Give me your Top 3 canidates...

Yes he had shortcomings, but he also had to kick quite a few players off the team and dealt with a bunch of admin/donor Bulls!t from Day 1.

The only issue with Strong is his history of OC hires. I’d take his SEC experience over some of these other mid major coaches who have zero name ID or big time recruiting prowess.

However, I expect ya to hire a splash name.

That is pretty common when a new HC comes in. They usually have to weed out the ones who aren't gonna accept the new culture that is being brought in. Saban's first year at Ala he had to spend a year doing that.His first year at Ala he went 6-6 and had to kick numerous players off who wouldn't buy into to his culture. I remember when we played Ala in Nick's first year he suspended numerous players and announced it right before kick off. I remember thinking damn this team is a trainwreck and we are gonna run them off the field. Then Nick did what he's done to us since getting to Ala and beat our a$$'s short-handed and with Mike Shula players.

That is pretty common when a new HC comes in. They usually have to weed out the ones who aren't gonna accept the new culture that is being brought in. Saban's first year at Ala he had to spend a year doing that.His first year at Ala he went 6-6 and had to kick numerous players off who wouldn't buy into to his culture. I remember when we played Ala in Nick's first year he suspended numerous players and announced it right before kick off. I remember thinking damn this team is a trainwreck and we are gonna run them off the field. Then Nick did what he's done to us since getting to Ala and beat our a$$'s short-handed and with Mike Shula players.

A lot of Sabans players weren’t loyal to Shula and causing problems like Strong dealt with at Texas and players loyal to Mack.

I give Strong a pass on that because he has coaching pedigree to be in the SEC. Texas was a bad fit and he would have been a fool to turn down that job.

I was always a big Les fan but I'm bet good money he will not get a sniff, and he shouldn't. You're a bozo if you think he has any kind of shot to be the coach here.

Yet nobody can make a sensible argument, that uses facts, to back up why Miles shouldnt be contacted. Miles has just as good if a shot as any other coach. If not, provide proof saying otherwise.

Patterson....... Open the checkbook for him

I honestly think he is content staying at TCU until he retires. He's built a great program at TCU and has no reason to wanna leave. And I honestly don't blame him. They love him there and job security doesn't get much stronger than what he has there. He is at a school where he can get to and have a shot at winning a NC.

Yet nobody can make a sensible argument, that uses facts, to back up why Miles shouldnt be contacted. Miles has just as good if a shot as any other coach. If not, provide proof saying otherwise.

Miles was lucky..He took over the program loaded with talent from Saban and just rode that wave for awhile...Talent was already in place...Recruiting to a winning program is easy when of course your winning...As time went on tho that talent got harder for him to get and they ran him out of town...Not sure he could do that at UT...There is a reason no other school has tried to hire him.

Miles was lucky..He took over the program loaded with talent from Saban and just rode that wave for awhile...Talent was already in place...Recruiting to a winning program is easy when of course your winning...As time went on tho that talent got harder for him to get and they ran him out of town...Not sure he could do that at UT...There is a reason no other school has tried to hire him.

So his 44-9 record from 2010-2013 was due to Saban’s recruits? Interesting.

Reactions: 3 people
😂same ****ers from five years ago. None of which wants anything to do with the school

A lot of Sabans players weren’t loyal to Shula and causing problems like Strong dealt with at Texas and players loyal to Mack.

I give Strong a pass on that because he has coaching pedigree to be in the SEC. Texas was a bad fit and he would have been a fool to turn down that job.

I definitely don't blame him for taking the job it's one of those schools you don't turn down very easily. I don't think he was given enough time he should have gotten a 4th year but it is hard to defend 3 straight 5-7 seasons with the salaries Coach's get this day and age. But with those salaries comes an expectation to win soon and if you can't they will hire someone who can.He very well could win as a HC in the SEC and he may get that chance again one day. The biggest mistake made by Hart when Strong originally accepted the job he let him go home that night and gave him time to rethink it instead of putting him and his wife on the plane right then. But being able to see his players again before they could get him on a plane to TN was a huge mistake and it cost him his new coach. Would have liked to see what he could have done if he had been hired and not Butch.

I definitely don't blame him for taking the job it's one of those schools you don't turn down very easily. I don't think he was given enough time he should have gotten a 4th year but it is hard to defend 3 straight 5-7 seasons with the salaries Coach's get this day and age. But with those salaries comes an expectation to win soon and if you can't they will hire someone who can.He very well could win as a HC in the SEC and he may get that chance again one day. The biggest mistake made by Hart when Strong originally accepted the job he let him go home that night and gave him time to rethink it instead of putting him and his wife on the plane right then. But being able to see his players again before they could get him on a plane to TN was a huge mistake and it cost him his new coach. Would have liked to see what he could have done if he had been hired and not Butch.

I think Hart’s mistake was not matching the money Louisville gave Strong to get him to stay. Hart should have gotten the last word in.

😂same ****ers from five years ago. None of which wants anything to do with the school

Outside of Gruden and Patterson it's a completely different set of names. But they are just names being thrown around by fans and media. Only Currie and the decision makers know who the real candidates are. Probably a name or 2 that nobody has thought of Butch came out of nowhere in 2012 he wasn't on any potential HC lists by fans or the media. So god knows who is on the list if Gruden turns us down.V very curious to see if his list of potential candidate's are guys who have been power 5 HC's or like our last couple and mostly lifetime mid major coach's. Is he targeting big name coordinator's who are due to get their first HC job soon? Or does he get whatever money he needs to lure a successful big name coach. Or lastly does he go after the so called up and comers who are the flavors of the month like Brohm, Frost, Montgomery, Norvell or even a current NFL Assistant. Possibly even names nobody would have thought of.Regardless, this hire will tell us if this is the same old TN athletic department or has the new regime rededicated us to get back to winning again. Won't be too long before we know that answer. Maybe I'm just being optimistic but I really think this time will be different. We throw millions at the right guy and give him whatever he needs to hire his guys and bring in an elite staff to parlay with him.

Last edited:
I think Hart’s mistake was not matching the money Louisville gave Strong to get him to stay. Hart should have gotten the last word in.

I agree. But after he got to meet with his players and Look them eye to eye I think it was over. Hart should never have taken the risk of leaving him behind and getting to sleep on it.Also don't think the damn near empty and short on talent roster did us any favors. A loaded group of players and ones you can win with can definitely help overcome some of the other uncertainty. We will atleast be able to use what will be on campus waiting on the next guy as an incentive. Won't be a complete roster rebuild this go around which will be very enticing.

Dream hire:
1. Gary Patterson
2. Chip Kelly
3. Chris Peterson

Realistic targets:
1. Scott Frost
2. Jay Norvell
3. Jeff Brohm

I would be happy with Frost, I think he would be a good hire bringing winning with him as a player and offensive coordinator. However, no one knows what Currie is thinking. I know it’s apples to oranges but given how the baseball hire went Currie really likes to play things extremely close to the vest. I’d love to see us go after other guys like Venables if we go with a coordinator, but my gut tells me we’ll go cheap yet again.

Reactions: 1 person
The wheels came off this program when David Cutcliffe left to take the Duke job. He needs to come back and change the tires, himself.

Yes, he is 63. He may only have 4 or 5 good years left to coach. However, if you want to see UT compete for championships IMMEDIATELY... then he is the guy.

Coach Cut can be the bridge to the day when one of his disciples... Gruden, Peyton, Tee, Jim Bob ... is ready to take the job.

Cutcillfe would win the SEC east within the next two seasons... probably twice.

You "want it now?" You want to see Vol offensive linemen fire off the ball and take it to a D-line like the one at Alabama? You want to see receivers running open and quarterbacks hitting them in stride and on time? You want to see brute force AND deception when the offense is inside the 5?

Of course you do. :)

If you want to see all those characteristics in UT football in 2018, then jump on the coach Cut bandwagon. (With ME...) lol

No

What about Gundy from Oklahoma State as a possible head coach? Gundy played at Ok State, so there may be some difficulty getting him away from his school.

UT needs to hire a coach PROVEN successful on the national level. Since 2008, Gundy and Oklahoma State have been ranked in the end of the year top 25 7 times, including #3 in 2011. He has won one conference championship. Since 2006 the Cowboys have won 7 of their 11 bowl games. If he can be successful in the shadow of OU and Texas, he should be able to do well with UT’s resources.

He was my first choice last time, but he completely played us for a pay raise from OK St. He isn't leaving his alma mater where he only needs to win 1-2 tough games a year to possibly play for conference and nat'l titles to a conference where he has to play Florida, UGA, and Bama every year. Ain't happening.

Reactions: 1 person

Luck has nothing to do with anything. Miles won and recruited at a high rate long after Saban left. Provide proof that no other school has tried to hire him. Your argument is as dumb as those who harp about his penchant for blundering a game or two.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back