Graduate Transfer possibilities

On the Markel Crawford posts...

Tells me Tennessee is looking for a guy with more offensive punch, that was my question with Crawford I had and the lack of pursuit answers it. They are looking for someone much like what they lost in Mostella, a guy that can go for 20+ on a given night and get theirs without a play call.

On the Markel Crawford posts...

Tells me Tennessee is looking for a guy with more offensive punch, that was my question with Crawford I had and the lack of pursuit answers it. They are looking for someone much like what they lost in Mostella, a guy that can go for 20+ on a given night and get theirs without a play call.

Our staff has shown that they can evaluate talent. But I am a little surprised that I haven't heard more about us recruiting more in Memphis. The Memphis talent is more susceptible to leaving the city in many years. Tubby and staff just aren't recruiting well. There are a couple of top 100 players in 2018 and a couple of top 50 in 2019.

Our staff has shown that they can evaluate talent. But I am a little surprised that I haven't heard more about us recruiting more in Memphis. The Memphis talent is more susceptible to leaving the city in many years. Tubby and staff just aren't recruiting well. There are a couple of top 100 players in 2018 and a couple of top 50 in 2019.

With tight spots in 2018 it's not too much of a surprise, however Tennessee has been in contact with Tyler Harris & Rodgerick Brown.

Who's top 50 in 2019 from Memphis that's not a Lawson?

With tight spots in 2018 it's not too much of a surprise, however Tennessee has been in contact with Tyler Harris & Rodgerick Brown.

Who's top 50 in 2019 from Memphis that's not a Lawson?

Lawson and Lawson's cousin is in Olive Branch. I think his last name is Jeffries.

On here. That doesn't quite reach the level of "speculation" though. Moreso tin foil hat ponderings.

Recruiting-wise, Memphis is a deep, slimy, ugly cesspool. Too many hangers-on and controlling parents looking for guarantees and a big payoff as soon as possible. The Lawson saga should be eloquent testimony to the state of prep hoops scene in Memphis. If you want to recruit in Memphis it's best to go about it very very carefully and vet each prospect thoroughly.

BTW, I think Tubby will retire soon having realized what a mistake taking the Memphis job was.

Is the speculation that someone else leaves before the season?

I think Kwe Parker was really the only one that was expected. Schofield was a possibility early on in this past season until he picked his game up & started getting more playing time.

Jalen Johnson would be the only other player that might be a possibility of transferring in my opinion. If Lamonte Turner doesn't play better then he may hit the pine & be another candidate for leaving. Thanks.

Last edited:
I think Tre Parker was really the only one that was expected. Schofield was a possibility early on in this past season until he picked his game up & started getting more playing time.

Jalen Johnson would be the only other player that might be a possibility of transferring in my opinion. If Lamonte Turner doesn't play better then he may hit the pine & be another candidate for leaving. Thanks.

Tre Parker?

Recruiting-wise, Memphis is a deep, slimy, ugly cesspool. Too many hangers-on and controlling parents looking for guarantees and a big payoff as soon as possible. The Lawson saga should be eloquent testimony to the state of prep hoops scene in Memphis. If you want to recruit in Memphis it's best to go about it very very carefully and vet each prospect thoroughly.

BTW, I think Tubby will retire soon having realized what a mistake taking the Memphis job was.

I understand this, having grown up in Memphis. But at this point, it's not much worse than normal basketball recruiting. It's all a game.

But Memphis kids are now succeeding at different places. The Lawson situation was quite easy for Memphis, and Tubby didn't want to play the game. Tubby had 2 top 100 players by simply retaining (not hiring) their Dad. He has yet to recruit another one to Memphis. Their Dad is not working at Kansas, so he has given up money to let them go.

VN Store

Back