Give me the starting OL

Many posters on here don't know the game.

Funny that you say that in this, perhaps the best real football conversation on these boards in weeks.

To everyone who have contributed meaningful responses: really enjoying the discussion, thanks for the insights!

Reactions: 7 people
Could you imagine the run mauling of our oline if Smith/Kennedy/Hall are the 3 interior players, it would be a dream.

I would Not count on HALL more than maybe a few games... He is injury prone. I think he would be a better 6th man

Reactions: 1 person
Don’t count out K’rojhn Calbert. #74. He looked absolutely huge at the O&W game. Every bit as big as Trey Smith. Maybe not as athletic, but size is not an issue with that young man lol.

Don’t count out K’rojhn Calbert. #74. He looked absolutely huge at the O&W game. Every bit as big as Trey Smith. Maybe not as athletic, but size is not an issue with that young man lol.

Size and talent isn’t his problem. Health is. Another one of Jones’ gambles.

We have a real OL coach now. We'll find out soon enough how much of it was coaching and how much was the players themselves.

This is very true imo. The results of how much better the unit looked during the orange and white game in spite of being short handed was a minor miracle.

Assuming everybody is healthy

Richmond
Smith
Kennedy
Locklear
Hall

I believe Smith will be back so if Hall isn’t healthy then put Tatum at RT.

Size and talent isn’t his problem. Health is. Another one of Jones’ gambles.

He practiced for most of the spring iirc. I think the new system will allow our OL to be more aggressive and less likely to get hurt. When you’re trying to contain the defensive line and you’re on your heels bad things happen.

This is very true imo. The results of how much better the unit looked during the orange and white game in spite of being short handed was a minor miracle.

I think we will know how much our OL has improved by the UF game this year (WVU isn't good up front so if we struggle there.....). I'm not making any predictions based on a glorified scrimmage against a DL that was atrocious last year.

LT- Richmond
LG- Kennedy
C-Johnson
RG- locklear
RT- Trey

LT- Richmond
LG-kennedy
C- johnson
RG- smith
RT- Tatum

either one of these

Would we be better off having Trey Smith (if healthy) at LT even if that means Richmond has to come off the bench? I don't know why we would put our weakest OL (Richmond) at the most important position (LT) while putting our best lineman (Smith) at the least important OL position (Guard)?

Maybe Richmond will improve this year with more experience and better coaching. One can always hope. :rock:

So glad this young man was able to pursue his graduate studies at UT,. which of course offered that specific grad school opportunity not available at UA. That young man is serious about his studies.

Edit:. Actually graduating in 3yrs from a unibis pretty impressive. Will finish playing here when his grad degree complete too. 5yrs and a Master's. Not bad.

But what do the backups look like?

Jahmir Johnson, Carvin, and Tatum should all be serviceable. Plus one of the six names being thrown around as a starter in this thread. The staff has made great strides improving the oline potential this off season. They should be applauded

Reactions: 3 people
I’m thinking something like this...

LT - Richmond/Tatum/Calbert
LG - Smith/J. Johnson/ Carvin
C - Kennedy/Johnson/Locklear
RG - Johnson/Locklear / J. Johnson
RT - Hall/Tatum/Calbert

I think 4 of the positions are filled, Richmond, Smith, Kennedy, and Hall. I could see the line organized many ways, but those 4 are on the field if healthy. To me the big question is who is our second guard. I could see R. Johnson, Locklear, J. Johnson, or Carvin starting game 1.

Last edited:
I’m thinking something like this...

LT - Richmond/Tatum/Calbert
LG - Smith/J. Johnson/ Carvin
C - Kennedy/Johnson/Locklear
RG - Johnson/Locklear / J. Johnson
RT - Hall/Tatum/Calbert

I think 4 of the positions are filled, Richmond, Smith, Kennedy, and Hall. I could the line organized many ways, but those 4 are on the field if healthy. To me the big question is who is our second guard. I could see R. Johnson, Locklear, J. Johnson, or Carvin starting game 1.

I'm glad someone finally noted that we have an R.Johnson and a J.Johnson in the mix. :hi:

And I would like to think Ryan Johnson could turn out to be a pretty good center. If Kennedy turns out to be significantly better than that, well, alrighty then. :popcorn:

Last edited:

VN Store

Back