General Neyland vs Bear Byrant

FROM BEAR BRYANT'S BOOK

Bear personally set the record straight...

"Everyone thinks I'm the best damn coach in the country. But (Neyland) taught me everything I know."In seven attempts, Bear Bryant never defeated General Neyland."I never beat him," he said, "but I learned a lot from playing him."At General Neyland's retirement banquet, Bryant muttered "thank God the old guy finally quit."

from 'The Last Coach: A Life of Paul "Bear" Bryant'

My new sig

A lot of people say "Well the Bear was coaching at Kentucky of course he lost to Neyland!" But they fail to realize that Kentucky was actually good during those years

This thread should be brought up during UK week, not Bama week.

Holy thread resurrection Batman.

Happens every year during Bama week even thought Bryant never coached against Neyland while at Bama.

FROM BEAR BRYANT'S BOOK

Bear personally set the record straight...

"Everyone thinks I'm the best damn coach in the country. But (Neyland) taught me everything I know."In seven attempts, Bear Bryant never defeated General Neyland."I never beat him," he said, "but I learned a lot from playing him."At General Neyland's retirement banquet, Bryant muttered "thank God the old guy finally quit."

from 'The Last Coach: A Life of Paul "Bear" Bryant'

I'm looking for where I can find this quote somewhere besides a TN website so I can rub it in a Co-workers face lol Or atleast where in the book it it.

Neyland is the only coach in NCAA history to win Bowl Championships, Conference Championships, National Championships, and a World War. He beat everyone from Bryant to Vaught to Mussolini to Hitler.

Half of his total games were shut out victories. Only reason he is not remembered as the greatest coach in SEC history is because he had to take time out to win WWII.

Neyland is arguably the greatest coach in SEC history

Reactions: 11 people
I'm looking for where I can find this quote somewhere besides a TN website so I can rub it in a Co-workers face lol Or atleast where in the book it it.

It's not in the book. The quote is made up by internet folks.

th

None better than Our Coach Neyland!!!

th

The truth is, both Neyland and Bryant were two of the best football coaches to ever coach in the SEC.

Should Sabin be included in the conversation now?

The truth is, both Neyland and Bryant were two of the best football coaches to ever coach in the SEC.

Give it time. What I mean by that is that both Bear and the General had over 20 years tenure when they retired. It is yet to be seen as to whether Saban has the staying power of the other giants. He might do it, or he might lose his stature. We shall see.

Many in Fulmer's heyday were hoping he was a giant in the making who might fill the shoes of Neyland. It was not to be, but I am a patient man. Someone will fill those shoes.

Saban's record look very similar to Bryant's during Bama's heyday of the 60's & 70's. There are a lot of one-loss type seasons for each.

I would say so given the climate of the SEC & college football.

Neyland is the only coach in NCAA history to win Bowl Championships, Conference Championships, National Championships, and a World War. He beat everyone from Bryant to Vaught to Mussolini to Hitler.

Hideki Tojo especially received a beat down from RRN

This info taken from wiki pages of each coach and done hurriedly. Check the math:

Coach Overall Record SEC Record
Neyland 173-31-12 (.828) 103-17-10 (.830)
Bryant 323-85-17 (.780) 160-46-9 (.765)
Saban 177-59-1 (.749) 78-23 (.772)
Spurrier 226-85-2 (.725) 131-48 (.732)

Neyland won four National titles and 7 SEC titles.
Bryant won 6 National titles and 13 SEC
Saban has won 4 national titles and 5 SEC
Spurrier has won one National title and 6 SEC titles.

There's the facts, make 'em say what you want.

Please note, in computing winning percentages, ties counted as 1/2 a win.

Last edited:
This info taken from wiki pages of each coach and done hurriedly. Check the math:

Coach Overall Record SEC Record
Neyland 173-31-12 (.828) 103-17-10 (.830)
Bryant 323-85-17 (.780) 160-46-9 (.765)
Saban 177-59-1 (.749) 78-23 (.772)
Spurrier 226-85-2 (.725) 131-48 (.732)

I did check your math, and you have some problems in the third column. You included Neyland's record in the SoCon.

Neyland's SEC record is:

Neyland 62-15-5 (.787)

And he has 5 SEC titles. Though, admittedly, he would have had a sixth in 1950 if it weren't for UK playing an extra conference game.

Last edited:
Thanks for the correction. Still puzzled at how the SEC would allow teams to schedule an extra Conference game and then award the championship based on having a higher winning pct only because they played one more game. In 1950, UT beat UK head to head but since both had one loss. Gave UK the title because of an extra game.

To add to his accolades, Neyland holds the record for most wins in Tennessee Vols history with 173 wins in 216 games, six undefeated seasons and nine undefeated regular seasons. He reeled off undefeated streaks of 33, 28, 23, 19, and 14 games.

Thanks for the correction. Still puzzled at how the SEC would allow teams to schedule an extra Conference game and then award the championship based on having a higher winning pct only because they played one more game.

The idea of athletic conferences was very different until the mid- to late-50s. The conference didn't actually make schedules, the teams did. So teams could schedule as many conference opponents as they liked, and doing so could make the difference in who won the title. It's also why teams in the same conference could go for decades without playing each other.

We have one debatable one that we claim and if we would used Bama standards we would claim 15. No joke 15.

Any standard that would remove "half" of Bama's titles (taking us to 7 or 8) would kill at least 4 if applied to Tennessee's claim. "No joke" there.

And Tennessee only has one nationally published title they don't claim (1956). Bama has 4 (1945, '66, '75, and '77).

This again? Let's jump to the end. bama claims a ton of titles they shouldn't. Tennessee's claims are largely uncontested. In the end bama probably still has more, but we still hate them so they can suck it. Screw the tide.

Reactions: 2 people
I did check your math, and you have some problems in the third column. You included Neyland's record in the SoCon.

Neyland's SEC record is:

Neyland 62-15-5 (.787)

And he has 5 SEC titles. Though, admittedly, he would have had a sixth in 1950 if it weren't for UK playing an extra conference game.

Still a better record than the Bear's since Alabama was in that conference as well at that time.

VN Store

Back