General Neyland vs Bear Byrant

Both truly and historically great coaches. But to decide which of them is better, you can only measure it one way: head to head results. And that proves it decisively, at 5-0 (with 2 ties). Bear Bryant carried General Neyland's hat for him.

Reactions: 1 person
Both truly and historically great coaches. But to decide which of them is better, you can only measure it one way: head to head results. And that proves it decisively, at 5-0 (with 2 ties). Bear Bryant carried General Neyland's hat for him.

So Derek Dooley > Butch Jones?

That's definitely not true. I love Butch Jones but he's not a better coach than Steve Spurrier. Maybe one day he will be, but he's gonna need to go on a hell of a run.

So Derek Dooley > Butch Jones?

When they get to 7 head-to-head meetings, let's check it out. Heck, we can probably decide with just 4 or 5 matchups. :)

That's definitely not true. I love Butch Jones but he's not a better coach than Steve Spurrier. Maybe one day he will be, but he's gonna need to go on a hell of a run.

Sure, it might be true. Butch may already be a better coach than Steve...but I agree it's a little premature. Let's check again after they've met a few more times. :good!:

Last edited:
This sentence doesn't make any sense. I would respond but I'm not sure to what I'd be responding.

You were claiming that Neyland's winning percentage was less because his early wins were in the Southern Conference. That is irrelevant. Alabama was in the Southern Conference also. But I can easily see why that may be a mystery to you.

You forgot the blue font.

OK silly which one do you contest? 38, 40, 50, 51, or 98. I'll give you 67 but all the others have rather legitimate claims to them.

For the record I find your 25, 26, 30, 34, and 41 titles malarky. 73 and 78 are questionable too. That's 5-7 that seem shady.

Doesn't matter which yardstick you use, The same coach holds the advantage. I've heard bammer Paul and a couple of others try the "Well if you look at it with your head tilted to the left.... and through a prism, you can...." I really don't care how anyone spins it, the numbers remain.

WTS, Bryant was still a hell of a coach and any team would have been lucky to have him. The Bama fanatics just need to realize how many records they actually hold and stop with all these made up ones.

You were claiming that Neyland's winning percentage was less because his early wins were in the Southern Conference. That is irrelevant. Alabama was in the Southern Conference also. But I can easily see why that may be a mystery to you.

What does that have to do with a Bryant-Neyland coaching comparison? Bryant was still playing in college when the SoCon/SEC split happened.

OK silly which one do you contest? 38, 40, 50, 51, or 98. I'll give you 67 but all the others have rather legitimate claims to them.

'40 is totally bogus, and no one credits it to UT other than UT.

For the record I find your 25, 26, 30, 34, and 41 titles malarky. 73 and 78 are questionable too. That's 5-7 that seem shady.

Explain your reasoning and I will apply it to UT's claims.

Last edited:
What about SEC and National Championships? Which coach holds the advantage there?

Just let it go man. Don't know why you Bama fans feel the need to proclaim awards that weren't there (speaking of nattys) but Neyland just bested Bryant plain and simple.
Not once, not twice but repeatedly. Judge the nattys any way you wish but when you don't win as many games - number or percentage- and lose to the coach who won more games than you, that's a hell of a way to proclaim "winner"!

Reactions: 2 people
Just let it go man. Don't know why you Bama fans feel the need to proclaim awards that weren't there (speaking of nattys) but Neyland just bested Bryant plain and simple.
Not once, not twice but repeatedly. Judge the nattys any way you wish but when you don't win as many games - number or percentage- and lose to the coach who won more games than you, that's a hell of a way to proclaim "winner"!

You say this as if you're comparing UT & Bama. You're not. Neyland and Bryant never coached against each other as UT and Bama coaches.

Bottom line is both are elite coaches.

You say this as if you're comparing UT & Bama. You're not. Neyland and Bryant never coached against each other as UT and Bama coaches.

Bottom line is both are elite coaches.

I have no idea what you are talking about. The discussion was Bryant v Neyland and that is what I referenced. I said "Bama fans" because they always lead the way in suggesting that we ignore head to head and # of wins.

I also gave Bryant much credit above, now show me an example of what you accused me of.

Last edited:

I proclaim "winner" because there is no objective observer, anyone without a bias toward either team, who holds Neyland in more esteem than Bryant. It simply is what it is. You act like head-to-head while one coach was ending his career vs another who was just getting started tells the whole story.

And I bolded part of your statement that you need to rethink.

But those head to head wins have nothing to do with UT vs. Bama. Yes, Neyland beat Bryant in every head to head match-up. That's more of a Maryland or UK conversation.

Should Butch go on to string off natty after natty, we're certainly not going to listen to fans from Akron talk about how Akron took UC to school. One has nothing to do with the other.

Neyland's record speaks for itself as does Bryant's. Both were elite coaches.

I proclaim "winner" because there is no objective observer, anyone without a bias toward either team, who holds Neyland in more esteem than Bryant. It simply is what it is. You act like head-to-head while one coach was ending his career vs another who was just getting started tells the whole story.

And I bolded part of your statement that you need to rethink.

Seven years is a lotta years for "just getting started." You'd a thunk that if ole Bear was all that and a pack of gum, too, he'd have figured out how to beat the old has-been General at least once in all those seven years. ;)

There's only one "best", and in the SEC in that time period, it was a man named Neyland. Who knows, maybe no one today would know who Bear Bryant was if the General had stayed on as coach another ten years, dominating the league.... :salute:

Last edited:

VN Store

Back