Go Vols! Beat UCLA! (from Cal fans)

CAL's special admit program is not the same as UCLA's (UCLA's special admits require higher scores than does CAL) so you didn't rape anything moron. It's funny how you talk about how Prop 48 doesn't exist but then doesn't answer how Kidd or White got in when no other reputable academic institution would take them. Read the San Jose Mercury article I posted comparing entry scores for athletes at UCLA and CAL and then see who raped whom. CAL recruits players UCLA cannot even look at when it comes to football and basketball and CAL still has how many national championships? UCLA leads the nation. But you raped who?

do you even know what a special admit even means? you said "schools do not have the same exact entry requirements for "athletes." Students yes but not athletes "

Then i post an article proving you admit 16% more people who are below the bottom standard where regular students are admitted (which you admit is exactly the same) and you try to change the subject. yet you provide no proof whatsoever to back up your claims.

Last edited:
.... Also, to say that John Wooden (voted greatest coach ever in any sport recently) was a cheater is flat out wrong and offensive really. UCLA didn't even win during Woodens first 7 years as head coach but as soon as he was able to get the big time players it was all over for the rest of the country and history was made. He did not have to cheat to win and beat up on CAL every year just like UCLA does now......

You just lost your credibility.

Special admits are players that meet the NCAA minimum requirements for admission but not the University's standard which absolutely differs among each University (do you know what it means?). UCLA and CAL do not have the same standards for "special admits" because the committee that selects each student/athlete at UCLA is not the same one at CAL and their criteria (who they will or will not let in) is not universal for every UC school (each University has their own criteria above the NCAA mandated miniumum or they don't). Note: that UCLA had to "cease" recruiting these players and drop any form of offer after seeing their grades. CAL sure did benefit though and if you read towards the bottom about Jackson you will understand and pay attention to the sentence that reads, "Cal, which has different standards despite being in the same UC system, landed the talented playmaker". Now pay up!!!!

Here is an article on the subject of players that UCLA could not recruit due to grades that would have attended. I guarantee you will welsh on your bet so you lose all credibility:

Here is Brian Dohn's article on the topic.

can u give a list of some of the high profile players that would have come to UCLA if they had the grades like Marshawn Lynch, Reggie Dunn, Kemonte Bateman, etc
I did a story on it during Karl Dorrell's last season. I pasted it below to give you a better idea.

PRIZED RECRUITS CAN'T MAKE GRADE AT UCLA
UCLA FOOTBALL: PLAYERS ENDING UP AT OTHER PROGRAMS.
Author: Brian Dohn
Staff Writer

Article Text:

Imagine Arizona State's Rudy Carpenter, the 14th-rated quarterback in the nation, looking to his left and seeing California receiver DeSean Jackson to his right and seeing Washington State's Michael Bumpus.

In the same backfield, imagine Nebraska running back Marlon Lucky or even USC's Marc Tyler.

Now imagine them all wearing UCLA uniforms -- a collection of talent that could transform the Bruins' moribund offense into one of the elite.

All of them are Southern California kids and could have been at UCLA.

According to interviews with some of the players and with sources who asked for anonymity, UCLA was a prime choice for those players. But the coaching staff had to cease recruiting them because of academic issues that would keep them from getting into UCLA.

Such players are all over the Pacific-10 conference, and while Bruins coach Karl Dorrell is asked to compete with USC, Oregon, Arizona State and Cal on the field, the playing field when it comes to recruiting is heavily skewed.

``They are not going to win there, with any type of consistency, until they change the approach,'' said one former UCLA assistant who asked not to be identified. ``It doesn't matter who the coach is, or how much they pay him. Until UCLA gets serious about winning, and they start easing it (the university's admissions standard) so a few more kids can get in, you can't win consistently there.''

UCLA athletic director Dan Guerrero declined an interview for this story after being informed of his topic. But Dorrell did speak.

``There's tremendous challenges for recruiting that we have to be mindful of when we recruit,'' said Dorrell, the embattled coach who could be on the UCLA sideline for the last time Saturday when the Bruins face No. 8 USC at the Coliseum.

This is not to say UCLA doesn't miss on recruits, which Dorrell acknowledged happens.

USC defensive back Kevin Ellison, Cal quarterback Nate Longshore and Washington State running back Dwight Tardy -- who ran for 214 yards against the Bruins last month -- all had UCLA high on their lists during recruiting, but UCLA did not land them.

``I think every place has circumstances that they have to deal with,'' Dorrell said. ``The bottom line is you have to find players, and you have to find the quality young men that can help you get better as a program, and also succeed here at UCLA, and have the expectation of winning. I knew that was what was dealt for me when I came back here.''

However, according to several former assistant coaches at Pac-10 schools, UCLA's recruiting pool is markedly smaller than anyone else's in the league except Stanford's.

``The biggest deal in recruiting at UCLA is overcoming the academic standards, no question,'' said LSU receivers coach D.J. McCarthy, who was on the UCLA staff in 2006. ``There is a kid that I'm coaching now that I would have loved to have at UCLA, but when I saw the transcript, there was no way I could get him in. I had no chance of admissions even waiting on him to see what his test score would even be.''

UCLA's policy is not to sign a player to a letter of intent who is not preliminarily admitted into the school. According to sources, a high school athlete with less than a 2.0 grade-point average after his junior season is usually scratched off UCLA's recruiting list because of the infinitesimal chance he will make it through UCLA's admissions.

However, many of those players wind up playing in the Pac-10 -- against the Bruins.

``You look at them when you play against them and you're like, `Wow, we had an opportunity to get him here at UCLA, but did not,''' Dorrell said.

USC coach Pete Carroll declined comment for this story.

After a game at Crenshaw High in 2005, Colton High defensive back Shareece Wright said UCLA was high on his list. According to sources, Wright's transcripts made it impossible for UCLA to recruit him hard, but the school continued to show interest because it was also recruiting his teammate, Allen Bradford. Both Wright and Bradford wound up at USC.

Wright said he was told he had to take an online math class if he wanted to attend UCLA, and added, ``I didn't really like it on my unofficial visit. Their coaches weren't my style.''

Wright did not have to take the math class to attend USC.

UCLA's more stringent admittance standards, in part, can be traced back to former coach Bob Toledo's 1998 recruiting class, which was ranked as the best in the nation by several outlets.

``That class was filled with risks and had trouble in school,'' said one UCLA insider who requested anonymity. A source said about one-third of the class had academic problems at UCLA, although some of those individuals graduated.

If a player receives a poor grade in a class early in his high school career, some colleges allow the player to retake the class. ``UCLA frowns on that,'' McCarthy said.

One of the top prep receivers on the West Coast is Crenshaw High's Kamonte Bateman. He gave UCLA a non-binding oral commitment in the spring but was told he would not receive a written offer from the Bruins until he improved his academics.

Last month he committed to play at Arizona State, and sources said he will not have to show the marked academic improvement to get into Arizona State that UCLA's administration demanded.

Jeremy Childs spent a week trying to commit to UCLA. He called Don Johnson, the Bruins' recruiting coordinator in December 2004, several times, and even left a phone message detailing his decision to commit.

However, academics were an issue, and Childs went to Boise State. He leads the Broncos with 82 catches, more than double the total of anyone else on the team.

Bumpus, who is from Culver City, said in 2005 he wanted to go to UCLA but could not be admitted. He caught six passes for 62 yards as Washington State defeated the Bruins earlier this season.

Carpenter, a former Westlake High star, tried to commit to UCLA in January 2004 but was told issues with his transcripts could keep him from being admitted. When told he would have to wait a few weeks to learn if he was admitted, he chose the Sun Devils.

And there is also Jackson, one of the top receivers in the Pac-10 and also one of the best punt returners in the nation. Members of Jackson's family were constant visitors to UCLA's practices, sources said, but the Bruins could not get him into school because his core grades were not up to UCLA's standards.

Cal, which has different standards despite being in the same UC system, landed the talented playmaker.

``UCLA, no matter how big your class is, you get two to four exceptions, as far as low-end kids that they will allow into school,'' said LSU's McCarthy, who played at Washington. ``Cal, they may get six to eight of those type of exceptions into school. USC is a private school, so they can make their bends where they want, to get (kids) into school.''

And then there are the high school players UCLA does not even get a chance to recruit heavily because of academic issues.

Lucky, a former North Hollywood High star who ran for 1,019 yards this season at Nebraska, and LSU cornerback Jai Eugene, expressed interest in UCLA but were not pursued, sources said. USC's Marc Tyler, the son of former UCLA tailback Wendell Tyler, and Oregon defensive back Jarius Byrd also were checked off UCLA's recruiting list early, according to sources, because of academic issues.

Malik Jackson and Marquis Jackson, twin defensive ends from Birmingham High of Lake Balboa, are in a similar situation. The Bruins' coaching staff had to ease the recruitment of the pair because of academics. Malik gave an oral commitment to Fresno State, but said he is still recruited by other schools, including USC.

``(UCLA) told me my grades weren't good enough and they'd have to wait until I got them up,'' Malik said. ``I guess they found someone else.''

Whereas Toledo's 1998 class may have turned UCLA's academic people in one direction, the Bruins are excelling in the classroom under Dorrell. Seventy-three of the 80 players in Dorrell's first four recruiting classes are still in school. In the spring, 23 members of the football team were on the school's Athletic Director's Honor Roll, which requires a 3.0 grade point average or better.

But even that doesn't appear to be enough to change the recruiting situation, because several of UCLA's former assistants said the problem isn't keeping players in school, but getting them into school.

``I think UCLA has great resources when it comes to academics,'' McCarthy said. ``Those people do a great job with the kids, and the tutoring, and the hours, and making sure they get it done. You've got the stuff lined up academically, but you've got to allow those kids to come in.''

Last edited:
It's not that they are Rhodes scholars but CAL and USC often land star players that UCLA and Stanford could not even recruit. USC stashes star players who don't even qualify out of high school at junior colleges and in a year walla, they are playing. If you want to win you have to get star players so I understand why they do it but to hide your head in the sand as though everyone recruits the same players is far from true and that goes on in every conference (I am sure Florida gets guys that Vanderbilt does not even look at).

Didn't UT nearly win a softball title two years ago with that star pitcher?? It looked like they take it pretty serious too.

By the way, what you posted is merely the ratio between regular students (non athletes) and athletes. Yes, UCLA's ratio is larger because the normal student body's requirements are not the same as the athletes (it isn't at any school I know of other than the Ivies or Military academies) and entry into UCLA is among the most difficult in the country. That wasn't the issue. The issue is the comparison between CAL athletes and UCLA athletes and how CAL can get players like Russell White, D. Jackson, Lynch and Mebane into school when UCLA can't even make them an offer. I posted an article detailing exact instances of this since you offered 1000$ so pay up or shut up.

i posted a link showing jackson's gpa was a 3.0. your administration regurally LIES to reporters. nowhere do i see the supposed quote by jackson or lynch that they wanted to go to ucla. and if this is true why does cal a) have a far higher apr than ucla and b) have far more academic all pac-10 players EVERY YEAR than ucla?

Here is another article on the exact issue from the OC register. So now you are right and reporters are lying in newspapers about guys without repercussion? Sure, you have more credibility than reporters now: This one specifically mentions Lynch for you by the way LOL but you won't pay up of course 1000$$$$ or you look like a total loser.

OC Register:

Friday, October 17, 2008
It's all academic for Stanford, UCLA
The two schools, which meet on the football field Saturday, have the toughest entrance requirements in the Pac-10.
By MARK SAXON
The Orange County Register
Comments 0| Recommend 6

LOS ANGELES – For once this week, UCLA fans can't complain about the school's tough academic standards. Stanford is visiting the Rose Bowl.

The teams renew their annual battle to see which team finishes in the middle of the Pac-10 standings and which team finishes at or near the bottom.

Stanford has a chance to get off to its best conference start since 2001 with a victory, but these aren't exactly two programs at the zenith of West Coast football.

The teams have struggled to keep their heads above water for exactly the same reason, but most college football fans only give Stanford the benefit of the doubt.

Stanford has the highest academic standards for athletes of any major school in the nation, but few people realize that UCLA just might rank in the top three most stringent, along with Notre Dame.

"I think it's probably a little under the radar for most folks," UCLA coach Rick Neuheisel said. "What's unique is that even within the UC system, there are different standards."

Neuheisel, of course, is referring to Cal, which has admitted far more academically marginal players in recent seasons than UCLA has. Tailback Marshawn Lynch and receiver DeSean Jackson, now both NFL starters, expressed interest in playing for the Bruins, but couldn't qualify.

Cal isn't the only school that has absorbed players who couldn't cut it at UCLA. The nation's No. 1 prep tailback last February, Darrell Scott, wanted to be a Bruin, but didn't have the scores. He now plays for Colorado.

"I talk to a lot of guys who are like, 'Oh man, I want to be a Bruin, but I can't get in,'" said UCLA defensive tackle Brigham Harwell, who had to retake the SAT in order to qualify despite a 3.1 grade-point average. "I'm talking about big-time players. I can give you a whole list, but I don't want to put that in the paper. Getting in here is hard, really hard."

The challenge for UCLA is doubled. Not only does it have a smaller recruiting pool than most Pac-10 schools, but most weeks it has to line up against players who wanted to be on their side.

Neuheisel now has to figure out a way to overcome a major recruiting disadvantage, something Karl Dorrell couldn't quite master.

"It's a challenge, because it diminishes the pool, but it's not a deal breaker," Neuheisel said. "First, UCLA has always given opportunities to the hard-working kids, so there will be some guys we can get into school that maybe otherwise wouldn't be eligible. No. 2, we've just got to do a great job of recruiting those kids who have the resumes to be excellent in both."

The problem for Neuheisel and his staff is they keep running into Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh on the recruiting circuit. Harbaugh's net reaches all across America. Of Stanford's 22 offensive and defensive starters, only nine are from California.

It's hard for the nation's brightest athletes to turn down Stanford's reputation. It's hard for their parents to turn down the chance to save $150,000 or more, the value of a four-year Stanford scholarship.

Harbaugh said the school's standards are both an advantage and a disadvantage. He insists that Stanford has higher admissions standards for athletes than the Ivy League schools, which compete in the lower Football Championship Subdivision.

"It's totally different, because our pool is so much smaller," Harbaugh said. "We're not going after student athletes. We're going after scholar athletes."

Last edited:
it's unbelievable that you actually believe this bullcrap. do you really think lynch would have left berkeley and his family to go to ucla? it's all excuses you guys are making because cal has clearly surpassed you in football. let slick rick "leak" said information and than take guys like price and other guys who would barely qualify at asu. i guess if you repeat something enough times it becomes fact right?

Last edited:
So now you need a quote from a player saying "I wanted to go to UCLA but I was too dumb to get in there so I went to CAL?" Like anyone is going to put that in the paper. Come on, coaches and reporters would not risk slander law suits just to issue a quote like that and you know it. You hear the former player say he knew of many top players that wanted in but couldn't and wouldn't name them because that would be wrong.

All academic performers are one thing, star players that result in wins are another and that is what we discuss. Kickers and backups can be all pac-10 academic and don't really matter much. Talk about your NFL guys who actually carry your team like Lynch, Jackson, Best, Mebane etc. That is who we are talking about.

So now you need a quote from a player saying "I wanted to go to UCLA but I was too dumb to get in there so I went to CAL?" Like anyone is going to put that in the paper. Come on, coaches and reporters would not risk slander law suits just to issue a quote like that and you know it. You hear the former player say he knew of many top players that wanted in but couldn't and wouldn't name them because that would be wrong.

All academic performers are one thing, star players that result in wins are another and that is what we discuss. Kickers and backups can be all pac-10 academic and don't really matter much. Talk about your NFL guys who actually carry your team like Lynch, Jackson, Best, Mebane etc. That is who we are talking about.

you said there were quotes from both jackson and lynch saying they wanted to play for ucla. do you now admit you are full of it?

and what slander lawsuit can slick rick get by simply implying there are unnamed players he couldn't get in? you posted the average sat scores for the two schools. 6 points difference. 6 POINTS!!! if cal is really admitting all these students every year why isn't there a difference in sat scores?

Lynch is from E. Oakland not Berkeley and he wanted to go to UCLA after visiting early in his junior year after he was injured in high school. You act as though CAL doesn't thiev 65% + of it's roster from the southern cal area. Players leave their home base all of the time so that is ridiculous to even state such a thing. Bottom line, I have produced 2 full articles with names of players that could not even get an offer from UCLA and ended up at CAL and other places. Now pay up or welch.

Have you gotten in touch with the SID at UW to talk to Sarkisian?
Yes, and they politely declined to comment. My guess is that they know they're going to be recruiting against Kiffin and realized anything Sarkisian says, positive or negative, would be used against them.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I said i'd pay $1000 for this quote that you says exist "Marshawn Lynch stated that he would have attended UCLA if he could have met their standards months before committing to CAL"

Let's see it?

You linked two articles based on self serving ucla sources. my toilet paper is worth more than both those rags. why don't you post an article on Bruins Nation - Blog Of The Bruins, By The Bruins, For The Bruins while you are at it.

It's not their entire roster dude, it's a small bundle of superstars that carry your team at issue here. Players are not going to publicly say they were not qualified to get into one school so what you ask requires a personal conversation with the athlete. I know Jackson personally so I was close to the situation which is why I know he wanted to attend UCLA or go pro baseball out of High school. Two articles with names of guys UCLA coaches stated wanted to attend but could not even get an offer because of academics. Lynch and Jackson are on that list pay up.

And it would be slanderous to publicly say a guy did not qualify so had to go elsewhere when in fact he did. That's what happened and it's obvious to anyone who knew these guys.

Figures a guy ask for something no player would admit as proof. Please ask one of them yourself if you ever meet them I already spoke to Jackson about this issue back when he played for LB Poly. I figured you would be to Berkeley to pay up. Good day and just beat that D-2 squad you play this week.

Figures a guy ask for something no player would admit as proof. Please ask one of them yourself if you ever meet them I already spoke to Jackson about this issue back when he played for LB Poly. I figured you would be to Berkeley to pay up. Good day and just beat that D-2 squad you play this week.

why in the world would jackson want to play for ucla when he had offers from usc and cal?

I stated that there were articles stating that Jackson and Lynch wanted to go to UCLA but could not due to academics and produced them. Jackson told our agency personally he was upset he could not get in and was being made to jump through extra hoops for UCLA. UCLA lost a super star DT and OT from the juco ranks this year for the same reasons and watch both end up at some other big time school next year. This is a known fact.

The same reason Morrell Pressley and Randy Carroll did this year. Both were verbally committed to USC and changed their minds. It happens and USC has stolen more than a few of UCLA's in the past (Kaluka Maiava from last year's team being one).

you have the same juco transfer requirements cal has. your known facts are complete and utter crap. go back to the idiots and circle jerk at bro.

VN Store

Back