Georgia is the new Alabama ...

I didn't make any statement about Smart being better than Richt. But he's got all the pieces in place, all he has to do is not screw it up. And BTW,
Mark Richt was an OC before he came to town and beat the best team we've ever had with a freshman QB. Head coaching experience is not a
prerequisite to success.

Uh, what? Are you talking about 2001? I think that's a stretch.

Mark Richt was an Offensive Coordinator? No Defensive Coordinator has been a successful power 5 head coach since Bob Stoops in 1999? K. Smart does have a lot of pieces in place but the odds are against him, IMO!!!

His leash will be a lot shorter than M. Richt's was. If he doesn't win an SEC Championship, consistently beat Florida, UT and Georgia Tech, and be in the race for a National Championship he won't be there in 5 years. Not that he couldn't be a good head coach but if he can't do that in the first 5 years he won't get a chance to develop as a head coach, unless it's with another school. Georgia fired a consistent coach, he has to be as consistent or he is a failure.

Last edited:
We have been. They have been to the SEC more than us in past decade and beat us more often than not.

True, but in the end, it's all about national championships. They can keep bragging about their regular season accomplishments all they want. We still have more SEC and national titles than Georgia. And we still lead the all-time series FWIW.

No, I haven't bought into anything. Facts are facts. Smart can recruit with the best of them, he knows how to coach a championship defense,
his OC knows how to move the ball and score points, he's got the best OL coach in the country, and he's got a QB who is already being hailed
as the best QB in the conference... before he takes the first snap.

All Richt ever did well was recruit, but he still had a 10-5 record against UT. Nobody knows what kind of HC Smart will be, but do you know what
the most impressive thing on his resume is..... 4 time All Academic SEC. He's not an idiot, and the probability of his success is a lot bigger than
you guys give him credit for.

True, but Richt also knew how to recruit and knew how to coach a championship offense (having won 2 NCs while OC with FSU).

Like Richt, Smart has the credentials, but his actual coaching abilities as a HC are still a complete unknown at this point.

I'm not willing to say Smart will fail at UGA, but I'm also not going to say he is guaranteed to turn UGA into the new Bama either.

Uh, what? Are you talking about 2001? I think that's a stretch.

2001 is exactly what I'm saying. That was the best squad UT ever fielded, and the former OC Richt
marched into Neyland and whipped the Vols with a freshman QB. Now, whats a "stretch about that?"

True, but Richt also knew how to recruit and knew how to coach a championship offense (having won 2 NCs while OC with FSU).

Like Richt, Smart has the credentials, but his actual coaching abilities as a HC are still a complete unknown at this point.

I'm not willing to say Smart will fail at UGA, but I'm also not going to say he is guaranteed to turn UGA into the new Bama either.

All reason and rationale has flown out the window with this topic. I have never said "Georgia is the new Bama." My point is that all the
people writing Georgia off simply because they have a new HC that has never filled the position before should maybe take a wait and
see attitude before they potentially become the brunt of jokes on VN when Smart proves them all wrong. And the probability of
that happening is higher than any of us want to admit.

2001 is exactly what I'm saying. That was the best squad UT ever fielded, and the former OC Richt
marched into Neyland and whipped the Vols with a freshman QB. Now, whats a "stretch about that?"

Whipped is a major stretch. It was a two point win in the final minutes. "Pulled it out of their azz" would be more accurate.

All reason and rationale has flown out the window with this topic. I have never said "Georgia is the new Bama." My point is that all the
people writing Georgia off simply because they have a new HC that has never filled the position before should maybe take a wait and
see attitude before they potentially become the brunt of jokes on VN when Smart proves them all wrong. And the probability of
that happening is higher than any of us want to admit.

All I am saying is the odds are against Smart, just based on coordinators to HC percentage, It is a lot harder for DC than it is for OC in the past years to be successful as HC. There is really no data that supports the claim that he will be successful as a HC. Its closer to 50-50 than you are giving it credit for.

K. SMART may be a great coach someday but there are no odds claiming he will be for sure, at least not right now.

Not to say that K. Smart is as bad as W. Muschamp but Muschamp had all the pieces in place at one of the top 3 programs in the country. He had every opportunity to be successful but wasn't. He had just as much in place as Smart does and a better recruiting area in Florida, but Georgia is very close.

I would have said that WM was as good a DC as KS, Smart just coached with a better HC in Saban. So there are no guarantees i could coach Florida to 8 wins a year with what WM had, but yet he failed. The point is that no one is a guaranteed success even if all the pieces seem to be in line for them. SMart may prove this wrong, but there isn't any better odds than WM had at Florida.

All I am saying is the odds are against Smart, just based on coordinators to HC percentage, It is a lot harder for DC than it is for OC in the past years to be successful as HC. There is really no data that supports the claim that he will be successful as a HC. Its closer to 50-50 than you are giving it credit for.

3 of the 4 teams in the 2015 college football playoff:

Alabama - Nick Saban - DC
Oklahoma - Bob Stoops - DC
Michigan St. - Mark Dantonio - DC

In case you haven't looked in your own east backyard:

Georgia - Kirby Smart - DC
USC - Will Muschamp - DC
Mizzou - Barry Odom - DC
Vandy - Derek Mason - DC
Kentuck - Mark Stoops - DC

There is nothing Georgia as a program can't accomplish as long as they have the right coach. We'll see if Smart is that guy.

Alabama - Nick Saban - DC
Oklahoma - Bob Stoops - DC
Michigan St. - Mark Dantonio - DC

USC - Will Muschamp - DC
Mizzou - Barry Odom - DC
Vandy - Derek Mason - DC

The first three I'll give you to an extent.

The last five, two have never coached a game as head coach. Two don't have winning records and we all know what Muschamp did to the Florida program.

The first three I'll give you to an extent.

The last five, two have never coached a game as head coach. Two don't have winning records and we all know what Muschamp did to the Florida program.

To what extent? It either happened or it didn't.

The east just shows plenty of power 5 teams are looking for DCs to be HCs. Besides, McElwain and Jones haven't overwhelmed the conference either.

To what extent? It either happened or it didn't.

The east just shows plenty of power 5 teams are looking for DCs to be HCs. Besides, McElwain and Jones haven't overwhelmed the conference either.

To what extent? You of all people should be careful of tossing Big Game Bob and Dantonio in the same realm as Saban. While the win/loss records might be close, they still are way behind on championships.

To what extent? You of all people should be careful of tossing Big Game Bob and Dantonio in the same realm as Saban. While the win/loss records might be close, they still are way behind on championships.

I wasn't comparing anyone to the best coach in college football. Projecting Smart to be less successful because he is a DC is ridiculous.

Actually, those aren't good numbers for a state as talented as Georgia. Smart already has a top 5 class (based on quality, NOT quantity), and will likely finish there or higher this year. Georgia will look a lot more like they should under Smart. A top five team in recruiting, and on the field.

Muschamp had perenial top 5 recruiting classes and got fired.

There's no guarantee Smart performs much better.

Muschamp made the mistake of hiring the wrong OC. And then compounded that mistake by hiring an even worse OC after that. But, the remnants of his defensive recruiting is what's still keepin Florida relevant this year.

Now, when Georgia has a good run of in-state recruiting, it typically hurts Tennessee (unlike when Florida recruits the state of Florida well, which generally has no bearing on UT). Fulmer was recruiting Georgia well during the mid-90's. Enter Jim Donnan. He started keeping us out of the cookie jar so to speak. Couple that with Auburn's success recruiting Georgia under Tubbs, and thus began the rise of Georgia in 2001(with Auburn thereafter) and the eventual decline of Tennessee.

The threat Smart poses is on the recruiting trail more than the football field. Georgia is right there with Carolina as our most important state for talent mining. IF, I repeat IF, CKS can lock us out of Georgia it will be quite detrimental to us. And if this recruiting start is any indication of what's to come then it could be trouble on Rocky Top. Gibbs recruitment is one that I'm watching closely, along with the receiver (Holliman?)

Kirby could flop, or hit it big. No one knows. But I ain't prepared to dismiss him just yet. And to me it is very clear what recruiting the state of Georgia means to our football history.

Alabama - Nick Saban - DC granted
Oklahoma - Bob Stoops - DC good overall
Michigan St. - Mark Dantonio - DC didn't belong in the playoffs. any of the replacements would have OCs

Georgia - Kirby Smart - DC hasn't coached
USC - Will Muschamp - DC did a terrific job at Florida, so good infact that they had to fire him because they couldn't pay him enough, lol
Mizzou - Barry Odom - DC hasn't coached
Vandy - Derek Mason - DC lol
Kentuck - Mark Stoops - DCnot quite as lol but still funny

I wouldn't use the SECE's coaches as any proof. look at two of three favorites. UT and UF are both OCs, and UGA was built by an OC. the bottom feeders are ALL DCs.

I wouldn't use the SECE's coaches as any proof. look at two of three favorites. UT and UF are both OCs, and UGA was built by an OC. the bottom feeders are ALL DCs.

Proof of what? A lot of east universities believe hiring DCs is good business, as do many power 5 teams. The 4 playoff teams are plenty of evidence it is well founded. Kirby Smart is in the same SEC pickle jar as Butch Jones. The next time they win the east and SECC will be their first time.

There is nothing Georgia as a program can't accomplish as long as they have the right coach. We'll see if Smart is that guy.

Completely, I would have said the same about W. Muschamp at Florida. WM Had a lot better roster at Florida than Smart has at Georgia. The leashes are much shorter these days, If Smart can't consistently beat Florida, Tennessee, Auburn and atleast compete for an SEC Championship in 4-5 years he will not be the coach at Georgia very long.

Matching what M. Richt did won't be good enough, if all he can do is match M.Richt (which is a good coach) he'll still be a failure for Georgia because they already had a good coach and didn't upgrade in K. Smart!!! He has to be better than M. Richt, which isn't an easy task for a first time head coach on a short leash!!!

Proof of what? A lot of east universities believe hiring DCs is good business, as do many power 5 teams. The 4 playoff teams are plenty of evidence it is well founded. Kirby Smart is in the same SEC pickle jar as Butch Jones. The next time they win the east and SECC will be their first time.

Who was the last DC turned head coach not named Saban to win a National Championship.....Bob Stoops in 2000? Saban is a different Breed and he hasn't been that great at recreating his success in others. FYI Saban only won a National Championship in his 8th or 9th year as a Head Coach, K. Smarty won't get that much of a learning curve.

K. Smart may be a good coach someday but I don't believe it will be fast enough to keep his job at Georgia. He won't get 4 years at the middle of the SECE. Without an SECE/SEC championship he won't be there in 5 years!!! JMO

Who was the last DC turned head coach not named Saban to win a National Championship.....Bob Stoops in 2000? Saban is a different Breed and he hasn't been that great at recreating his success in others. FYI Saban only won a National Championship in his 8th or 9th year as a Head Coach, K. Smarty won't get that much of a learning curve.

K. Smart may be a good coach someday but I don't believe it will be fast enough to keep his job at Georgia. He won't get 4 years at the middle of the SECE. Without an SECE/SEC championship he won't be there in 5 years!!! JMO

Pete Caroll 2003, 2004
Gene Chizik 2010

In case you haven't looked in your own east backyard:[/B]

USC - Will Muschamp - DC
Mizzou - Barry Odom - DC
Vandy - Derek Mason - DC

What's the point of this? We beat every single one of those teams last year. Fully expect the Vols to do it again in 2016, too.

Last edited:

Ever think that's why they suck? Do you think any of those teams make a bowl (besides UGA, of course)?

you think Muschamp 1.0 or 2.0 is going to be a good hire?

It would have been entertaining if I wasn't a Vol fan to see Dooley go vs Mason. dude has no idea what he is doing.

Odom? we will see but he is in a terrible situation to start I doubt he will do anything.

Stoops? quick out of the gate then trips and falls on his face.

I wouldn't consider any of those good hires or good for business.

Smart is at a school where you should sleep walk to 8-9 wins. competent (Richt) gets you 10-11.

Strong at Texas has been laughable.
Dantonio looks good for coaching in a weak conference but would look pedestrian in the SEC.
Patterson and Shoop have been good in the defense optional conference.
Shaw is a great coach at Stanford but I don't know the other coaches well enough if there are any others.
does the ACC have one? One of the small schools might. Pitt I guess, nothing there.

point being if you were told you were going to hire a random coordinator your odds would be better picking from the OCs than DCs.

and your claims for the playoffs only works for this one year (of the two so not a good body to pull from). year one was 3 OCs vs 1 DC, and an OC won it. Way too soon to use the playoff teams as a barometer.

You bought into the hype already? He hasn't coached a game yet... Give me 5 games or less for me to make a decision..lord knows they have the talent in the state.. Hopefully he's a career assistant

Right. So hes basically recruiting at the same rate as Richt, but he can coach better than Richt with no body of work. Do they realize Cheney is the OC?

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back