Game Thread Lady Vols vs Chattanooga

How many Lady Vols team have been offense juggernauts and won a national championships. Defense, rebound and good guard play win championship.

If our guards and wings come to play, no contest. If not, close ball game, our success like this year and the past couple of years, hinges on the play of our guards.

I miss the days of us having ballas at the guard spot.

How many Lady Vols team have been offense juggernauts and won a national championships. Defense, rebound and good guard play win championship.

If our guards and wings come to play, no contest. If not, close ball game, our success like this year and the past couple of years, hinges on the play of our guards.

I miss the days of us having ballas at the guard spot.

This part of your statement is questionable and probably underlies the biggest split in the Lady Vol fan base. On one side are those who believe defense and rebounding like Pat preached are enough to win titles. On the other side are others that believe solid defense and rebounding are essential but not enough due to the offensive evolution of the game.

I can see the defense argument working against everyone but UConn. Perhaps once Geno exits the stage it will go back to the way it was in the 90s. As long as he is around though his teams have too many good shooters moving the ball in space to be stopped. The best players, most of whom are on his team, can't be stopped with "good defense".

"Defense, rebound and good guard play win championship. "

Two Auriemma quotes semi verbatim - not posted to fire anyone up but to illustrate where the game is today.

"Defense wins games. Offense merely determines the margin of victory"

"You can't win a NC without great guards
"

So far UT is undefeated because they have a good defense but the MOV isn't what it should be because the offense is almost one dimensional.

Sagarin has UT by 14 tonight.
Massey has them by 18.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I'll miss most maybe all of this game when it airs live, but the stats that I think will most likely lead to a win are:

- Turnovers ---> Less than or equal to 10 SHOULD mean a likely WIN. 17 or more will likely mean a close game or loss.

- Minutes ---> THESE players should have the most minutes: Graves, Russell, DeShields, Cooper, Carter, and Dunbar because they GENERALLY take care of the ball, can score, and play defense. If Jones, Moore, and Middleton get the lion share of minutes, then we likely are going to be back to that stagnate offense either turning it over or just not getting good production. What good is elite defense if you just go to the other end of the floor and turn it over or look clueless on offense? I'm lukewarm with Reynolds. She takes care of the ball. Average defense. But, she can't create her own shot or get a lot of assists. So ... hard to say.

And that's basically it. Sure, I'd like us to shoot better, but we play good enough defense as a team to keep us in most ballgames despite physical shooting stats. Although WITHOUT Dunbar's stats, as a team, we are 6 for 34 (17.65%) with 3 pointers. I got to think that's just bad luck and small sample size. But, again, it's another GOOD reason to keep Dunbar in the game.

Here's the player stats so far for average minutes elapsed before they commit a turnover (the HIGHER the better). I still include Cooper as a player who needs more minutes because she can create her own shot, pass (has just as many assists as turnovers and 2nd most assists on team), and she's a Freshman and gets a pass early going.

Average Minutes till turnover ---> Player*
3 ---> Moore,Nia*
6.6 ---> Jones,Jasmine*
7.55 ---> Cooper,Te'a*
9.67 ---> Middleton,Alexa*
10.5 ---> DeShields,Diamond*
11.13 ---> Carter,Andraya*
14.5 ---> Reynolds,Jordan*
24 ---> Dunbar,Kortney*
26 ---> Russell,Mercedes*
34.67 ---> Graves,Bashaara*
999 ---> Jackson,Meme* (No turnovers yet in only 2 minutes of play)

Last edited:
Great quarter were really pushing the ball and Diamond is hitting which is great as well.

Great game so far. Mercedes and Diamond look good. Tea Shooting well. Only frustrating thing is the continuing turnover when throwing it to post.

huh, defense and rebounds and good guard play win championships. Mane, if we play defense like that all season, mane oh mane.

VN Store

Back