Gary Danielson: "Vols Are Soft"; Pruitt Perfect Hire

It's classic how the last few months have unveiled what a total joke we were with Butch Jones, and how frustrating it was to see all of the clueless TN fans who continued to support him throughout last fall.

I supported Derek Dooley until the end, I supported Butch Jones until the end. Because as a lifelong Tennessee fan I hope Tennessee wins every damn game they play in period, no matter who the coach is. If you aren’t supporting whoever the coach is at Tennessee and hoping he wins every game he coaches then you are not a Tennessee fan. There will be plenty of room for you to jump on the Alabama band wagon when Pruitt gets his 1st loss.

Reactions: 3 people
I supported Derek Dooley until the end, I supported Butch Jones until the end. Because as a lifelong Tennessee fan I hope Tennessee wins every damn game they play in period, no matter who the coach is. If you aren’t supporting whoever the coach is at Tennessee and hoping he wins every game he coaches then you are not a Tennessee fan. There will be plenty of room for you to jump on the Alabama band wagon when Pruitt gets his 1st loss.

Yikes. Learn to think for yourself man.

Reactions: 1 person

This is just straight up stupid

Reactions: 4 people
All we really need to do is beat 2 team besides ETSU, UTEP and Charlotte which are all three pretty much guaranteed cupcake wins. Then at minimum we can say that based on our win-loss record there was Improvement. I believe that we can accomplish that. So, I believe that there is good reason for optimism with what appears to be a much better coaching staff and a lot of talent that hadn't been developed before that soon will be.

My suspicions about Jones began in 2015 when he blew all the games. He kept making mistakes that were silly such as not going for two against Florida because that is what the chart said to do IIRC and never learning from his mistakes. The game that solidified my thinking that Jones was not going to cut it was the South Carolina game. It seemed like Tennessee was about to blow another one. It was not so much Tennessee's playing that caused them to win, it was more of a case of South Carolina shooting themselves in the foot. This was the same South Carolina team that had struggled all year, had their coach resign mid-season, and would lose 8 games in 2015 including one to the Citadel. Had it not been for the close loss to Bama I think Jones would have ended 2015 with his seat a tad bit warm.

Honestly, I think that was one of the things about Jones was that he was able to avoid the hot-seat longer than he should have. After the Florida and Arkansas loses, Jones should have been on the hot-seat. However, nearly beating Bama helped him. Then after the Appalachian State fiasco and how sloppy the Battle of Bristol began he should have been on the hot seat as well. However, Tennessee had a long winning streak, had finally beaten Florida, and was a top-10 team. It took the South Carolina loss for him to be on the hot seat. Even then, 2016 ended his seat was hot, but not hot enough to fire.

Even our resident gator fan could see there was something amiss.
From that thread:
Originally Posted by lawgator1 View Post
"I really am shocked by both. And those aren't things you fix during the season. So much athleticism, but disorganized. No confidence. And unable to perpetuate a drive against a team you dominate physically. Really odd."

And really, that describes the CBJ era, you could see he was failing. And then there was the 9-4 was not a disappointment talk. We should have had a much better record that year. We had so much talent wasted during the CBJ years. I am cautiously optimistic with having Fulmer as AD and Pruitt as coach. This year will say a lot. I don't expect world beaters, but we do have some talent, better than 4-8 talent, let's just say that.

Don’t see how anyone backed him end of last 2 seasons maybe 3 honestly

I totally agree. The end of 2015 season with a loss to Vandy was tough to stomach coupled with the earlier UF loss and anybody that has been around football saw significant problems, but we played Bama tough per Bama, there was reason to think we needed to tweak things not use a meat cleaver. 2016 season, 5-0 beating both UF and UGA, seemed to look like we turned a corner and then we fell completely apart. Anybody with one eye and half sense by end of season knew BJ was on his way out the door and a meat clever was necessary to fix things. 2017 season, just historically bad football by UT and it could all be laid at BJ's feet. Looking back and hearing what we know now, many other coaches would have had us contending for the NC with that 2015 team by that season's end IMO.

It's classic how the last few months have unveiled what a total joke we were with Butch Jones, and how frustrating it was to see all of the clueless TN fans who continued to support him throughout last fall.

All that frustration gone to waste. Things happened on their own. :cool2:

Reactions: 2 people
I totally agree. The end of 2015 season with a loss to Vandy was tough to stomach coupled with the earlier UF loss and anybody that has been around football saw significant problems, but we played Bama tough per Bama, there was reason to think we needed to tweak things not use a meat cleaver. 2016 season, 5-0 beating both UF and UGA, seemed to look like we turned a corner and then we fell completely apart. Anybody with one eye and half sense by end of season knew BJ was on his way out the door and a meat clever was necessary to fix things. 2017 season, just historically bad football by UT and it could all be laid at BJ's feet. Looking back and hearing what we know now, many other coaches would have had us contending for the NC with that 2015 team by that season's end IMO.

Didn’t lose to Vandy in 2015.

or first and goal with 1:20 left at Florida last year and throw 3 straight times after running it thru them the last 2 drives...only to leave enough time on the clock for them to beat your ass.......

That's the series that turned me around. I was the Butch supporter. Until THAT series from the 1 yard line! We had the game & momentum. We still might have lost the game, but we'll never know now. What a total idiot he turned out to be. Let him continue to wash Saban's cars. Glad he found a job he's qualified for.

I'm not sure how many are getting "carried away" w/ new crew. Been burned too many times, and I have cautious optimism, because everything really "sounds different", and structurally, we've finally cleared out a lot of nonsense w/ Fulmer coming in, along w/ a staff that's all about football, leaving the fluff stuff behind. You know Pruitt has plenty of bulletin board material for summer and fall workouts, coming out of media days. Doesn't mean we're going to be successful, but it does feel different, to me.

This bulletin board stuff does not seem to be much of a focus for Pruitt as I read him. To me bulletin board crap is high school. College is men doing a job, this is the way I think Pruitt sees it also. He, like Fulmer, seems to be no nonsense and hard man type work, not kids having fun. The fun come after the hard work brings success. Much like having a beer and a good time after a hard day at work for us non playing guys.

You have to balance feelings about a present coach with our experiences with coaching searches to understand how so many fans have the 'support your coach til you absolutely can't stand him no more', approach.

Yeah, clueless people supporting their active head coach and team. Bunch of bonehead dummies.

Just for the record it is possible to support someone and simultaneously realize that their professional relationship with your school is falling apart and not far from ending. Its not that hard.

Not related to this article but in general, these clowns write articles based on small shreds of information and coaches will tell you they are 90% made up. This is what happens when you are required to write an article a day instead of reporting pertinent news stories.

Yeah that Appy game, that’s when reality set in for me that we had a mid major coach at best.

You know, I thought we were having problems, too. But, people who are obviously more knowledgeable than me were saying that Butch wasn't "opening up the playbook". Theoretically, to save some surprises for more challenging teams later on. To me, they looked like they hadn't been practicing.

*cue the pic of the D line/linebackers last year. That was atrocious, for the most part. I tried to find it but could come up with anything

I'm not aware of any of these people.

Butch was on the hot seat before the season started, and he was basically a lame duck coach after the Georgia game. It was such an obvious point he needed to be fired after that game that it quit even being a topic of debate.

VN Store

Back