Game Thread Lady Vols vs Carson Newman

Enjoy the game a lot, first half not so hot, but snd half much better, I love the 4 freshmen. Rennia Davis is quite a player so happy we have her for 4 years.

Good news so glad the freshman look good. Can't remember the offense being this good in a while. No more entitlement! GLV

University of Tennessee Athletics

Looking at the boxscore the upper classmen were 18 for 42, The Freshmen were 34 of 49. They will not shoot that well every game and the upperclassmen will shoot better some games.

Only 10 turnovers for Tennessee and 24 for Carson Newman. A very fast paced game Carson Newman got up 79 shots only made 35 percent. We shot 92 times and made 57.1 percent.

Last year we beat them 95 to 56 they got up 74 shots in that game only made 26 percent. We shot 67 times made 37 for 55 percent. We had 15 turnovers and they had 16 last season. So about the same result except we pushed the ball more and played and extremely quicker tempo.

The one stat that really stands out from last season to this game were the steals and turnovers. Last year we forced 16 turnovers and made 6 steals. This game we forced 24 turnovers and 16 steals. So 22 versus 40 this game almost double forced turnovers and steals.

Reactions: 3 people
University of Tennessee Athletics

Looking at the boxscore the upper classmen were 18 for 42, The Freshmen were 34 of 49. They will not shoot that well every game and the upperclassmen will shoot better some games.

Only 10 turnovers for Tennessee and 24 for Carson Newman. A very fast paced game Carson Newman got up 79 shots only made 35 percent. We shot 92 times and made 57.1 percent.

Last year we beat them 95 to 56 they got up 74 shots in that game only made 26 percent. We shot 67 times made 37 for 55 percent. We had 15 turnovers and they had 16 last season. So about the same result except we pushed the ball more and played and extremely quicker tempo.

The one stat that really stands out from last season to this game were the steals and turnovers. Last year we forced 16 turnovers and made 6 steals. This game we forced 24 turnovers and 16 steals. So 22 versus 40 this game almost double forced turnovers and steals.

I've been following Carson-Newman since we've played them on a regular basis. This is one of the best teams they've put on the court against us, especially their back court which includes two D1 transfers. So the 16 steals and 24 turnovers forced is definitely a BIG positive to look. To have over 100 possessions and only 10 turnovers with two freshman running the team is outstanding, even if it is against a D2 team.

This team also attacked every time they were scored on. No hanging of the heads from the freshman is a good sign. It will be nice for the coaches not having to constantly try and work through the mental hurdle of letting bad possessions go. A huge thing Reaves has brought in terms of recruiting is identifying not just the right talent but the right recruits in terms of character and mindset. Westbrook and Hayes, despite some breakdowns defensively and being winded early and often, played with poise and made so many good reads on and off the ball on the offensive side. Really encouraging stuff.

I remain cautiously optimistic. We will have our bumps in the road but this team has a new feel already. Looking forward to ETSU game!

Reactions: 5 people
Just checking the stats of CN game.

Annie played 21 minutes and had 19 points.... going to be hard to keep her on the bench! Just saying 🤔

And the steals would double also ??? Forty minute game and playing half of the time ..,, most impressive for all the Freshmen.

Reactions: 1 person
I've been following Carson-Newman since we've played them on a regular basis. This is one of the best teams they've put on the court against us, especially their back court which includes two D1 transfers. So the 16 steals and 24 turnovers forced is definitely a BIG positive to look. To have over 100 possessions and only 10 turnovers with two freshman running the team is outstanding, even if it is against a D2 team.

This team also attacked every time they were scored on. No hanging of the heads from the freshman is a good sign. It will be nice for the coaches not having to constantly try and work through the mental hurdle of letting bad possessions go. A huge thing Reaves has brought in terms of recruiting is identifying not just the right talent but the right recruits in terms of character and mindset. Westbrook and Hayes, despite some breakdowns defensively and being winded early and often, played with poise and made so many good reads on and off the ball on the offensive side. Really encouraging stuff.

I remain cautiously optimistic. We will have our bumps in the road but this team has a new feel already. Looking forward to ETSU game!

You can tell a lot about the newbies as well as the veterans, in that there were no emotional displays like there was last year. So far I see no extreme-personalities in them or in any of the other players. . After watching them play yesterday,,I would trade DD and Coop for Evina and Rennia, any day!!. I would also endorse a trade of B-Gordon for Jollette.

This will be a much better season.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
KD played 16 min, was 1-1 shooting (a three) for 3 pts, 3 reb and an assist.

Watching her on defense and in transition, I think she is playing through an injury, hopefully minor and fully recoverable. But last night she was the slowest player on the floor.

Davis and Westbrook appear to have the kamikaze in them. And that is a good thing - they look like real basketball players. Davis is freakishly athletic and both seem to have high bb IQ.

You can tell a lot about the newbies as well as the veterans, in that there were no emotional displays like there was last year. So far I see no extreme-personalities in them or in any of the other players. . After watching them play yesterday,,I would trade Evina and Rennia for DD and Coop, any day!!. I would also endorse a trade of B-Gordon for Jollette.

This will be a much better season.

I think you mean that you would trade DD and Coop for Evina and Rennia anyday. As well as the freshmen played, I hope that our expectations don't burden them needlessly.
To make it to the final four with 3 freshmen in the starting lineup can be done, but it's not easy.

I think you mean that you would trade DD and Coop for Evina and Rennia anyday. As well as the freshmen played, I hope that our expectations don't burden them needlessly.
To make it to the final four with 3 freshmen in the starting lineup can be done, but it's not easy.

No I think he had it right. Especially when it comes to Coop wish her the best but being reprimanded for breaking team rules then asked to leave the school for violating policies? I’ll take the Morgan Wooten and USA TODAY national player of the year along with Davis who has equal too or more college credits as a freshman than Coop does as a redshirt sophomore. They both are juniors academic wise (only one did hers in high school and earned an associates). Also Westbrook and Davis seemed very unselfish something that is going to be needed for a young team to thrive. Bumps are to be expected but if one group is fully invested while another may not be... Im taking the invested group 😎

No I think he had it right. Especially when it comes to Coop wish her the best but being reprimanded for breaking team rules then asked to leave the school for violating policies? I’ll take the Morgan Wooten and USA TODAY national player of the year along with Davis who has equal too or more college credits as a freshman than Coop does as a redshirt sophomore. They both are juniors academic wise (only one did hers in high school and earned an associates). Also Westbrook and Davis seemed very unselfish something that is going to be needed for a young team to thrive. Bumps are to be expected but if one group is fully invested while another may not be... Im taking the invested group 😎

I think you misunderstood my post (but I could be wrong).
I agree with Coach J that Evina and Rennia will be better for Tennessee in the long run. I corrected the order he placed the names.
Shouldn't it be in this order?
I would trade ___ (the players you want to trade away) FOR ____ (the players you want).
It was a small grammatical change that should end here or it might morph into pages of semantics instead of LV basketball.

I wouldn't trade Evina and Rennia for Cooper and DeShields.

All four freshmen did a good job. Merecedes would have had more rebounds, but Rennia jumped in there and got them! Know she will want to practice free throws though. Ouch.

I wouldn't trade Evina and Rennia for Cooper and DeShields.

All four freshmen did a good job. Merecedes would have had more rebounds, but Rennia jumped in there and got them! Know she will want to practice free throws though. Ouch.

I'm going against my own advice with this post but what the h...
I agree with both your sentiment and the order you placed the pairs of players because you wouldn't make that trade.

I agree with Coach J that Evina and Rennia will be better for Tennessee in the long run. I corrected the order he placed the names.
I would trade ___ (the players you want to trade away) FOR ____ (the players you want).
It was a small grammatical change that should end here or it might morph into pages of semantics instead of LV basketball.

Totally misunderstood and you are correct! 😄 glad we are all in agreement ! We love the freshman!

Totally misunderstood and you are correct! 😄 glad we are all in agreement ! We love the freshman!

Whew !!
Thank you, I was afraid it was going to go off on a tangent.
As far as the freshmen are concerned, what's not to like ?
Both on and off the court by the way.

Not well.
She didnt play well, she might have not improved, or with davis and KK playing solid, her role is changing again back to a wing. She also might be under the weather too. She made a three and at least one layup. I am not writing her off. This is definately Russell and Nared's team. The freshman are SEC ballers. The passing is a huge improvement over the last 2 years already. That and sharing the rock, one extra pass...and the spacing are already better. Biggest think i enjoyed...no moping stars, no stupid passes, and stars playing out of control. Not the same stupid turnovers. Jackson made 1 layup but still is better passing one up to someone else. It seems that won't be the problem for the new kids! Russell doesnt play that well when the refs are letting little players slap her hands and shove her. She kept composure but wasn't making foul shots early. She got fouled a lot when passes were low or she put it on floor to get better shot.she will be dominate and a double machine with better officials and more playing time with freshman. Unlike Nared who can produce her own shot, Russell needs to flash open and be fed. She ran the floor great she wasnt loafing. Not sure why she plays so much defense at high post, top of key, but she played fine. Freshman all blew me away with play and speed, kk with power. I was right behind bench and there was a definate team buzz that has been missing. Sorry to say, all game i kept thinking how DD would improve the team with her play...not talent, my conclusion is it would be a negitive effect.

Last edited:
I edited the post.
Good catch on that.
There is no way I want DD and Coop back here, unless I am coaching them.

Think you are correct. Also think most read it as what he MEANT rather than what he WROTE. Of course there are always the grammar Nazis; I admit I am one of them.

How about a mathematical equation?

Evina + Rennia > DD + Coop

Love math❤️😄. And GO LADY VOLS!

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Think you are correct. Also think most read it as what he MEANT rather than what he WROTE. Of course there are always the grammar Nazis; I admit I am one of them.

How about a mathematical equation?

Evina + Rennia > DD + Coop

Love math❤️😄. And GO LADY VOLS!

Thanks Kiddo.

VN Store

Back