Game Thread Lady Vols at Georgia

Great win for the girls! Just hate that they lost that big lead. Any time we play UGA I want to crush them in any sport!!!

Reactions: 1 person
So, let me get this straight, the Lady Vols win by 15 and were winning by almost as much as 30 over a top 20 ranked team on the road and some of you are still griping and whining ...

That's your prerogative, but when you do that, it's hard to take anything you say seriously.

Reactions: 3 people
So, let me get this straight, the Lady Vols win by 15 and were winning by almost as much as 30 over a top 20 ranked team on the road and some of you are still griping and whining ...

That's your prerogative, but when you do that, it's hard to take anything you say seriously.

To the Holly haters, I'd like to point out that this is coaching, too

All boards have bottom feeders. Pay them no mind.

Reactions: 2 people

The real take-away for fans from this is: When the LVs are up 30 with less than 10 minutes left in the game, don't relax, that's not a big enough lead. Don't you realize how easy it would have been to lose the game. Good foul shooting saved the day. With normal foul shooting the game could easily have been lost.

What you are failing to realize is that the game is 40 minutes. You can't selectively and negatively focus in on certain parts of the game. The game IS the entire game. They won the game by 15 points on the road against a top 20 team. What else do you want from them?

You can play that childish game of "they should have done more" EVERY game. They won by 15, they should have won by 30. If they win by 30, they should have won by 50. They won by 50, but Simmons keeps jacking up shots and doesn't play good defense. When does it stop? Some of you act like Cinderella's step mom and the Lady Vols are Cinderella. Switch to decaf and relax.

Sure, you can learn something from EVERY game regardless of the score, but acting like they should be ashamed of that game or that they dodged a bullet is so ridiculous that I can't take anyone who thinks that seriously about anything they say because you've lost all credibility.

What you are failing to realize is that the game is 40 minutes. You can't selectively and negatively focus in on certain parts of the game.

I can't but you can? Remember saying this:

"Simmons getting called for a foul was a bad call by the ref.
Simmons getting called for a technical was a bad call by the ref.
Holly getting called for a technical was a bad call by the ref." Incidentally, we lost by less than the 5 points the refs gave away.

Practice what you preach. Were you on the court listening to what was said by Meighan and Holly? How do you know that the T's were bad calls?

What you are failing to realize is that the game is 40 minutes. You can't selectively and negatively focus in on certain parts of the game. The game IS the entire game. They won the game by 15 points on the road against a top 20 team. What else do you want from them?

You can play that childish game of "they should have done more" EVERY game. They won by 15, they should have won by 30. If they win by 30, they should have won by 50. They won by 50, but Simmons keeps jacking up shots and doesn't play good defense. When does it stop? Some of you act like Cinderella's step mom and the Lady Vols are Cinderella. Switch to decaf and relax.

Sure, you can learn something from EVERY game regardless of the score, but acting like they should be ashamed of that game or that they dodged a bullet is so ridiculous that I can't take anyone who thinks that seriously about anything they say because you've lost all credibility.

Please forward this to Cinderella, so she will also realize that a game is 40 minutes long.

I can't but you can? Remember saying this:

"Simmons getting called for a foul was a bad call by the ref.
Simmons getting called for a technical was a bad call by the ref.
Holly getting called for a technical was a bad call by the ref." Incidentally, we lost by less than the 5 points the refs gave away.

Practice what you preach. Were you on the court listening to what was said by Meighan and Holly? How do you know that the T's were bad calls?

Classic strawman. One has nothing to do with the other. If I said, "Hey, the Vols went on a 20-0 scoring run in the Georgia game. We are freakin' awesome and going to be national champs this year", then THAT would be the equivalent of what some of you do.

My comment about the refs doesn't change my opinion of our effort against LSU. It was disappointing we came out flat and didn't seem to want it as badly as they did for much of the ball game. The end result or any one baised, selective stretch of the game wouldn't change that.

I'm right about the refs because I saw the replay of the foul call on Simmons and it was an awful call. Like I said, I can forgive physical plays and mistakes because people are human. The technicals I cannot forgive. The refs were wrong about Simmons because Holly asked for an explanation and she was told "because of her reaction". Not because she cursed or said something inapproriate and on the replay it's pretty clear nothing was said. As for Holly, I don't know for sure because I don't know what was said, but I for damn sure am not giving the refs who just blew two calls in a 5 seconds the benefit of the doubt in that situation. Worse case scenario she should have got a warning.

It was clear to me the refs were pissed off because they had been getting booed, and rightfully so, and they blew another call and the last thing they wanted to see was a player showing her disapproval, so they couldn't keep THEIR emotions in check and gave Simmons a technical. And, they certainly didn't want the coach piling more crap onto their plate either and figured, "Hey, we gave out one technical, why not another?"

How they should have handled it? Pulled Simmons aside calmly WITHOUT emotion and explained that any more demonstrative behavior would result in a technical. Problem solved.

Last edited:
Classic strawman. One has nothing to do with the other. If I said, "Hey, the Vols went on a 20-0 scoring run in the Georgia game. We are freakin' awesome and going to be national champs this year", then THAT would be the equivalent of what some of you do.

My comment about the refs doesn't change my opinion of our effort against LSU. It was disappointing we came out flat and didn't seem to want it as badly as they did for much of the ball game. The end result or any one baised, selective stretch of the game wouldn't change that.

I'm right about the refs because I saw the replay of the foul call on Simmons and it was an awful call. Like I said, I can forgive physical plays and mistakes because people are human. The technicals I cannot forgive. The refs were wrong about Simmons because Holly asked for an explanation and she was told "because of her reaction". Not because she cursed or said something inapproriate and on the replay it's pretty clear nothing was said. As for Holly, I don't know for sure because I don't know what was said, but I for damn sure am not giving the refs who just blew two calls in a 5 seconds the benefit of the doubt in that situation. Worse case scenario she should have got a warning.

It was clear to me the refs were pissed off because they had been getting booed, and rightfully so, and they blew another call and the last thing they wanted to see was a player showing her disapproval, so they couldn't keep THEIR emotions in check and gave Simmons a technical. And, they certainly didn't want the coach piling more crap onto their plate either and figured, "Hey, we gave out one technical, why not another?"

How they should have handled it? Pulled Simmons aside calmly WITHOUT emotion and explained that any more demonstrative behavior would result in a technical. Problem solved.

Not a straw man argument. You said, "What you are failing to realize is that the game is 40 minutes. You can't selectively and negatively focus in on certain parts of the game. The game IS the entire game."

You criticized my post for picking out certain things about the game and not considering the entire game. That's exactly what you did in bringing up the Technicals. Apples to apples.

Now, to a different topic - your analysis of what the refs should have done regarding the T's.

T's are often given for reactions, and players know it and thus shouldn't do it. Simmons crossed the line. Refs also make plenty of mistakes and players need to accept that without overreacting. Holly should train her players not to react to ref decisions.

Refs are always getting booed by fans and they know to ignore that. I find it ridiculous for you to think you know what is going on inside the head of the refs.

It took a while but I've finally gone over a hundred posts.
I can start my own threads now.
Gee. I wonder what my first thread should be about ?:pardon:

About 50 of them were your assessment of what you call bad coaching. Proud of that? Got anything else to comment on?

Apples to apples.
No, it isn't and I explained why and even gave an example. I can only lead a horse to water. It is perfectly fine to focus on one particular thing that you like or don't like and focus in on it in the right context. The mistake so many of you make is to blow it out of context. If you came to any negative conclusions about the Lady Vols after the Georgia game, you blew it and have no credibility, if you had any to begin with.

Simmons crossed the line.
No, she didn't. In fact, her reaction in my opinion was pretty tame when you consider what actually happened. After the offensive LSU player lept out of bounds out of control untouched, Simmons didn't say anything to the refs and I don't think she even made eye contact with the ref AND if the refs were doing their job, they wouldn't even be looking at Simmons to begin with. If the game was well officiated to begin with, they wouldn't be getting those reactions, and even if they make a mistake, they should still issue an unemotional warning. There was no warning because the refs got emotional based on their bad officiating and made it about them.

Refs are always getting booed by fans and they know to ignore that.
I've been to a handful of UT games and it is actually not that common for the entire place to boo at refs. It happens, but it's not common. It was happening a LOT at the LSU game and for good reason.

No, she didn't. In fact, her reaction in my opinion was pretty tame when you consider what actually happened. After the offensive LSU player lept out of bounds out of control untouched, Simmons didn't say anything to the refs and I don't think she even made eye contact with the ref AND if the refs were doing their job, they wouldn't even be looking at Simmons to begin with. There was no warning because the refs got emotional based on their bad officiating and made it about them.
Your observations are not accurate. LSU's #11 drove down the left side of the lane with Simmons guarding her. While Simmons had her hands straight up, she was all over #11 with her body. #11 didn't leap out of bounds out of control untouched. She knew she was fouled by Simmons and Simmons body caused her to be out of control. She threw up the shot to get 2 foul shots. It was definitely a foul. The ref got it right.

After the foul call, Simmons turned directly toward the ref with her hands straight up, demonstrating her guarding position. She probably said something to the ref, the announcer even said, "Simmons loses her temper and got T'd up." Further evidence that MS did the wrong thing was Massengale going over to MS to give her a little talking-to.

There is no need for the ref to issue warnings. It rarely happens. You do something T-worthy and you get a T. This isn't an instructional league.

VN Store

Back