Fulmer to be named AD soon

I always looked foward to his show. Back then for alot of us that was the only way to see the game. It was nothing like it is now. That was even back before Jefferson Pilot.

Good shows!

Attack, attack, attack! Hit him!

Loved the old Johnny Majors Shows. Agree, that's how many of us got to see the game.

You fall into the "Johnny was doing great, railroaded, and then stabbed in the back by a sorry arse ungrateful Fulmer" crowd. We got it. I tend a little more towards the "Johnny had beyond worn out his welcome with the program power brokers, they moved him out with the occasion of his health problems, and then tapped the young up and comer OC who wound up being a much better leader of the program" bunch.

I heard the final nail in Johnny's coffin was when he got loaded at a fund raiser held at a big booster's home in Sparta, TN. There were several high-ranking U.T officials present and he, supposedly, showed his a-- big time. Don't get me wrong, I love Johnny Majors as a player AND a coach. This story was relayed to me by the son of one of the big boosters who was present and witnessed the incident.

Reactions: 2 people
You fall into the "Johnny was doing great, railroaded, and then stabbed in the back by a sorry arse ungrateful Fulmer" crowd. We got it. I tend a little more towards the "Johnny had beyond worn out his welcome with the program power brokers, they moved him out with the occasion of his health problems, and then tapped the young up and comer OC who wound up being a much better leader of the program" bunch.

Didn't Coach Majors have a stick or cane he kept beating the desk with on that particular show? I went to that game and kept the game program for years

And that's the point in the end.
I have no doubts that Phil wrangled for the job, but the job opening was coming regardless. Not because Johnny was a bad coach, it's been said a hundred times it was for personal issues.

I liked Johnny as a coach but if he had to go, I'm glad Phil got in.

Reactions: 3 people
Christmas several years ago, Dick's Sporting Goods, line about 20 people deep. Walked up to the customer service desk that had repeatedly turned other customers down and insisted he was in a hurry. Pulled the do you know who I am card to get service. He showed his ass. End of story.

Edit: This is the only time I have seen Philmer in public. I am certain that if I met him recruiting my son or at a fundraiser he would be wonderful to be around.

So Christmas several years ago you had a bad experience, which based on your description sounds like a Dick's Sporting Goods problem.

You may not like Fulmer and that's certainly your right, but to use this story as a reason to attack is character is quite a stretch. But to each his own I suppose.

Reactions: 2 people
Cute story. Let me make one up, too.

Your nonbelief means well, absolutely nothing. Although you like many are probably of the ilk of when I want your opinion I'll give it to you. About 90% of the "real fans" on here are.

How did this statement get 3 likes?!? He's just one of the winningest coaches in UT history! He was also done very wrong during the firing process, and we should be thankful that he is a VFL and is even considering the AD position, IMO!

Same way this one did.

I do not remember the Majors era fondly. I was a great relief when Fulmer took over. We had much better football, until the end of Fulmer's time. It was time for a change when Majors was ousted and Fulmer was promoted. I also thought it was time when Fulmer was forced to step down, I just didn't like the way it was done. I even thought Kiffin was the right guy for the job. We'd have been much better off had he not ran out to SoCal at the end of that first season. It really set the program back.

Reactions: 1 person
So Christmas several years ago you had a bad experience, which based on your description sounds like a Dick's Sporting Goods problem.

You may not like Fulmer and that's certainly your right, but to use this story as a reason to attack is character is quite a stretch. But to each his own I suppose.

Why was it a Dick's problem? They were treating everyone the same. Fulmer and his ego demanded special treatment. I don't know why that is hard to understand. Being a good ole boy when the cameras are on you is much different than how you behave when you aren't the center of attention.

Well, look back at what he didn't accomplish that he should have! Multiple NC's, more than two SEC's. That's just for starters.

Fulmer was a great coach who was 100 games above .500, at one point in the mid 90s won 45 of 50 games, and gave us our only National Championship since Coach Neyland in 1951. I prefer to focus on the great things he did for our program and university, all of which greatly outweigh the negative, rather than what he didn't do.

A lot of great college football coaches like Fulmer only have one national title.....and a lot of them are like Fulmer in another way as well....they too are in a select group that are in the College Football Hall of Fame.

No chance he even tries to get the job? I think he at least puts a few feelers. I'm not saying he would get the job, but I think he'd want at a minimum to finish last few games and bowl game. JMO.

When's the last time we fired a coach (effective immediately) midseason? I can't recall any such instance.

Why would Blackburn want to hire Fulmer and have him looking over his shoulder? Fulmer doesn't strike me as one who could play a lieutenant's role.

Fulmer was a great coach who was 100 games above .500, at one point in the mid 90s won 45 of 50 games, and gave us our only National Championship since Coach Neyland in 1951. I prefer to focus on the great things he did for our program and university, all of which greatly outweigh the negative, rather than what he didn't do.

A lot of great college football coaches like Fulmer only have one national title.....and a lot of them are like Fulmer in another way as well....they too are in a select group that are in the College Football Hall of Fame.

No problem with Fulmer the man or as a coach for the first 8-10 years. But why would you make a 3 year hire with Fulmer when you could make a 10-15 year hire with Blackburn? Fulmer has no qualifications as an AD. Blackburn has great experience at UT and UTC.

This is a no brainer unless we want to play the good ole boy network and watch the power struggles that have hurt this program for years and years. It is time for new and younger leadership to move this program forward. And that is coming from an old guy.

Just tired of the politics that is UTAD and the boosters that only care about themselves and their egos.

Now KB, you are forgetting to add in there how TN FB was coming off of back to back SEC Championships when Fulmer took over! And, how the previous three years we didn't lose many games to begin with. It's not like he took over a program in the shape he and Dooley left it.

On that note, I was in the camp that wanted Majors gone and replaced with Fulmer. Just as I was wanted him gone after the 05 year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Now KB, you are forgetting to add in there how TN FB was coming off of back to back SEC Championships when Fulmer took over! And, how the previous three years we didn't lose many games to begin with. It's not like he took over a program in the she he and Dooley left it.

On that note, I was in the camp that wanted Majors gone and replaced with Fulmer. Just as I was wanted him gone after the 05 year.

This right here.

yes. he was the choice before Christmas. It is now Fulmer as the choice. give them enough time and it will be someone else..

Hope you've been well, Larry. As I said in another related thread....

At this point, I just don't give a damn anymore. Hire someone....anyone....just get it over with. UT is going to screw it up anyway so why the dog and pony show? Is the BOT trying to convince the masses that the UT ship actually has a captain and a rudder? Hell, we've been listing and drifting aimlessly as an athletic department in every sport for nearly a decade now. Same song and dance....big things are coming. It's a new day at UT. Exciting times. Send us your money and watch this program ascend to great things! BS. Nothing has changed. Nothing will change. Same ol' UT.

I do not remember the Majors era fondly. I was a great relief when Fulmer took over. We had much better football, until the end of Fulmer's time. It was time for a change when Majors was ousted and Fulmer was promoted. I also thought it was time when Fulmer was forced to step down, I just didn't like the way it was done. I even thought Kiffin was the right guy for the job. We'd have been much better off had he not ran out to SoCal at the end of that first season. It really set the program back.

welcome to VN

So Phil went from telling Blackburn that he didn't want the job and would help Blackburn get it, and now Phil's the front runner and wants the job.

I'd say he'll do a hell of a job if it doesn't have anything to do with ordering furniture

VN Store

Back