*****Grant Williams named SEC Player of the Year

Houston had the numbers and talent, but I'm sure the teams he was on didn't win enough. Btw, I didn't realize Ellis won it twice, very impressive. Bernard King impressive. I think Ellis might have been consensus 1st all-American, too. Kinda surprised Dyron Nix didn't win it, I know he led the SEC in rebounding his junior year and in scoring his senior year. Once again, his senior year team probably didn't win enough, when he was 1st in scoring and top 3 in rebounding

Ellis was there when I attended so I saw him first hand. He actually went on to have a very good NBA career as a guard. I never would have guessed that but that's how athletic he was.

Man Ellis was a pure shooter. If the 3 point line was there when he played one wonders what damage he could have done.

Actually Michael Brooks was the best long range shooter on those early 1980s UT teams. I often think of what he could have done with a 3 pt shot. Ellis could do it all but they generally would feed it to him in the paint and let him sink it or get fouled.

In case anyone is interested in the ongoing "ESPN Hates Us" campaign, there has been no mention of Barnes or Williams winning postseason awards on ESPN NCAA Mens Basketball front page.

They were sure to cover the Pac-12 and Mountain West awards though.

:dunno:

Because that is why auburn got snubbed. Not anything else.

This was voted on by the coaches who dislike Pearl.

Yeah, I'm pretty positive none of that is true, but if so, goes to show how many classless petty coaches are in the SEC. (and for the record, thats including BP)

regardless, believe whatever lunacy things you want to.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Yeah, I'm pretty positive none of that is true, but if so, goes to show how many classless petty coaches are in the SEC. (and for the record, thats including BP)

I really don’t have a clue what you’re talking about.

You think that coaches like and respect BP?

You think that coaches like and respect BP?

???

No, pretty sure I didn't say that, but I'm pretty confident they all don't have some sort of mutual disdain for him. some of them maybe,some more than others, sure. There are things about Bruce that most of them would find respectable and plenty more things they find unrespectable about him. Are there coaches whom dislike Pearl? Sure, without a doubt. Acting like every coach has some disdain for him and treating it like fact is a load of bull though.

Regardless of that matter though, my main point is that whatever feelings they have for Bruce, had nothing to do with the Auburn players awarded/snubbed. that would just be stupid and petty.

Last edited:
Actually Michael Brooks was the best long range shooter on those early 1980s UT teams. I often think of what he could have done with a 3 pt shot. Ellis could do it all but they generally would feed it to him in the paint and let him sink it or get fouled.

Oh yeah, Michael Brooks was a Lofton like shooter, he would have killed the 3-pointer. Ellis' mid-range game was deadly in college, plus he was smooth inside. Ellis didn't really develop his outside game until the NBA.

And once again Maten chokes at the end of games.
Missed his last 4 shots when Ga was trying to ice a lead.
The dawgs got lucky to survive another time where their leader couldn't get it done when it mattered the most.

And once again Maten chokes at the end of games.
Missed his last 4 shots when Ga was trying to ice a lead.
The dawgs got lucky to survive another time where their leader couldn't get it done when it mattered the most.

21pts 10rbds

They aren’t in a position to “get lucky” and win without him today.

21pts 10rbds

They aren’t in a position to “get lucky” and win without him today.

I was just referring to the fact he seemingly fades at the ends of game. That was discussed as a reason they weren't a winning team and why some of us favored Williams over him for POTY.

They lose if Mizzu hits a wide open three and his 0/4 finish would have been glaring.

Oh yeah, Michael Brooks was a Lofton like shooter, he would have killed the 3-pointer. Ellis' mid-range game was deadly in college, plus he was smooth inside. Ellis didn't really develop his outside game until the NBA.

I've always thought of Brooks, Houston, and Edwards as the 3 best pure shooters that have ever played for TN. Lofton 4th. But Lofton and Houston were unstoppable even with a hand in their face. Brooks wasn't real quick but as far as making open shots, I don't think there's ever been a Vol that's better. MB might still have some free throw records. That guy was silk (AH too).

I was just referring to the fact he seemingly fades at the ends of game. That was discussed as a reason they weren't a winning team and why some of us favored Williams over him for POTY.

They lose if Mizzu hits a wide open three and his 0/4 finish would have been glaring.

It’s a stupid reason

I wonder what sort of stats Grant could have put up if the officials actually knew what a foul was. I love watching that team play. Congrats to Grant.

VN Store

Back