Give me your Top 3 canidates...

Proof - multiple games where he mis-managed the clock and lost to inferior opponents (Ole Miss, Auburn). And a couple more where he should have lost (remember Dooley 2010, Ole Miss). Nice record, but had more talent than anyone but Bama. Yes he could recruit, but so could Butch, Fulmer, etc., and he had more local talent. Just as much proof as there is that he would win 10 games/year.

Yet the only reason he doesn’t have more SEC titles was because of Saban and Bama and the two good seasons that Auburn had going to nattys. Take Saban out of it and Les is Nick Saban. Can’t say that for other coaches.

Les is a better coach for UT than mid major coaches with no name ID. However, I don’t expect us to get to where we have to chose between Les and Mid Majors like Brohm, Campbell (Lord forbid), or others.

Reactions: 1 person
We will get the coach from UAB or Memphis.

Brohm from Purdue would probably be a good hire.

Durkin from Maryland has shown the ability to recruit where there was no hope, and build a somewhat respectable program in a very tough division.

Other than that, we need to take Miles and accept that we will be a 9-10 win program with Miles while we continue to recruit at a respectable level and wait until Saban retires.

Hire Gundy on Hair style alone and the balls to wear it...

ByFHXj0IIAEu-UO.jpg

If enough money is put on the table to save this historic program, things both realistic and necessary, then what coaches does Tennessee pursue:
James Franklin?
Urban Meyer?
Mark Richt?
If not these then name a few...

Definitely not these. Kelly or Petrino would require the university brass to meet with Sankey due to previous allegations. Since that new conference rule in part was probably brought about due to the Donnie Tyndall situation, I don't see anyone at Tennessee going there, so I count them out.

When a search process starts, you vet several coaches. Two less mentioned names worth a few phone calls might be Troy Calhoun at Air Force and Frank Wilson at UTSA. Chad Morris of SMU has been mentioned too. But I think Scott Frost might be the best bet.

Yet the only reason he doesn’t have more SEC titles was because of Saban and Bama and the two good seasons that Auburn had going to nattys. Take Saban out of it and Les is Nick Saban. Can’t say that for other coaches.

Les is a better coach for UT than mid major coaches with no name ID. However, I don’t expect us to get to where we have to chose between Les and Mid Majors like Brohm, Campbell (Lord forbid), or others.
Probably, I just don't think he's the sure-thing, home-run candidate that others on here do. Because he won at LSU is not "proof" that he would do it here.

Probably, I just don't think he's the sure-thing, home-run candidate that others on here do. Because he won at LSU is not "proof" that he would do it here.

His road to bounce back is much easier at Tennessee. He plays a division much weaker than the West. A loss to Bama doesn’t automatically take us out of the running for a division title. Tennessee sells itself to recruits just as good if not better than LSU.

Reactions: 2 people
JMB just tries to play the "Gotcha!" game with me since I wiped my backside with his idea that Dan Mullen would be the savior of UT football for decades to come. Of course, saying such, JMB starts breathing through his mouth and goes on about what a Butch lover I am and don't want relevancy in UT football or some such nonsense.

Anyway, with the information Steve brought, I do think he, oh sorry, PETERSEN, is off the table.

Wasn’t siding with anybody...just how it read. Always have felt this Peterson dream is a big reach. Wouldn’t leave Boise State for us and now he’s at his dream school.

His road to bounce back is much easier at Tennessee. He plays a division much weaker than the West. A loss to Bama doesn’t automatically take us out of the running for a division title. Tennessee sells itself to recruits just as good if not better than LSU.

We're not hiring Les Miles. He was a top coach back in the day but his time has passed. Won't even be on the list.

Mullen. Petrino. Colorado's coach. Iowa states coach. Any coach who has some wins over teams they shouldn't. Like Troys coach. Give them UT's resources and we're set!!

I can almost guarantee you he won't get a sniff. He's 64 and well past his prime.

I guarantee you that you’re wrong.

Just like the Gruden and Kelly situations, Les doesn’t require a buyout. If we buyout Jones, which we will, we will look at financially advantageous coaches in the hiring process.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I was always a big Les fan but I'm bet good money he will not get a sniff, and he shouldn't. You're a bozo if you think he has any kind of shot to be the coach here.

There a few big money boosters that want to make replacing Butch happen without paying tons in buyout money, both for Butch and new coach. Not saying Les is gonna get the job, but I guarantee he gets an interview because when contacted, he’s automatically gonna be interested.

Laughable to think Spurrier would come out of retirement to be an OC anywhere

If that was ever gonna be a possibility then Flor would be the only place he would ever consider. Put something in his contract that he wouldn't have to recruit on the road and could work his own hours outside of having to meet with coach's and players on the upcoming game plan. I honestly think he would atleast consider it.But Flor would be the only place he would even give a second thought to.I prefer he just keeps his a$$ on golf courses and not football stadiums.

If that was ever gonna be a possibility then Flor would be the only place he would ever consider. Put something in his contract that he wouldn't have to recruit on the road and could work his own hours outside of having to meet with coach's and players on the upcoming game plan. I honestly think he would atleast consider it.But Flor would be the only place he would even give a second thought to.I prefer he just keeps his a$$ on golf courses and not football stadiums.

Spurrier would take an OC job anywhere at a big school. I bet if Butch called him last year, he would have came for right price. Guy just said he hasn’t closed the door on coaching. Hell, I could see him and Les teaming up at a big school.

VN Store

Back