Galaxy S5

Used to be a fan of the Galaxy S line of phones until they gradually got bigger and bigger to the point of being completely ridiculous. I don't know when or if Samsung will ever get the idea that the size of any of the newer Galaxy S series of phones is a complete turn off. Nobody want's to carry around a virtual touch pad sized phone in their pocket. Perhaps their targeted market are women who throw their phone in their purse where phone size doesn't matter.

siii mini and siv mini disagree

I've toyed with switching to a Galaxy in the past. I like the iphone (have a 5) and I also have a mac and ipad as well, so I am an "apple" guy...but I also like new and shiny, so sometimes you think the grass is always greener...

I go back and forth. The iphone just hasn't changed much over the years and as a result I get bored with it at times. Like the above poster though, I won't switch from Mac computers any time soon and I still prefer the ipad over other tablets.

How could you prefer the iPad over a tablet that actually runs a real, live OS?

I already have a smartphone. Why would I pay several hundred dollars for a really big smartphone? I haven't gotten my hands on a Surface, yet. But I'm trying to fight back the urge to purchase one next month, because I really don't need a roided out tablet that would make my 2 year old laptop look slow.

What kind of specifics can you say about your experience with the S5 so far? Each day that I must suffer through with my iPhone 4, I get closer and closer to an upgrade, but I still haven't decided between the S5 and the Nexus. Does it do wireless charging out of the box like the Nexus?

I go back and forth. The iphone just hasn't changed much over the years and as a result I get bored with it at times. Like the above poster though, I won't switch from Mac computers any time soon and I still prefer the ipad over other tablets.

Definitely the case. When you compare the iPad and Macbook to the Android/Windows platforms against which they compete, they are not only generally the best quality, but even the least expensive at times.

I've had every iPhone since the 3GS, and four or five Android phones, and Android has been the superior product going on a few years now. There's always at least one option with better hardware, better build quality and more flexibility (and recently easier to use) for less money.

I already have a smartphone. Why would I pay several hundred dollars for a really big smartphone? I haven't gotten my hands on a Surface, yet. But I'm trying to fight back the urge to purchase one next month, because I really don't need a roided out tablet that would make my 2 year old laptop look slow.

What kind of specifics can you say about your experience with the S5 so far? Each day that I must suffer through with my iPhone 4, I get closer and closer to an upgrade, but I still haven't decided between the S5 and the Nexus. Does it do wireless charging out of the box like the Nexus?

It does not. However the charging cable and block in the box are extremely fast.

The Surface? I bought one when they first came out and hated it so I returned it. It's really a laptop not a tablet. And there are a very limited number of apps available. It just wasn't for me.

Definitely the case. When you compare the iPad and Macbook to the Android/Windows platforms against which they compete, they are not only generally the best quality, but even the least expensive at times.

I've had every iPhone since the 3GS, and four or five Android phones, and Android has been the superior product going on a few years now. There's always at least one option with better hardware, better build quality and more flexibility (and recently easier to use) for less money.
The screens on my Note 2 and Galaxy Nexus (the only two Android phones I've owned) are much dimmer in outdoors in sunlight than the iphone, even at the brightest setting. I assume this isn't the case with other Android models?

G2, HTC One M8 and Galaxy S5 definitely have iPhone beat there.

G2?

I've looked at the Google Play edition of the M8 but I'm not loving the tall form factor and rounded sides. Seems to be a great phone overall though.

LG G2. Same processor and chassis as nexus with improved screen, camera and battery.

I'm still in a "show me" phase with HTC. Every year they come out to rave reviews, then every year 6 months down the road they start aging poorly for one reason or another. UI, software, battery life, it's always something. LG used to be in the same boat for me but the nexus and g2 have both been solid choices since their release.

The Surface? I bought one when they first came out and hated it so I returned it. It's really a laptop not a tablet. And there are a very limited number of apps available. It just wasn't for me.

That's the point! I'm not spending $400+ to play Angry Birds, Freak!

LG G2. Same processor and chassis as nexus with improved screen, camera and battery.

I'm still in a "show me" phase with HTC. Every year they come out to rave reviews, then every year 6 months down the road they start aging poorly for one reason or another. UI, software, battery life, it's always something. LG used to be in the same boat for me but the nexus and g2 have both been solid choices since their release.

Aavoxx says the main draw of the Nexus is absense of bloatware. How does the LG compare in this regard?

Although I like improved camera.

Aavoxx says the main draw of the Nexus is absense of bloatware. How does the LG compare in this regard?

Somewhere in between. The moto x/g is really going to be the only other thing in the ballpark. However it's not as bad as Samsung, which is my major hangup with galaxy phones. I think it's a reasonable compromise, and the price has gone down quite a bit recently.

I hope not. :)

I liked the idea of the Surface, but in real world usage it just wasn't for me.

I agree. Loved the idea of the Surface, I'm just not a Windows person anymore (since my switch to Mac I can't go back). And Windows is still very limited as to what it has. The Surface Pro 2 looks very nice but I just don't like the Windows platform much. I wish Apple would come out with an iPad that could run a full version of OSX and still did the iPad thing with the App Store/games. Now that is something I'd drop $500-800 on in a heartbeat.

Think i'll be getting one of these tomorrow from Verizon starting a 2 year plan for 299$. Sick of my Iphone 4 shutting off randomly, freezing to where I have to let it die and since my screen lock button is stuck I have to plug it in to turn it back on. Also makes it impossible to reset the phone when it freezes. Oh and this phones my replacement phone for the first Iphone 4 I had that screwed up. No more Iphones for me!

I got my first iPad when I inherited my fathers when he passed. I had the same thoughts...it's just a big iphone. Why would I use it when I had a MacBook Pro and a iMac? I was using the MacBook to do my internet/email. Worked fine until I would get hot with the laptop on, well, my lap. So tried the iPad. 3-4 years later I rarely touch my laptop. Surfing or email, I use the iPad. Watch movies/tv, check scores, do checkbook, listen to music, use iPad. Hard to explain, but kind of like a dvr...you don't know how much you'll use it until you have one

I hate the Surface RT with a passion. However, the Surface Pro is awesome! They need to knock the price down a lot though, before they'll be a serious threat in the market.

RT was a cruel joke on people that weren't paying attention or didn't study up before purchasing.

VN Store

Back