Greatest Plays in Tennessee Football History

Tony Thompson had a huge game against Miss State in 1990. That was the same game Bernard Gaffney had his fumbleroosky TD.

For utterly demoralizing a revved up road crowd, Andy Kelly to Carl Pickens on the first series of the '91 Louisville game is right up there. Schnellenberger spent the entire offseason hyping it as "The Biggest Game In Louisville History," they brought Muhammad Ali and Johnny Unitas on the field during the pregame, and ESPN placed it on Thursday night as a showcase. We proceeded to drop a hailstorm of big plays on them and break Jeff Brohm's leg. The Cards were forced to go with Erik Watts, son of wrestling legend Cowboy Bill Watts.

Tony Thompson had a huge game against Miss State in 1990. That was the same game Bernard Gaffney had his fumbleroosky TD.
There's a State defensive back still looking for the dignity he lost when Thompson faked him out of his uniform.

1 - The goal line stand against Auburn in 98 when they could not get in from the 1 foot line in 4 downs has to make the list.
2 - Tee Martins NCAA record for consecutive completions against SC in 98 is deserving.
3 - Mose Phillips unbelievable run in the 92 loss to SC, still to this day the greatest run I've ever witnessed live.
4 - David Leavertons TD saving open field tackle on Peter Warricks punt return in the 98 championship game comes to mind.

The Peerless Price catch in the NC game vs Fla St.....I left my recliner with cat like speed screaming like a girl.

Chris Hogue's punt against Nebraska in the '98 Orange Bowl was the best UT play of the night. That thing must have sailed 70 yards in the air.

1 - The goal line stand against Auburn in 98 when they could not get in from the 1 foot line in 4 downs has to make the list.
That's one of my most vivid memories as a Vol fan. The worst seats I've ever had for a college football game placed me about 40-50 feet from where that occurred. The sound of the pads and helmets popping was incredible.

Of course we tried to sit on the ball, it was Majors that was coaching the game after all.......
Yeah, as opposed to the Go For The Throat style Fulmer has employed during his tenure. Do you remember who the offensive coordinator was in 1990?

Yeah, as opposed to the Go For The Throat style Fulmer has employed during his tenure. Do you remember who the offensive coordinator was in 1990?

I'm not saying Fulmer had nothing to do with it, but when Majors was there, we seemed more conservative when leading in games.

I'd like to get a copy of the '91 Colorado game, too, even though it was a tie.

I've got that one burned to a DVD. Maybe we can work out a trade for a game I don't have. :)

Is it available on DVD by chance... I have the Notre Dame game, the 1979 one and the other one "miracle in South Bend".....and of course the NC game
yes, it's available on DVD.

the travis stephens screen pass against ga in 01 SHOULD HAVE been one of the top five greatest individual plays in history.

Von Reeves to Carl Pickens against Florida 1990

Chris Ramsuer (sp?) laying out a Vandy rb, causing a fumble returned for a td 1998

Eddie Moore decapitating Kelvin Kight over the middle 2001 Florida

Robert Meacham and either of his tds against Cal last year.

Petyon to Nash in the 97 SECCG to take the lead for good

Martin to Price and also Martin to Wilson to take the lead and then seal the 98 SECCG

Don't know if anyone has mentioned these, but...

Jeff Hall to beat UGA in 95..."The Crowd will tell you...GOOOOOODAAHHHH!!!!!!"

Hall to beat Syracuse in 98

Oh...another one no one ever mentions, probably because of who it was but Leonard Scott's kickoff return against UGA in 1999 was a good one

VN Store

Back