Game superstition thread

Why not just frame that '98 quarter and hang it on the wall above your big-screen TV?

I have a Vols helmet that during the game I always turn to face the direction the Vols are driving!

Back in the 90's I used to have a lot of game day parties. I would only have orange food! Doritos, cheese puffs, cheese and crackers, shrimp, shrimp dip, etc. I slowly stopped having them as times got worse.
Things are looking up though! I just got a new house with an indoor tiki bar! Orange food Vol party soon !!!!!!!

"Anyone else have any superstitions?"

Yeah, I got one. Don't step on the cracks cuz Spurrier loves to break the Vols backs.

Hoagie. Orange crush and BBQ chips. Use to be a Heath shuler jersey but it went missing week of conference championship game in 07. Strange

This one is a new one for me. This week I pulled two quarters out of my pocket. Sure enough, one is a Tennessee quarter and the other a South Carolina quarter. So I have them both on my desk now with Tennessee on top of South Carolina.

Hope it works!

if i see or talk to my mother before or during a game we will lose,if i get on volnation during a game it goes south quick

If you want to give us your Mom's address, I know a guy who can prevent that from happening! Just kidding.....kind of. Stay off VN Dude!

I always look in my change during football season so see if got any '98 coins. While the vols have won many games during weeks I didn't get any '98 coins, they've never lost when I have.

Just got a '98 quarter tonight. Hopefully the streak stays alive.

Anyone else have any superstitions?

It's interesting that change seems to be a big one to folks. My wife's teams never lose when she finds a penny on heads that week. She's a Vol fan but a SC grad so I don't know if we should look for one this week. I found a penny on heads literally seconds before the Stoerner fumble in '98. I framed that penny with a print of the game after we won the National title and haven't touched it since. Don't want to piss off the football Gods by being greedy!

Sports are the only thing I'm superstitious about. The shirt I'm wearing next Saturday is 3-0 against teams from Alabama. Wore it to Troy game last year, UT/Bama basketball game last year, and South Alabama this year. Worth a shot.

Well we played like crap in both of the football games that you mentioned and were lucky to escape with a win...

I used to have certain shirts I would wear for certain games but then we just started losing all the those games on the reg so I quit coordinating.

OP once we win Saturday you should bump this thread so we are reminded the streak is still alive!

Hoping it works.

I'm nervous. First time since fulmer I've gotten a '98 coin the week of a game against a ranked team. Here's to hoping it rings true.

I put a dip in at the beginning of the game and leave it in as long as we are winning.

Damn! Same here! I dipped Skoal in 98 but switched to Grizzly some time in the next century. Maybe I oughta go back to Skoal at least on game days. I also wear my hat bill forward on O and turn it backwards on defense. Of course that seemed to curse the D last year so I stopped.

In 2009, I had the superstition that every game I watched completely through on TV (UCLA, UF, Auburn, Ole Miss, Va Tech) we would lose. Every game that I listened to (even just a little bit) on the radio (WKU, Ohio, UGA, USCe, Memphis, Vandy, UK), we would win. Then there was the strange case of the Bama game. I was listening to it over the radio on my MP3 player. However, that day mom decided that she wanted to buy a couch. We went to Zak's furniture store and they had a huge TV playing the CBS broadcast of the 3rd (4th) Saturday in a side room. I made a huge effort to avoid the door to that room. My mom even referenced it to the salesman -"he thinks they'll lose if he watches it on TV" -"Then tell him to keep listening to it." I held strong for the hour (at least it seemed like that long) we were there, but while mom was checking out, my curiosity got the best of me and I watched a UT DB break up a 3rd down slant route and the subsequent punt. 2 PLAYS!!! When we began to position ourselves at the end, I believed. Mom went into Blockbuster to return movies as Lincoln lined up for the final FG. As soon as Kesling's deflated voice said "..it's blocked..." I blamed myself for watching the two plays on TV. Mom came out of the store and mouthed "well?" to me. I just had to forlornly shake my head. I couldn't believe it. I still blame myself for he two plays but F Lane Kiffin, I'm glad he didn't beat bammer last.

Reactions: 1 person
I use to have a Harley Davidson , when I rode it to the games we never lost.
Then I got married and sold it when my wife quit her job one time.
Since then We have been on a losing streak.

So if anyone would like to replace it for me to restart the tradition......?

Two hours before the game, every Saturday, I make a friend dress up in the opposing teams' apparel. Then, I sprint at him from about 50 feet away, yelling all the opposing teams' best players right before I tackle the ever loving sh!t out of him.

It doesn't seem to work, but I still do it.
Lottery you are too funny! :rofl:

VN Store

Back