Grant vs. Lee: Who was Better?

My last look see was the 5th Alabama Battalion,,,they were so hard core that everyone wore unstained dark butternut 3rd generation Shell jackets. Yeah, that's pure Johnny Reb

Best Turner line ever

"We can't run away, we can't shoot, so let's fix bayonets"..

Daniel's lips quivering were true to diaries from the down easters....
When he yells "Bayonets!!!!!!" my heart shakes.

My last look see was the 5th Alabama Battalion,,,they were so hard core that everyone wore unstained dark butternut 3rd generation Shell jackets. Yeah, that's pure Johnny Reb

We have sky blues mostly. I have a blue frock coat that I wear a kepi with. My gray jacket is lined jean cloth. I wear a slouch hat with it. My mominlaw made both jackets. We have A tents and cots. We are there for a hobby not a living. We are hardcore when we need to be- when the public is present. Hell I take my ipod touch for bedtime.lol

Look us up on the web 61st TN Mounted Infantry Co K. We also do 79th NY Co K. Company A (NY) is located in Knoxville. We fight with them all the time.. good folks.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Best Turner line ever

"We can't run away, we can't shoot, so let's fix bayonets"..

Daniel's lips quivering were true to diaries from the down easters....
When he yells "Bayonets!!!!!!" my heart shakes.

I know how you feel.

What men, JV, hell. John Gibbon's fresh brigade standing nose to nose with the Stonewall Brigade for an hour at Brawner's Farm.

I love the glory, accept the brutality, I guess.

Must admit I am a huge Stonewall fan. I also had a triple great uncle that was in the Stonewall Brigade. We'll pick up tomorrow. Bed time. Have a good-un Billy Yank!

Me as well, you can't hate Jackson. I'm a Custer guy, don't like or hate, just have a fascination.

J,
I hate to harp on something, but if you want the best indepth look at Jackson's whole life, personality, and character, you have to read Stonewall Jackson by James I. Robertson. It is a must read for anyone with a remote interest in this man. One of the most well-written biographical books I have read. It has the feel of a novel. 600+ pages chock full of everything Jackson and everything that made Jackson Stonewall. Highly highly recommend. I think either pj or BPV is or has recently read it. They seemed to agree with my enthusiasm for the book.

Who should have more credit on 7/1/63,for keeping the Federal Left on the field; Reynolds for putting the lead division of I corps on the temporary offensive, to 'stem the tide' or Doubleday, for managing to keep I corps somewhat orderly on their withdrawal to Cemetary Ridge?

I would say they both deserve much credit. It was all over once Early's and Rhodes' divisions annihilated the Federal right.

Who should have more credit on 7/1/63,for keeping the Federal Left on the field; Reynolds for putting the lead division of I corps on the temporary offensive, to 'stem the tide' or Doubleday, for managing to keep I corps somewhat orderly on their withdrawal to Cemetary Ridge?

They go hand in hand, imo. Chamberlain's actions are just seen as being more 'sexy'.

My pick is for Lee.

This may have been mentioned but Grant came to the realization that no matter how many of his soldiers were killed they would eventually wear down the ANV on attrition alone in not just materials but in men and that's what happened. That's why he kept throwing his men against Southern troops in '64 if I'm not mistaken even Mary Lincoln called him a "butcher".

If Lee had had the unlimited resources of men and material that the North had then Grant would never have even faced Lee because by that time Lee would likely have destroyed the AoP or at least dealt them a blow that would have given him a chance to surround Washington. Lee would not want Washington he would have probably settled with Lincoln and the Potomac would have been the two Nations boundaries unless Maryland wanted into the Confederacy then who knows what would have happened.

Then again it all goes back to the friendly fire accident on May 3rd, 1863 who knows what would have happened over the next 24-48 hours in Chancellorsville, Va or a month later in Southern Pennsylvania in those early hours of a developing engagement on July 1st! Again if the above happens differently who knows Grant again may have never faced Lee.

FWIW, I've always heard from people that know a lot more about it than I do that the only reason the South lasted as long as it did was because Lee was such a superior general.

VN Store

Back