Give me the starting OL

LT-Richmond
LG-Smith
C-Kennedy
RG-Hall
RT-Tatum

Putting Smith and Hall at Guard might be the way of getting "the best 5 guys" on the field together. Guard mighy also be safer for Hall to play with his knee.

I mostly agree with this, but I'm not sure Tatum is one of our best 5 if everyone is healthy. He's gotten bigger, but I didn't think he carried that weight too well in the spring.

If healthy hall is most likely starter at RT Kennedy being signed could change that somewhat and push him into being swing lineman but he has too much experience to think he wont win out over a younger more "talented" guy

Oline is the one place on a football team where experience almost always trumps talent unless the gap is just insane. Its why starting true freshman LT's and Centers are like hens teeth.

Reactions: 1 person
I’m thinking something like this...

LT - Richmond/Tatum/Calbert
LG - Smith/J. Johnson/ Carvin
C - Kennedy/Johnson/Locklear
RG - Johnson/Locklear / J. Johnson
RT - Hall/Tatum/Calbert

I think 4 of the positions are filled, Richmond, Smith, Kennedy, and Hall. I could see the line organized many ways, but those 4 are on the field if healthy. To me the big question is who is our second guard. I could see R. Johnson, Locklear, J. Johnson, or Carvin starting game 1.

That's ridiculous. You don't have a clue what's filled. Hall being ready would be a never before recovery. And you've got him locked in at starter. Whatever. Kennedy is also coming off injuries and just got on campus.

That's ridiculous. You don't have a clue what's filled. Hall being ready would be a never before recovery. And you've got him locked in at starter. Whatever. Kennedy is also coming off injuries and just got on campus.

Lol. Your right I don’t. But it’s my opinion. So keep the arrogance of yours to yourself bud.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

Damn. He said "I'm thinking" "I think" and "I could see".

Have a drink. And a Snickers.

Reactions: 8 people
Starters:

LT - Richmond
LG - Smith
C - Kennedy
RG- R. Johnson
RT - J. Johnson

Backups:

LT - Tatum
LG - Calbert
C - Locklear
RG - Hall
RT - Abercombie

Jahmir Johnson, Carvin, and Tatum should all be serviceable. Plus one of the six names being thrown around as a starter in this thread. The staff has made great strides improving the oline potential this off season. They should be applauded

I agree.

Vol fans are very aware of how injuries can affect a team. The most competitive teams are those that can go 2 and 3 deep with quality talent. I believe this staff will get us there, but until they do, we need to stay away from the injury bug.

While I'm tickled to have Kennedy and Jamir Johnson in the house, let's tap the brakes on giving them a free ride to the starting lineup. As for Johnson, let's recall Dontavious Blair. It's always somewhat of a crap shoot with JUCOs so temper your expectations until practice starts. As for Kennedy, there's a reason he never could break into the starting rotation at Alabama. Granted, it is Bama and they have a boatload of studs, but we ought not automatically assume he's better than what we have. It's fantastic depth, and hopefully more, but let's see how practice goes first.

Reactions: 3 people
While I'm tickled to have Kennedy and Jamir Johnson in the house, let's tap the brakes on giving them a free ride to the starting lineup. As for Johnson, let's recall Dontavious Blair. It's always somewhat of a crap shoot with JUCOs so temper your expectations until practice starts. As for Kennedy, there's a reason he never could break into the starting rotation at Alabama. Granted, it is Bama and they have a boatload of studs, but we ought not automatically assume he's better than what we have. It's fantastic depth, and hopefully more, but let's see how practice goes first.
Completely agree with you but wrt to Kennedy, he redshirted his first year, played just a bit his second, and got hurt for his third. Not an entirely unheard of rate of progression. I'm more concerned about the injury rather than him not starting at bama, and even then not too worried.

But your point of him being unproven if still completely valid.

LT-Richmond
LG-Smith
C-Kennedy
RG-Hall
RT-Tatum

Putting Smith and Hall at Guard might be the way of getting "the best 5 guys" on the field together. Guard mighy also be safer for Hall to play with his knee.

This mine too. Richmond and Tatum on the edges.

Ryan Johnson showed he can play center this past spring.
Locklear is probably your 6th man.

Tatum is finally reaching his potential. People forget Tatum was a early commit to the Gators. Wanted him badly. He was only 260 though. Now he's 290 and much stronger

Carvin as a true freshman is already physically mature. Had a great spring.

I think this OL was not as bad as we think. Much like the rest of the roster.

My starting OL goes as:

LT Smith
LG Kennedy
C R Johnson
RG Carvin
RT Richmond

Locklear
Tatum
Are first to rotate.

J Johnson...we'll see.

Reactions: 2 people
I think this OL was not as bad as we think. Much like the rest of the roster.

This is my fervent hope, and a reasonable summary of the majority of my concerns this off-season.

Do we have a team that a good coach can turn into champions? Is the talent at that level? Do we have the lads we need to get back to Tennessee football?

The entire off-season really boils down to two questions. This one, and how well can CJP & Crew coach?

Last edited:
Was Kennedy a solid contributor while he was at bama?

He’s been in Alabama’s program, specifically in their strength and conditioning program, for 3 years. Think he was expected to be 2nd string this year, which automatically makes him better than any OL we have not named Trey Smith imo. Great upgrade that makes our OL situation much better right away.

Last edited:
This is my fervent hope, and a reasonable summary of the majority of my concerns this off-season.

Do we have a team that a good coach can turn into champions? Is the talent at that level? Do we have the lads we need to get back to Tennessee football?

The entire off-season really boils down to two questions. This one, and how well can CJP & Crew coach?

I think we have the best coaching staff in the conference.
Pruitt will eventually be one of the best HCs.

Had we kept Coach G, we really would have been strong.

Helton seems very aggressive in his play calling.
You have to really like the addition of London and Banks in the power game. Chandler and Jordan will see time in the slot and RB.

We have some talent. Not top 4...
But not bottom 5 either in conference

The Grad transfers will really help speed up the development of the football team.

VN Store

Back