Gruden on Finebaum

VFL10

Paul asked Jon if he was ever close to taking the UT job three years ago. Jon said that UT is a dream job (and his) and that the timing just wasn't right back then. He said that UT got the right coach and Butch Jones will be the guy that brings us back, possibly as early as this year.

It seems there was something there back then but it just never fell through.

Reactions: 16 people
Paul asked Jon if he was ever close to taking the UT job three years ago. Jon said that UT is a dream job (and his) and that the timing just wasn't right back then. He said that UT got the right coach and Butch Jones will be the guy that brings us back, possibly as early as this year.

It seems there was something there back then but it just never fell through.

In before smoke screen

Reactions: 2 people
Holy **** , The slobber hasn't even dried on Jon Gruden's lips before the barrage of postings on an off the cuff comment.

Way to go volnation, way to go! Gruden has made all of your dreams almost come true

Reactions: 3 people
Holy **** , The slobber hasn't even dried on Jon Gruden's lips before the barrage of postings on an off the cuff comment.

Way to go volnation, way to go! Gruden has made all of your dreams almost come true

Do you even have a sense of humor bro?

Reactions: 12 people

well crap, you fixed it before I could bust your b**** over it!!!! Lol

I don't even know why people wanted Gruden.

Dude's a ****ty head coach that rode Dungy's team to a championship.

Reactions: 8 people
Marcus Spears was also very complimentary of Butch and the Vols. if I remember correctly, Marcus picked us to win the East during SEC media days.

Reactions: 2 people
Dungy's team?

He wasn't the GM.

The team was built the way Dungy wanted it to be built. Yes, Rich McKay had a say in it as well, obviously, but it was Dungy's team. He and Monte Kiffin developed the Tampa 2 defense and he picked the players he wanted for it/that fit it.

The problem with the Bucs under Dungy is they couldn't get things figured out on offense. The biggest difference between the 2001(Dungy's last year) and 2002 teams was how Brad Johnson played.

You can credit that to Gruden, I suppose, as offense was his forte, but after Johnson's 1 solid season, he fell off a cliff and never came close to that level again, so eh.

I mean I can rephrase it to "He took Dungy/McKay's team and rode it to a championship" instead if that makes it more correct for you, but I'm not sure what it matters.

Reactions: 1 person
I thought Gruden's response to the UT question was very interesting. He did not just shoot it down outright like he has these types of questions in the past. Makes me agree with the poster above that there might have been more "smoke" to it than we originally thought.

I also thought he was very classy in giving praise to Butch.

I would have loved to have Gruden at the time, but I doubt he would have made the impact on AND off the field as Butch has done. Gruden most likely would have struggled with the academic and off-field issues you deal with at the collegiate level. I also doubt he would have recruited at or better than Butch has so far, again, because he is not accustomed to doing it.

We got a solid college coach that is managing this program as well as could be expected to date. He has given us a lot to be proud of off the field, and a small taste on the field. I am hopeful that he will now take this talent that HE has largely recruited in 2 1/2 recruiting cycles (which is still young, but not as young as it has been), and move it forward significantly. I would love to have him representing the University for many years.

Reactions: 5 people
BTW, Gruden is not a *****ty coach as someone else stated. You don't win a Super Bowl by accident, at least not with the QB he started.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back