Grant vs. Lee: Who was Better?

It isn't a slant against Lee to point out he lost in an era where defense held the advantage.

Agreed! You come to Murfreesboro you will have to hollar at me. I know a guy that has a huge garage full of cannons and all sorts of Civil War relics.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I mean to do alot more battlefields than I do, me and the wife go to Gettysburg every year, and my cousin's farm is on Antietam Creek about 5 miles from the battlefield, so i've seen them a ton, but you can never go enough.

It isn't a slant against Lee to point out he lost in an era where defense held the advantage.

He was a great commander, without a doubt, and made a good living in the 7 Days, 2nd Manassas, and Chancellorsville by attacking on the defensive.

I personally put him #2 in American history, behind Arnold.

I don't know; there were so many generals who were good in their own little way.

I don't think you can really pinpoint one who stood above the rest.

I don't know; there were so many generals who were good in their own little way.

I don't think you can really pinpoint one who stood above the rest.

That's why the Civil War is great, you can pin prick each and every discussion without calling on 3000 years of history to prove/disprove a point. Theres enough written/known about most to where any buff can converse.

He was a great commander, without a doubt, and made a good living in the 7 Days, 2nd Manassas, and Chancellorsville by attacking on the defensive.

I personally put him #2 in American history, behind Arnold.

The Governator is pretty bad ass.

The Governator is pretty bad ass.

arnold.jpg

Okay. Period-appropriate equipment only.

I still take Arnold. Just about took Quebec after an overland winter march that nobody would think about doing today. Led boys over the British center at Saratoga with men who had no business facing the best the British Army had to offer, and drove a British force out of Connecticut with Militia and only one company of Continentals.

You have you opinion, but very few students of warfare put anyone ahead of Ben Arnold in the rating of American battle commanders.

Also, as I forgot, the capture of Ticonderoga, which was credited for posterity as Ethan Allen's working, when Arnold was responsible. Not saying he was a great guy, but he was nothing short of superb.

Never been to Stone's River, and sadly there isn't much written about it, I plan on going sooner rather than later.

You better hurry. Most of that battlefield is shopping malls and subdivisions now. What's left, besides the small national park, will probably be gone in a few years.

Gates took the laurels for Saratoga, and went to take command of the southern army, and Washington had to send Nat Greene south to clean up the mess and save the Revolution.

VN Store

Back