Grab 'em by the ... property

I've read the statement you posted several times and cannot see how you interpret that to say he's using money from campaign donations - he says it's his money and the message appears to be that if he had to put up about 1/2 a billion that would be less of his own money he could spend on the campaign. nowhere does it say he's using campaign donations
With the recent change at the RNC, it seems 'cult of hate' assumes campaign contributions and party contributions are now a giant slush fund for DJT.

I've read the statement you posted several times and cannot see how you interpret that to say he's using money from campaign donations - he says it's his money and the message appears to be that if he had to put up about 1/2 a billion that would be less of his own money he could spend on the campaign. nowhere does it say he's using campaign donations

The quote is:

"As they say I have a lot of cash. You know I do because you looked at my statements," Trump said during a news conference in New York on Monday.

He went on to say how he would also like to use his cash funds for his reelection bid and claimed, but "they don't want me to use my cash to get reelected."

The issue is, what is meant by "his cash funds"? As I say, my understanding was that he is not using his own money to fund the campaign, but he wants to use "his cash funds" for the campaign. This implies that he sees the campaign's money and his own money as "his cash funds."

Granted, that is not his phraseology. Still, assuming he posts a $175 million bond, a natural question to ask is whether that is coming from his own assets, or whether campaign monies are being used for it.

If the former, great. If the latter, I would think that at least some subset of Trump donors will be unhappy, and perhaps a lot of them unnerved by the notion that he is using campaign donations to fund a personal liability.

yep - but I'm just talking about basic reading comprehension. I guess when clouded by TDS it's like a secret decoder ring
In LG's defense, it is hard to know exactly what DJT means because the man will say anything at anytime. Most of us have simply learned to ignore it. Others haven't found the ability to ignore.

The quote is:

"As they say I have a lot of cash. You know I do because you looked at my statements," Trump said during a news conference in New York on Monday.

He went on to say how he would also like to use his cash funds for his reelection bid and claimed, but "they don't want me to use my cash to get reelected."

The issue is, what is meant by "his cash funds"? As I say, my understanding was that he is not using his own money to fund the campaign, but he wants to use "his cash funds" for the campaign. This implies that he sees the campaign's money and his own money as "his cash funds."

Granted, that is not his phraseology. Still, assuming he posts a $175 million bond, a natural question to ask is whether that is coming from his own assets, or whether campaign monies are being used for it.

If the former, great. If the latter, I would think that at least some subset of Trump donors will be unhappy, and perhaps a lot of them unnerved by the notion that he is using campaign donations to fund a personal liability.
He said repeatedly he has the money himself. Less paid in a bond is more he could spend on the election. Pretty straightforward. He spent some of his own money last time and the time before. Better to not have to but his ability to is impacted by the size of the bond.

There is nothing to suggest it's from the campaign donations. Zero.

Reactions: NurseGoodVol
There is nothing to suggest it's from the campaign donations. Zero.

Yet.

Trump seems the sort to believe he is entitled to use campaign donations for any purpose tied to his campaign, no matter how tenuous. I can see him arguing that he can use campaign money to fund his own liability i.e. pay this bond because he, personally, views the judgment against him as "political." (Notwithstanding that it arises from conduct before he was POTUS).

I just think that there is no way he can play games with this. He should say and document, one way or the other, whether he is using money donated to his campaign, to fund this.

Pretty simple question.

Can you imagine the reaction from the GOP if Biden used campaign money to, for example, pay for Hunter's criminal defense? There'd be impeachment hearings on it tomorrow.

In LG's defense, it is hard to know exactly what DJT means because the man will say anything at anytime. Most of us have simply learned to ignore it. Others haven't found the ability to ignore.

I've started screening out a lot of what he says as its repetitive garbage. But this is new, arises right now, and is a discreet question that I don't think he can mealy mouthed dodge for too long: Is ANY of that $175 million coming from campaign donations or campaign-generated revenues?

Reactions: McDad
Yet.

Trump seems the sort to believe he is entitled to use campaign donations for any purpose tied to his campaign, no matter how tenuous. I can see him arguing that he can use campaign money to fund his own liability i.e. pay this bond because he, personally, views the judgment against him as "political." (Notwithstanding that it arises from conduct before he was POTUS).

I just think that there is no way he can play games with this. He should say and document, one way or the other, whether he is using money donated to his campaign, to fund this.

Pretty simple question.

Can you imagine the reaction from the GOP if Biden used campaign money to, for example, pay for Hunter's criminal defense? There'd be impeachment hearings on it tomorrow.

LOL - look at how many conditionals you have to include to make up this alleged misdeed

Yet.

Pretty simple question.

I don't think he can as easily as you are posting.

For one, Trump supporters aren't 100% donating to Trump but rather his local campaign chapter in each state which has to be reported as a part of Campaign Finance laws. This includes both the expenditures and intake of funds. The funds are heavily watched so it will be well reported if he used funds on this lawsuit.

I'd think Trump will try to secure a bond for some/all of the 175 and not use his cash...

Agree. If he used political donations, it would be public record and could be utilized against him in debates, etc. Now merchandise sells outside of the campaign umbrella is another story. That is where he probably has or should be making money.

I've started screening out a lot of what he says as its repetitive garbage. But this is new, arises right now, and is a discreet question that I don't think he can mealy mouthed dodge for too long: Is ANY of that $175 million coming from campaign donations or campaign-generated revenues?
There is so much rhetoric with all pols it is smart to screen out much of it.

You won't know about the 175M until after the fact. Be patient.

Example:

It is unclear if Trump could use the funds to pay for the judgment. While federal law prohibits the use of campaign money for personal expenses, Trump has been able to use donor money to pay some of his lawyers’ fees, saying his legal defense is campaign-related.

Not an expert but I'm guessing that if he used money from donated campaign funds to pay the bond that would be a violation of the campaign finance laws.

Definitely has potential. I have seen some stretches on Finance laws that could open the door to paying for it. However, it would be PUBLIC if he did it and basically give grounds for the media to tear him a part.

lawgator1 is just spewing nonsense at this point on the topic.

Now, if Trump owned a company that sold merchandise, he could use those funds. That maybe a way around it as people are buying a product and not donating. Now that company would be subject to Federal Income Tax and Business laws.

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Reading the article it sounds like Trump is using the case to fund raise for his campaign and not to pay his legal bills.

The quoted portion says he has used campaign funds to pay for lawyers on the theory that they are working on "political" things. By that same logic, he can say that the judgment is "political," and so he can use campaign funds to post the bond.

The quoted portion says he has used campaign funds to pay for lawyers on the theory that they are working on "political" things. By that same logic, he can say that the judgment is "political," and so he can use campaign funds to post the bond.

Every good political campaign would have lawyers to confirm your campaign is in line with all Campaign laws as well as handle any legal challenges.

Not sure why having "lawyers" would not be a political expense, especially in this day and age.

I have no doubt in my mind that every campaign uses donations to pay for legal advice/assistance. I think it is smart to have lawyers on staff or retainer to keep the campaign within legal bounds.

I have no doubt in my mind that every campaign uses donations to pay for legal advice/assistance. I think it is smart to have lawyers on staff or retainer to keep the campaign within legal bounds.

Sure, legal questions about the campaign and the election, not paying bond on a judgment about how you ran your business.

Every good political campaign would have lawyers to confirm your campaign is in line with all Campaign laws as well as handle any legal challenges.

Not sure why having "lawyers" would not be a political expense, especially in this day and age.

Not paying a judgment or paying bond against one on how you ran your business, before you were even running for office.

VN Store

Back