Game thread: NCAA Second Round: No. 6 Seed Lady Vols vs. No. 3 Seed NC State

YES, YES, and YES! In order for us to beat good teams and compete, Jewel HAD to be the Robin to Rickea, and that didn’t happen! Jewel has to get quicker next year if she’s going to be an elite scoring option!

I still can’t believe we were lucky enough to be able to witness Jackson in a Lady Vol uniform! I hate she wasn’t able to lead us to the promised land! 💔
In order for to get quicker she needs to start that work now, I just wonder if that’s something she’s trying to do.

I would hope so. I don’t know how she was scoring all those points in the ACC with her mobility. The SEC does seem to have more athletes.
It seems like it takes transfers at least a full year to adjust in Kellie’s system. JP improved to her max this year. Rickea was better. Poor Jillian seemed to regress though. Maybe next year with Cooper, Spear, and Wells in the system a full year, they’ll reach their potential? I think a lot of our season will depend on that.

It seems like it takes transfers at least a full year to adjust in Kellie’s system. JP improved to her max this year. Rickea was better. Poor Jillian seemed to regress though. Maybe next year with Cooper, Spear, and Wells in the system a full year, they’ll reach their potential? I think a lot of our season will depend on that.
Our season will depend on our portal haul

Reactions: glv98 and spojo13
What is this system you speak of? More times than not I see players standing around while the person with the ball is doing a 1-1 or 1-2.

Some good points. Spear had some good shooting performances, to be sure--but I agree that she doesn't have the quickness, explosiveness, that really good shooting guards have. It limits her effectiveness--and she consistently under-performed in big games. I don't know what happened with Hollingshead---no dynamism to her game, seems to play tentatively, really regressed this year, which hurt the team. We need some athletic forwards and a genuine scorer or the team could struggle next year.

Reactions: glv98
I don't think it is a year to adjust to Kellie's system. I think it takes a year to adjust to what is bigger, faster and stronger competition than many transfers saw at their previous stop. This is a big jump from where Jewel was. I think she will have adjust well and a good year next year.

Reactions: glv98 and travis929
I don't think it is a year to adjust to Kellie's system. I think it takes a year to adjust to what is bigger, faster and stronger competition than many transfers saw at their previous stop. This is a big jump from where Jewel was. I think she will have adjust well and a good year next year.
Jewel came from the ACC, right? Do you feel the ACC is that much of a step below the SEC? Destiny, I can agree with, but we didn’t get to see much of her. I’m not sure that Jewel didn’t face stronger and faster competition in the ACC. If she was coming from the Big 10, I could see the athleticism level being different, but imo, I think the ACC has some pretty good athletes,

I do have to wonder that if we’ve had four first rounders and all these players getting better, then where are the better team results? If we can improve players and have all that WNBA talent, then where is the breakdown in the program not moving forward?
The players have gotten better individually, but in most of the tougher games, there has been little team play.. a lot of one-on-one by Rickea for example (with some screening), but it doesn’t appear there is much of an offensive scheme, and players are standing too much and holding the ball (for way too long). I know there is no depth at PG, for example, but if your PG is not thinking facilitate first and players are not moving, then sit the PG and the players who are standing and are not adding value. That being said, you have to put a WORKING offensive scheme into place first and stay disciplined with it! I think we have a challenge with coaching offense and giving consequences for lack of discipline.

Jewel came from the ACC, right? Do you feel the ACC is that much of a step below the SEC? Destiny, I can agree with, but we didn’t get to see much of her. I’m not sure that Jewel didn’t face stronger and faster competition in the ACC. If she was coming from the Big 10, I could see the athleticism level being different, but imo, I think the ACC has some pretty good athletes,
ACC is pretty strong. NCSU had seen Jewel before. They knew what to do with her. But when she is open, our PG can’t ignore her.

Reactions: travis929
The players have gotten better individually, but in most of the tougher games, there has been little team play.. a lot of one-on-one by Rickea for example (with some screening), but it doesn’t appear there is much of an offensive scheme, and players are standing too much and holding the ball (for way too long). I know there is no depth at PG, for example, but if your PG is not thinking facilitate first and players are not moving, then sit the PG and the players who are standing and are not adding value. That being said, you have to put a WORKING offensive scheme into place first and stay disciplined with it! I think we have a challenge with coaching offense and giving consequences for lack of discipline.
You do bring up a good point. If players are developing to their limit, but the team results are seemingly stuck in neutral, are we putting them in the best system to succeed?

Reactions: travis929
ACC is pretty strong. NCSU had seen Jewel before. They knew what to do with her. But when she is open, our PG can’t ignore her.
Another good point, NC state probably knew her tendencies better than anyone. Not sure how much the team adjusted to that. If we could have figured out when to get her shots in a place to score, we might have moved on.

Apparently that’s apart of our offensive scheme….standing in the corners for a kick out and honestly it’s not a bad scheme when you have a talent such as Jackson on the roster. She needs room to operate. The problem was, that seemed to be 1 of 2 offensive schemes. Completely 1 dimensional
Noticed that. She is more reliable on offense than JH.
No idea why Striplin didn’t get more time on the court. I think she could’ve hung with Baldwin and Collins in the paint better than Hollingshead this game. But then again, idk, I really didn’t the game off and followed the game thread midway through the 2nd quarter so I wasn’t able to see what was actually going on, on the court.

Some good points. Spear had some good shooting performances, to be sure--but I agree that she doesn't have the quickness, explosiveness, that really good shooting guards have. It limits her effectiveness--and she consistently under-performed in big games. I don't know what happened with Hollingshead---no dynamism to her game, seems to play tentatively, really regressed this year, which hurt the team. We need some athletic forwards and a genuine scorer or the team could struggle next year.
Jillian is an enigma. So much potential and so little payoff,

On the flipside, I think we all tend to forget just how raw she was last season. I just checked her stats and her numbers aren't that different. I am not sure regressed as held more or less steady but expectations were higher. She is the one LV who did not show improvement from last season. One explanation is that she is a four rather than a 5 but she has not shown much ability to hit a mid range with any consistency. For a bigger player, she often plays passive Her ceiling is high and hopefully, she will figure it out for next season because the clock is ticking on her college career.

Jillian is an enigma. So much potential and so little payoff,

On the flipside, I think we all tend to forget just how raw she was last season. I just checked her stats and her numbers aren't that different. I am not sure regressed as held more or less steady but expectations were higher. She is the one LV who did not show improvement from last season. One explanation is that she is a four rather than a 5 but she has not shown much ability to hit a mid range with any consistency. For a bigger player, she often plays passive Her ceiling is high and hopefully, she will figure it out for next season because the clock is ticking on her college career.
We need to pull an NC state and development our players

They tried that with the pod system a few years back. The women's game is not yet ready for opening rounds that are not anchored by a strong home team. It is just the reality of the market.
That’s true the S curve would be a MUCH bigger factor

Basically the top 20 in attendance get a regional close to them

Reactions: madtownvol
What conference does NC State play in again?

Reactions: spojo13

VN Store

Back