Gilliam out with torn ACL

Well, they already looked terrible this past Sunday. From bad to worse.

terrible is a strong word. a young group starting together for the first time against a team that crowded the box and used exotic blitzes only gave up two sacks. And one sack was on Hurd, so they really only gave up one sack as a unit. They did ok. They didn't open many running lanes, but that is hard to do when there are 7 or 8 in the box every play. But yeah they were terrible and will only get worse.

Someone please get me a fainting couch and a fan so that I can faint...I am overwhelmed.

Reactions: 1 person
Oh please. Don't make an argument out of nothing.

Anyone with common sense can look at this situation and determine that our OL, which already struggled with USU's DL, will be even worse now that we lost our starting LT.

Utah State has a good front 7. Its really pretty good. Its just as good as several of the teams on our schedule.

Reactions: 3 people
Oh please. Don't make an argument out of nothing.

Anyone with common sense can look at this situation and determine that our OL, which already struggled with USU's DL, will be even worse now that we lost our starting LT.

but to overreact is using common sense. most teams will not run much when the box is overloaded. they wanted us to throw, so we threw.

Can you explain that for me? TIA

Peyton's freshman year, the starter was Colquitt...against UCLA he came out gangbusters and was driving us down the field...blew his knee!...first series-first game...barely played his whole career...medical redshirt denied...DE from Miami...Rusty Medearis, I believe, played seven years and the last three he'd blow his knee three games into the season...rubber stamped him until he finally refused because he could barely walk anymore...they won't give us a medical redshirt...'s why I named that rule in Jerry's honor.

Reactions: 2 people
The guys behind Jacob are physically better players. Now they just need to get their head in the game. I'm sure CBJ and staff will make sure that happens.

The sky is not falling.

Reactions: 5 people
terrible is a strong word. a young group starting together for the first time against a team that crowded the box and used exotic blitzes only gave up two sacks. And one sack was on Hurd, so they really only gave up one sack as a unit. They did ok. They didn't open many running lanes, but that is hard to do when there are 7 or 8 in the box every play. But yeah they were terrible and will only get worse.

Fair point. They had a lot thrown at them, and they didn't perform well. Hard to say what the rest of the season holds for them at this point.

But this is terrible news. I hope Blair gets his **** together quick.

Because we have absolutely zero depth and we're replacing our starting LT with someone who likely isn't ready to take that position.

Remember when we sucked BECAUSE a former walk-on was the starter?...I think bread was a nickel! :w00t:

Reactions: 3 people
Good news if their is any is that we are playing Arky state and not Ok this week.... Things will be fine

I've questioned his ability to play against SEC caliber athletes but this just sucks. The guy fought tooth and nail to win a scholarship and starting job and finally earns that right and has it taken away in the first game. We really need to push the NCAA hard to grant a 6th year of eligibility for him if that's what he wishes.

Remember when we sucked BECAUSE a former walk-on was the starter?...I think bread was a nickel! :w00t:

So now we have someone that couldn't beat out a walk-on starting. With a dude that couldn't beat out the guy that couldn't beat out a walk-on right behind him!

I'm pulling for Brett Kendrick - local CAK player and I know his family. Talked to his dad yesterday briefly - just long enough to say Brett played well. Hope he can step up and assume the starting role.

Sucks for Gilliam...

So now we have someone that couldn't beat out a walk-on starting. With a dude that couldn't beat out the guy that couldn't beat out a walk-on right behind him!

doesnt mean they are worse players. They are younger and not as old. Doesnt mean they are less talented. Theres a reason Gilliam was a walkon for 4 yrs. I think he was solid and i hope we get him back next yr

The only way I can put some sort of positive spin on this is to say that on most occasions with the system Tennessee runs, a tackle is not as critical as it is in a traditional offensive system.

doesnt mean they are worse players. They are younger and not as old. Doesnt mean they are less talented. Theres a reason Gilliam was a walkon for 4 yrs. I think he was solid and i hope we get him back next yr

Younger and not as old? These two qualities are not things I look for in successful linemen.

The starter was a starter for a reason.

The only way I can put some sort of positive spin on this is to say that on most occasions with the system Tennessee runs, a tackle is not as critical as it is in a traditional offensive system.

deep down you know you love this news. dont pretend.

VN Store

Back