*****Grant Williams named SEC Player of the Year

Again manning lost to florida.
Maten lost to damn near everyone.
Imo when a team isn't good their best player gets knocked down a notch

I do see value in your thoughts though

Peyton lost 3 games to the Gators. 2 in the Swamp. And BTW, every team in America was losing to them at that time. They had the best winning % in America during Spurrier's time and won 5 SEC titles. Peyton could not block and tackle. The Gators were a dynasty at the time.

Peyton lost 3 games to the Gators. 2 in the Swamp. And BTW, every team in America was losing to them at that time. They had the best winning % in America during Spurrier's time and won 5 SEC titles. Peyton could not block and tackle. The Gators were a dynasty at the time.

He lost one game his senior year and had a shot to play for a natty at the time the trophy was awarded to Woodson. Anyone comparing that to this isn't using their head

Reactions: 1 person
Did win 16 games, how many would they have won without him? 8? Maybe 10? I think Tennessee still wins 17 without Williams.

I disagree.

Grant was clutch and delivered many big time buckets when they were needed the most. He won a lot of games for UT.

Last edited:
The coaches know. They voted GW. BTW, for those that say it's an individual award not a team award always claim Brady is the best. Nope. Not close. He is clearly on the best team most years but there have been many better individual QB's.

Grant is the POY. Enjoy!

No, Brady winning all time is because people can't see the better QBs off the best team, just like this.

Congratulations Grant Williams! This award is for all the hard work you put in and the sky is the limit for you. Keep working young man!

I don’t know and I don’t really care.

We are talking about basketball and a guy on a team that finished 1st in the SEC with the a 10 SOS, and a guy that played on a team that finished 10th, was 2 games over .500, and with a far inferior schedule.

So by your logic, awards should always be given to whichever player has the best stats, regardless of who they play, and how they finish? Solid.

So, by your logic, if the best player on the best team in conference averages 12 points and 5 assists but the best player on the 5th best team averages 25 points and 8 rebounds it should go to the guy who had the better team?

This isn't "Who's the best player on the best team" award. It's "who is the best player PERIOD."

And very often coaches, and fans, screw awards like these up by giving it to the inferior player on the better overall team instead of the best player.

It is an individual, selfish, award. It Always has been, and to think otherwise degrades everything most consider great about the sport. Because if it always just went to the best player no matter the circumstances then we'd see Iverson with a Finals MVP and Lebron would have about 3 or 4 more.

The coaches know. They voted GW. BTW, for those that say it's an individual award not a team award always claim Brady is the best. Nope. Not close. He is clearly on the best team most years but there have been many better individual QB's.

Grant is the POY. Enjoy!

Player of the year IS an individual award. It's literally in the title. Player. singular. The best team earns the title by winning, no voting needed.

Brady is the best QB of all time. The best SYSTEM QB with the best coach. From a talent perspective he's not even among the top 3 currently in the league, and not even top 10 all time.

Weird how I say its an individual award yet openly claim Brady is overrated due to his vastly superior teams and coaches. Almost like your sweeping generalization is ignorant.

So, by your logic, if the best player on the best team in conference averages 12 points and 5 assists but the best player on the 5th best team averages 25 points and 8 rebounds it should go to the guy who had the better team?

This isn't "Who's the best player on the best team" award. It's "who is the best player PERIOD."

And very often coaches, and fans, screw awards like these up by giving it to the inferior player on the better overall team instead of the best player.

It is an individual, selfish, award. It Always has been, and to think otherwise degrades everything most consider great about the sport. Because if it always just went to the best player no matter the circumstances then we'd see Iverson with a Finals MVP and Lebron would have about 3 or 4 more.

You completely changed the scenario. You compared the #1 team to the #5 team, both of which would be going to the tourney, and have a winning SEC record and a better record than 16-14.

In reality we are talking about the #1 team and the #10 team. One of which will be in the tourney, most likely as a top 3 seed, and the other will be sitting at home with a 16-14 regular season record and a sub .500 SEC record at 7-11.

So no that wasn’t my logic. Try again.

R:E:S:p:E:C:T

Well deserved, saw a lot of doubles the last 15 games. Comes in with a workman like attitude every night. Hope we get to see him a while longer.

I'm just surprised that they got it right...on all the SEC awards received by the team...what a year!

PS. bias admitted...:)

GBO!

This is voted on by the coaches, so clearly what they saw on film and in person, they thought Williams was the best player. He was also on the best team and this award almost always goes to the best player on the best team.

Why do the coaches have more than 5 players on their first team whereas AP has the customary 5?

You can say it’s an “individual” award but that doesn’t make it so.

Basketball is the quintessential team sport. Look at every crap team in the NCAA and there will be one guy putting up great numbers, but it means nothing if your team isn’t winning.

Kind of like how the Heisman is usually awarded to the best player on one of the best teams.

And in case you cared...
R. Widby won it as a SR
R. Slay won it as a SR
C. Lofton won it as a JR.

In addition to B. King, E. Grunfeld, and now G. Williams.
Chris bringing it today! :)

Thanks.

Auburn program/players maybe getting less votes from SEC coaches because they know the program cheated? I don't know.

Great news and well-deserved for Williams. He set the tone early on with his toughness, and it seemed to be infectious throughout the team as everyone seemed to believe and get better.

I agree with Barnes' flattering words about Schofield too. Hey, I wouldn't trade Schofield for any other player in the league right now. He's been dining on barbed wire at pre game for about a month now.

Lookout, BRACKET!

VN Store

Back