Greatest Plays in Tennessee Football History

Was that the play where McGee went up and caught an underthrown bomb and then got knocked into the endzone by an Auburn defender?
I think you're thinking about the catch and run he made in the '85 Kentucky game.

Was that the play where McGee went up and caught an underthrown bomb and then got knocked into the endzone by an Auburn defender?

I remember him being 5 yards behind the defender, caught the pass at the back of the end zone.

I think you're thinking about the catch and run he made in the '85 Kentucky game.

Of course that ball was going to be underthrown. It was all Dickey could heave. But, he was being pressured and threw it after a spin, and there was no air under it, so, I guess it was a good pass and catch combo. 42-0.

Reggie Cobb slicing through the Auburn defense, and the rain, in '89 to announce the rebirth of Tennessee football.

The greatest drive I've ever seen was against UGA that year. On the opening drive we went 7 plays, 80 yards on 7 straight rushes for Cobb-Webb. It was the most dominating smashmouth drive I've ever seen in my life.

The greatest drive I've ever seen was against UGA that year. On the opening drive we went 7 plays, 80 yards on 7 straight rushes for Cobb-Webb. It was the most dominating smashmouth drive I've ever seen in my life.
On a side note, the post game celebration after that game may have been the drunkest I've ever been in my life. Due to the lax enforcement of drinking age laws, I was able to consume 10 kamakazies at the OCI, on top of 12 hours of quality drinking. I think my hangover finally subsided around Wednesday.

I know this is recent and in an unimportant game but Xavier McDaniel's tackle on the AF runner on the 2 point conversion was absolute thing of beauty.

Do you mean the '90 Colorado game?

It's got to be 1990 in the Pigskin Classic. That year was a missed opportunity. We should have beaten Colorado, Auburn and Alabama and gone into the Notre Dame game ranked #1 . . . but alas it didn't happen thanks to Greg Burke and crew.

Tony Thompson diving over the top to put an exclamation on the comeback against Virginia in the 1991 Sugar Bowl.

It's got to be 1990 in the Pigskin Classic. That year was a missed opportunity. We should have beaten Colorado, Auburn and Alabama and gone into the Notre Dame game ranked #1 . . . but alas it didn't happen thanks to Greg Burke and crew.

That was a tough schedule. Which game did Webb go down in? I can't remember. Weren't we up big on Auburn and let Stan White come back?

That was a tough schedule. Which game did Webb go down in? I can't remember. Weren't we up big on Auburn and let Stan White come back? Or was that '91?

Webb got hurt in the 1st qtr against Pacific.

I don't remember the details of the '90 Auburn game other than Greg Burke missing about a 35 yard FG to win it and watching Pat Dye run around on the field like they had just won the SEC or something.

If Chuck Webb doesn't shred his knee, the Auburn and Alabama games wouldn't have been close enough for a field goal, missed or blocked, to matter.

That was a tough schedule. Which game did Webb go down in? I can't remember. Weren't we up big on Auburn and let Stan White come back?
The blown game at Auburn was in '90. '91 was the night Carl Pickens absolutely torched the Tigers.

Webb got hurt in the 1st qtr against Pacific.

I don't remember the details of the '90 Auburn game other than Greg Burke missing about a 35 yard FG to win it and watching Pat Dye run around on the field like they had just won the SEC or something.
I remember that we had a huge lead and chose to sit on the ball.

If Chuck Webb doesn't shred his knee, the Auburn and Alabama games wouldn't have been close enough for a field goal, missed or blocked, to matter.

Probably true. But we still should have been able to gut out a win over Alabama that year. That game was probably the beginning of the end for Johnny Majors.

Probably true. But we still should have been able to gut out a win over Alabama that year. That game was probably the beginning of the end for Johnny Majors.

Funny coincidence. My favorite game to watch of all time and my most bitter game watching of all time came in week's time.

Mose Phillip's Run at South Carolina in '92.

Jeremy Lincoln's Butt Block at Notre Dame in '91.

The Screen Pass to Aaron Hayden at Notre Dame in '91.

The Notre Dame CB on the play side of the screen pass followed the UT WR out of the back of the end zone.

The only thing that kept me from going utterly psychotic that night is the fact that the Reds finished off their sweep of the A's.

VN Store

Back