Georgia is the new Alabama ...

Losing Sony Michel is going hurt UGA's chances this year. Plus Chubb was a great back but I am not sure he is going to be the same after his knee injury.

Losing Sony Michel is going hurt UGA's chances this year. Plus Chubb was a great back but I am not sure he is going to be the same after his knee injury.

Not sure how true, but a guy at work said Sony wasn't gonna miss a game. That's not the last I heard on the news, but he swears it.

And they say we need to pump the brakes on the Tennessee Hype? This is ridiculous, Kirby Smart hasn't even coached a game yet. It will be hard to duplicate what Mark Richt did, who can even think about surpassing it right now with a first year coach. Kirby Smart may be a great coach(I don't think he will be a top 5 coach in the SEC in the next 5 years) but this is a way too early to call. Georgia is a national underachiever, not sure what gives anyone the idea that Kirby Smart will be a better coach than Mark Richt?

Reactions: 1 person
And they say we need to pump the brakes on the Tennessee Hype? This is ridiculous, Kirby Smart hasn't even coached a game yet. It will be hard to duplicate what Mark Richt did, who can even think about surpassing it right now with a first year coach. Kirby Smart may be a great coach(I don't think he will be a top 5 coach in the SEC in the next 5 years) but this is a way too early to call. Georgia is a national underachiever, not sure what gives anyone the idea that Kirby Smart will be a better coach than Mark Richt?

They also say how terrible Tennessee is/was when we have a more recent national championship.

Some of you guys are in for a rude awakening.

You bought into the hype already? He hasn't coached a game yet... Give me 5 games or less for me to make a decision..lord knows they have the talent in the state.. Hopefully he's a career assistant

Georgia isn't going to be a powerhouse, no more than they were with Mark Richt. Kirby Smart will be fired in 5 years, if it takes that long.

Many coaching qualities endeared Smart to Saban these many years. He can recruit, he's smarts, organized, and he can recruit. Did I mention, he can recruit?

Teams with the best talent each year, seldom go away.

Some of you guys are in for a rude awakening.

WHat could possible make you think that that K. Smart is going to do better than M. Richt? He has zero head coaching experience....ZERO!!! It would be hard for any Experienced coach to replicate what M. Richt did, let alone an 1st time head coach.

He may be a diamond in the rough but to think it is a given that he is going to be good is ridiculous.

I usually respect your opinion but this one is a little far fetched at best. there is no indication that K.Smart will be successful, anymore than Dooley was. Atleast Dooley had head coaching experience. And we all know how that ended...

Many coaching qualities endeared Smart to Saban these many years. He can recruit, he's smarts, organized, and he can recruit. Did I mention, he can recruit?

Teams with the best talent each year, seldom go away.

M. Richt recruited well...so what is the point. I believe that Smart's leash will be shorter than Richt's. He won't get more than 5 years if they don't win an SEC Championship and possibly at least compete for a National Championship. Anything less than that is a failure for Georgia, if he can't win championships they should have kept M. Richt who won 10 games a year, that is the best that Smart will achieve in my opinion.

He will at maximum achieve equality with m. Richt, nothing more and that would be a failure for Georgia!!!

M. Richt recruited well...so what is the point. I believe that Smart's leash will be shorter than Richt's. He won't get more than 5 years if they don't win an SEC Championship and possibly at least compete for a National Championship. Anything less than that is a failure for Georgia, if he can't win championships they should have kept M. Richt who won 10 games a year, that is the best that Smart will achieve in my opinion.

He will at maximum achieve equality with m. Richt, nothing more and that would be a failure for Georgia!!!

The point is if you want to project NC teams go see who can recruit on an elite level. The rest of your verbal nonsense is simply hoping for the best for Tenn. Don't blame you.

Right didn't recruit well. That was his problem. He routinely let the best players leave Georgia. Just in the last five years (referenced in the linked articles), there is an all-star team of players who left Georgia that ended up playing elsewhere in the SEC, ACC & Ohio State. That is Kirby Smart's charge. Keep the best jawja boys @ home. And if he does it well enough, the wins will follow.

WHat could possible make you think that that K. Smart is going to do better than M. Richt? He has zero head coaching experience....ZERO!!! It would be hard for any Experienced coach to replicate what M. Richt did, let alone an 1st time head coach.

He may be a diamond in the rough but to think it is a given that he is going to be good is ridiculous.

I usually respect your opinion but this one is a little far fetched at best. there is no indication that K.Smart will be successful, anymore than Dooley was. Atleast Dooley had head coaching experience. And we all know how that ended...

Richt also had zero HC experience before Georgia.

Right didn't recruit well. That was his problem. He routinely let the best players leave Georgia. Just in the last five years (referenced in the linked articles), there is an all-star team of players who left Georgia that ended up playing elsewhere in the SEC, ACC & Ohio State. That is Kirby Smart's charge. Keep the best jawja boys @ home. And if he does it well enough, the wins will follow.

Georgia has a lot of talent, Richt got plenty of it from Georgia. But he always had a top 12 class or better.

According to 23/7 composite class rankings:
2011=#6
2012=#8
2013= #12
2014=#8
2015=#5
2016=#8 (Which Mark Richt Recruited most of the class)

What part of that says that he couldn't recruit???

The point is if you want to project NC teams go see who can recruit on an elite level. The rest of your verbal nonsense is simply hoping for the best for Tenn. Don't blame you.

Mark Richt did recruit at a very high level, and he didn't win NC....So what is your point.

If Smart can only duplicate what Richt did, he'll be a good coach, but that is still a failure for Georgia because it isn't an upgrade to M. Richt!!!!!

Mark Richt did recruit at a very high level, and he didn't win NC....So what is your point.

If Smart can only duplicate what Richt did, he'll be a good coach, but that is still a failure for Georgia because it isn't an upgrade to M. Richt!!!!!

And you projecting, it won't happen, just because, doesn't make it so. Smart will soon have gathered a top 5 class to go with his top 8 showing the last recruiting cycle. Get used to it. And save me the comeback drivel about how Kirby will coach like Richt. I'd look a little further west for that comparison. Just because we're all a product of our environment.

Can't say if Smart will be a good coach or not. Just because it's his first year doesn't mean he has to start at the bottom. If I had to guess, I'd say their defense probably stays around the same, maybe gets better, but that their offense gets worse. They will be an overall same/ slightly weaker team than last year imo.

Georgia has a lot of talent, Richt got plenty of it from Georgia. But he always had a top 12 class or better.

According to 24/7 composite class rankings:
2011=#6
2012=#8
2013= #12
2014=#8
2015=#5
2016=#8 (Which Mark Richt Recruited most of the class)

What part of that says that he couldn't recruit???
Actually, those aren't good numbers for a state as talented as Georgia. Smart already has a top 5 class (based on quality, NOT quantity), and will likely finish there or higher this year. Georgia will look a lot more like they should under Smart. A top five team in recruiting, and on the field.

You bought into the hype already? He hasn't coached a game yet... Give me 5 games or less for me to make a decision..lord knows they have the talent in the state.. Hopefully he's a career assistant

No, I haven't bought into anything. Facts are facts. Smart can recruit with the best of them, he knows how to coach a championship defense,
his OC knows how to move the ball and score points, he's got the best OL coach in the country, and he's got a QB who is already being hailed
as the best QB in the conference... before he takes the first snap.

All Richt ever did well was recruit, but he still had a 10-5 record against UT. Nobody knows what kind of HC Smart will be, but do you know what
the most impressive thing on his resume is..... 4 time All Academic SEC. He's not an idiot, and the probability of his success is a lot bigger than
you guys give him credit for.

I didn't make any statement about Smart being better than Richt. But he's got all the pieces in place, all he has to do is not screw it up. And BTW,
Mark Richt was an OC before he came to town and beat the best team we've ever had with a freshman QB. Head coaching experience is not a
prerequisite to success.

No, I haven't bought into anything. Facts are facts. Smart can recruit with the best of them, he knows how to coach a championship defense,
his OC knows how to move the ball and score points, he's got the best OL coach in the country, and he's got a QB who is already being hailed
as the best QB in the conference... before he takes the first snap.

All Richt ever did well was recruit, but he still had a 10-5 record against UT. Nobody knows what kind of HC Smart will be, but do you know what
the most impressive thing on his resume is..... 4 time All Academic SEC. He's not an idiot, and the probability of his success is a lot bigger than
you guys give him credit for.

The success rate of former DCs as HCs is not in his favor. Who knows? Maybe he'll be one of the few like Stoops and Dantonio. Either way, I fully expect UT to beat UGA in Athens this year.

I didn't make any statement about Smart being better than Richt. But he's got all the pieces in place, all he has to do is not screw it up. And BTW,
Mark Richt was an OC before he came to town and beat the best team we've ever had with a freshman QB. Head coaching experience is not a
prerequisite to success.

I am just saying that for K.Smart to be a successful hire for Georgia, he has to be more successful than Richt. Or else you didn't upgrade and lost however many years that Smart is there, because you could have had Richt doing the same thing.

VN Store

Back