we needed to do, and he started talking about their kick returner Brian Mitchell. "I want Brian Mitchell's ass on a plate," he said. "And once we finish with the Philadelphia Eagles we are going to go to San Diego for the Super Bowl..." he paused, grinned and concluded, "Where the coach is gonna get two hotel rooms for all my *****es!"
The room erupted. Exploded. That was it, that was the greatest motivational speech ever. There isn't even a second place. -Warren Sapp

Reactions: 3 people
Gruden's got it made, he was never a serious candidate for the job. Besides, he's still a great ally and asset to the program.

Kerry Collins never won a super bowl(did get to one, though..lost in 00 to the Ravens). You're probably thinking of Trent Dilfer, the QB he ironically lost to.

Actually, was thinking of Hostetler but yeah add Dilfer to the mix of unhearlded SB QB winners

We got Butch, and I'm happy with it. Gruden will always be a guy that says nice things about the Tennessee program, and that's great.

I would have been happy with the hire based on many things plus, it's not like Jones is setting the world on fire in the win column yet. Hopefully this year that changes.

Jones is our coach n hopefully he wins championships because that should be tennessee's expectation regardless of who is on the sidelines..imo

2a2ec205b6a8a5839ba21af502288e0e.jpg

I'll be honest, I don't know x's and o's well enough to say how Gruden would have done here. But any coach that gives this speech before a NFC championship game is my guy:

In preparation for [the 2002 NFC Championship Game] Jon Gruden gave the single best motivational speech I've ever heard. In reality, most coaches' speeches aren't like in the movies, where the coach builds up and up the momentum until the team charges hell-bent onto the field ready to rip down the entire stadium. If a coach does give that type of speech it's usually Saturday night. The Sunday speech is the matter-of-fact review of what we need to do to win the game. All business. Gruden gave this speech at the beginning of the week. He stood up in front of us and explained that there were 10 things we needed to do to beat the Eagles. Ten Things! He went down the list one by one, blah blah blah, blah blah blah, we'd heard it all. But then he got to the number one thing we needed to do, and he started talking about their kick returner Brian Mitchell. "I want Brian Mitchell's ass on a plate," he said. "And once we finish with the Philadelphia Eagles we are going to go to San Diego for the Super Bowl..." he paused, grinned and concluded, "Where the coach is gonna get two hotel rooms for all my *****es!"
The room erupted. Exploded. That was it, that was the greatest motivational speech ever. There isn't even a second place. -Warren Sapp

As a man who married a Cali girl I can attest to the fact that San Diego has a fine selection of "*****es".

Reactions: 1 person
Paul asked Jon if he was ever close to taking the UT job three years ago. Jon said that UT is a dream job (and his) and that the timing just wasn't right back then. He said that UT got the right coach and Butch Jones will be the guy that brings us back, possibly as early as this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA

If CBJ ever left.....

:loco:

Tennesseeduke

God can we put this to rest? Peyton could say he would love to be OC next year for us but it doesn't mean jack sh!t unless he does it.

Coachspeak. Timing not right?

Nah. Just not interested.

****ty head coach, not ****ty coach. There is a difference. Gruden can(well, could, I dunno about now, it's been so many years) coach offense with the best of them. As a head coach he was a failure, though.

And yeah, you can win a superbowl by "accident", though I wouldn't phrase it that way.

Brad Johnson had the best year of his career out of random(sucked before that, sucked after it), and combining that with the defense that Dungy and Kiffin built, and you had a super bowl winning team.

Doesn't hurt that the Raiders gave the Bucs the game, either, but I think the Bucs stood a good chance of winning either way.

Gruden fell in to Brad Johnson's best season combined with one of the best Ds ever that he had no hand in building, and yes, you can describe that as an "accident".

Dungy backed into a Super Bowl victory more so than Gruden IMHO. And I love Dungy. But, Peyton carried him just like he carried those two stiffs Caldwell and Fox to the brink. But, that is what a great QB can do for you.

Coachspeak. Timing not right?

Nah. Just not interested.

Ultimately...you are right. But that doesn't mean he didn't think about it for at least a few minutes.

As many have pointed out above, though, he has it made right where he is. Easier lifestyle and easier to keep Mrs. Gruden happy. It would be tough to leave that setup.

However, he is a competitor, and it wouldn't surprise me to see him give it a go somewhere. I think all of his kids are out of the house now.

He's got property there... he wanted a landscaping perk thrown into his contract... did not get it, was told he had to cut the grass himself. He gone.

Did he happen to address why he let his agent trash us if ut was in fact a dream job of his? I seem to remember the agent laughing at the suggestion that a guy like Jon gruden would ever consider coaching at a place like ut. What a douche... Both agent and client

VN Store

Back