Game thread: NCAA Second Round: No. 6 Seed Lady Vols vs. No. 3 Seed NC State

Old Dominion? Old Dominion, the program that hasn't gone to the NCAA tournament in 16 years? Or Louisiana Tech, the program that hasn't gone to the NCAA tournament in 13 years?

We're like them now? Tennessee is like them now?

Hmm. Ok. Sure. That make sense.

Dude it's been 16 years since we have reached the final 4.

9 years since the elite 8.

The 2023-24 season was head coach Kellie Harper's worst season yet at Tennessee (20-13 overall with a 10-6 record in the SEC).

The loss on Monday came against the program that fired Harper in 2013.

It's time to let her go and find a coach that can actually get this program back on track.

The 2023-24 season was head coach Kellie Harper's worst season yet at Tennessee (20-13 overall with a 10-6 record in the SEC).

It's time to let her go and find a coach that can actually get this program back on track.
Better not make a change just for the sake of making the change!! Best to know exactly who the next coach will be and be assured of success as the next mistake will bury this program if failure is the result!

Reactions: glv98
Better not make a change just for the sake of making the change!! Best to know exactly who the next coach will be and be assured of success as the next mistake will bury this program if failure is the result!
There doesn’t seem to be a sure thing when picking basketball coaches. see The last two wbb coaches we’ve hired, neither though had a record to make one confident in success, it was hope.

Reactions: Ratvol and glv98
I didn't think it was possible during this tournament when both teams scored 70 and change points where Rickea scored 33 total points and we went on to lose the game. <smdh>

I’d like to think she had the green light here as well. If I took the time to look, I wouldn’t be surprised if she had the second most shot attempts on the team.
I think early on she was unsure on what to do, she would just stand at the 3pt line and wait for a pass, at Wake she would have the ball in her hands most of the time. But she did become more aggressive as the season went on.

Reactions: LadyVol1908

You compared Tennessee, which has made every NCAA tournament, with two programs that haven't gone to the tournament in 13 years.

I don't have any quarrel with you saying you want a change, but comparing a Power 5 basketball program that has never missed the tournament with a team from the Sun Belt and a team from Conference USA, each of whom is around 15 years removed from even being considered for the tournament, is a farcical exaggeration.

No matter what struggles Tennessee has had, or will have, they will NEVER be in the position of those schools. The problems Tennessee has will always be of the here and now. The Power 2, as they're known now, will have resources and media support to the ends of the earth. That's part of the deal. Every major program at any of those schools will always be one good hire away from being resolved -- well, except maybe Vanderbilt or Northwestern or whatever.

Again, you want a change, you want to put a fork in Harper, well, keep it figurative but whatever. Point is, Tennessee is nothing like those schools. Not even in its current state.

Last edited:
You compared Tennessee, which has made every NCAA tournament, with two programs that haven't gone to the tournament in 13 years.

I don't have any quarrel with you saying you want a change, but comparing a Power 5 basketball program that has never missed the tournament with a team from the Sun Belt and a team from Conference USA, each of whom is around 15 years removed from even being considered for the tournament, is a farcical exaggeration.

No matter what struggles Tennessee has had, or will have, they will NEVER be in the position of those schools. The problems Tennessee has will always be of the here and now. The Power 2, as they're known now, will have resources and media support to the ends of the earth. That's part of the deal. Every major progarm at any of those schools will always be one good hire away from being resolved -- well, except maybe Vanderbilt or Northwestern or whatever.

Again, you want a change, you want to put a fork in Harper, well, keep it figurative but whatever. Point is, Tennessee is nothing like those schools. Not even in its current state.
This is no time for a reasoned, fact-base discussion. It is time for hyperbolic knee jerk reactions......

This is no time for a reasoned, fact-base discussion. It is time for hyperbolic knee jerk reactions......
So much this. Of course this is the day for message forum ADs to vomit out ridiculous hires. But the real AD knows it absolutely has to be right this time.

Jillian is an enigma. So much potential and so little payoff,

On the flipside, I think we all tend to forget just how raw she was last season. I just checked her stats and her numbers aren't that different. I am not sure regressed as held more or less steady but expectations were higher. She is the one LV who did not show improvement from last season. One explanation is that she is a four rather than a 5 but she has not shown much ability to hit a mid range with any consistency. For a bigger player, she often plays passive Her ceiling is high and hopefully, she will figure it out for next season because the clock is ticking on her college career.
the right words and the right trainer and she is unguardable

Like almost everyone, I didn't like seeing the loss. 1st, was most disappointed in those UNC Blue Uni's. Pat
added that baby blue as trim. Not - trying to change the school colors. Just as trim... And that went far, far
beyond alternate. They could have done 1 regular season game - not a playoff game.

2nd, and what really is most obvious - is the female level of play has evolved so much. It's about development
as much as it is trying to sign that one great player such as a Candace Parker - whom I feel was the last top level
Lady Vol. We saw bursts, but a lot more chasing their tails. I certainly don't exercise firing Harper, but a very terse
conversation should be in the future. The fallback degree is - at least they made the tourney....

Reactions: madtownvol
Like almost everyone, I didn't like seeing the loss. 1st, was most disappointed in those UNC Blue Uni's. Pat
added that baby blue as trim. Not - trying to change the school colors. Just as trim... And that went far, far
beyond alternate. They could have done 1 regular season game - not a playoff game.

2nd, and what really is most obvious - is the female level of play has evolved so much. It's about development
as much as it is trying to sign that one great player such as a Candace Parker - whom I feel was the last top level
Lady Vol. We saw bursts, but a lot more chasing their tails. I certainly don't exercise firing Harper, but a very terse
conversation should be in the future. The fallback degree is - at least they made the tourney....

I feel like those Jersey should be reserved for WeBackPat week.

Checking in occasionally via lasted to clear the thread. I’m kinda of sick of most commentary.
Yeah, I think you have the right idea. The hyberpoles from both sides today has been pretty exhausting to just watch and read. I’ve been lurking on here since Maria went paywall, and I was on the espn message boards before that fighting for my life against some Huskie fans. Just like the last few years of Holly, there are those who were ready to fire way too early and those that hung on to the bitter end. Until movement happens one way or another, I guess we’re in some type of purgatory. Pretty exhausting place to be.

Yeah, I think you have the right idea. The hyberpoles from both sides today has been pretty exhausting to just watch and read. I’ve been lurking on here since Maria went paywall, and I was on the espn message boards before that fighting for my life against some Huskie fans. Just like the last few years of Holly, there are those who were ready to fire way too early and those that hung on to the bitter end. Until movement happens one way or another, I guess we’re in some type of purgatory. Pretty exhausting place to be.
Yep. Centered perspectives not welcome. I remember the ESPN cesspool. That wuz rough.

Apparently that’s apart of our offensive scheme….standing in the corners for a kick out and honestly it’s not a bad scheme when you have a talent such as Jackson on the roster. She needs room to operate. The problem was, that seemed to be 1 of 2 offensive schemes. Completely 1 dimensional

No idea why Striplin didn’t get more time on the court. I think she could’ve hung with Baldwin and Collins in the paint better than Hollingshead this game. But then again, idk, I really didn’t the game off and followed the game thread midway through the 2nd quarter so I wasn’t able to see what was actually going on, on the court.
I saw it, and you’re right!

Reactions: Deebowbear

VN Store

Back