Fulmer debate extravaganza (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was that the same Johnny Majors who was mostly terrible for 12 years at the helm in a mostly weak SEC from 1977-1988? Was the same Johnny Majors who was so awful at Pitt in the mid-90's, they disappeared from national relevance for a decade?

No, that Johnny Majors is the Johnny Majors who was the brash, self-centered egotist who was fired partly because of those traits, but it is the same Johnny Majors who also, for his last ten years, had a much better winning percentage at UT than his successor, PF, for his last ten years. Majors started slowly and finished strongly, record-wise, while PF started strongly and tailed off badly at the end, the end being an entire decade.

No, that Johnny Majors is the Johnny Majors who was the brash, self-centered egotist who was fired partly because of those traits, but it is the same Johnny Majors who also, for his last ten years, had a much better winning percentage at UT than his successor, PF, for his last ten years. Majors started slowly and finished strongly, record-wise, while PF started strongly and tailed off badly at the end, the end being an entire decade.

Still cutting and pasting?

Reactions: 1 person
Fulmer did a good job, even great, overall, much of the success was due to Cut and Chief, but he was the head man. I thank him for what he did. I just wish that he hadnt become so complacent, just as USC was getting Spurrier, Bama Saban, Urban Meyer, etc- he let the world pass him by much to the injury of himself and the VN. It didnt really have to happen, but that is hindsight. Maybe Butch can lead us out of the wilderness, I pray it will be so.

Fulmer did a good job, even great, overall, much of the success was due to Cut and Chief, but he was the head man. I thank him for what he did. I just wish that he hadnt become so complacent, just as USC was getting Spurrier, Bama Saban, Urban Meyer, etc- he let the world pass him by much to the injury of himself and the VN. It didnt really have to happen, but that is hindsight. Maybe Butch can lead us out of the wilderness, I pray it will be so.

Nothing about Fulmer should slander Johnny Majors. I remember when JM left a NC team at Pitt to return home . At that time our program was in shambles. Too bad Fulmer and JM couldnt get along.

There are some significant differences in the SEC schedules that CJM was dealt and the ones that CPF had to play. Vandy, UK and Ole Miss were 3 automatic W's most years and we only played 6 freakin' SEC games with Bama and Auburn being 2 permanent games where we had losing records in those 16 years. So we rotated Georgia, Florida and Miss. State who we had losing records against in Majors tenure and LSU who we beat or tied most years. Fulmer comes in and we add SEC games with Florida and Georgia becoming permanent opponents. I appreciate what Coach Majors did to build the foundation and hiring decent staff, but how many games do we win against Georgia if we play them every year in the 80's? Not many. How many Florida wins does Majors have if he stayed throughout the 90's. Not many. If we play the same 5 permanent SEC opponents in Fulmer's era and rotate the same as we did when Majors was coach, we might have 2 or 3 more NC's.:p

It was a sad day for me when Coach Majors was cut loose. I was similarly disappointed when Coach Fulmer resigned. It will come back around.

there are some significant differences in the sec schedules that cjm was dealt and the ones that cpf had to play. Vandy, uk and ole miss were 3 automatic w's most years and we only played 6 freakin' sec games with bama and auburn being 2 permanent games where we had losing records in those 16 years. So we rotated georgia, florida and miss. State who we had losing records against in majors tenure and lsu who we beat or tied most years. Fulmer comes in and we add sec games with florida and georgia becoming permanent opponents. I appreciate what coach majors did to build the foundation and hiring decent staff, but how many games do we win against georgia if we play them every year in the 80's? Not many. How many florida wins does majors have if he stayed throughout the 90's. Not many. If we play the same 5 permanent sec opponents in fulmer's era and rotate the same as we did when majors was coach, we might have 2 or 3 more nc's.:p

it was a sad day for me when coach majors was cut loose. I was similarly disappointed when coach fulmer resigned. It will come back around.

resigned!?!?!?!?!??!!?!?

resigned!?!?!?!?!??!!?!?

Forced resignation make ya feel better? They pulled out the black curtain with the power T's on it. Coach Fulmer addressed the audience live. What would you call it? Google Fulmer Resignation and see what pops up.:blink:

if fulmer still wants to work, he should take an assistant job for a few hundred thousand instead of that dead end job at etsu for peanuts.

Perhaps money is not the issue. He may want to prove something. Although, he does not need to.

VF, not trying to be rude or disrespectful, but you almost, or maybe do, have a sheer obsession with Fulmer. It is almost as if he is a family member whose honor you have to defend to the grave. Fulmer is is a former coach who made it into the HOF, is a footnote of UT football history, and a controversial/divisive figure and that won't change in the near future, regardless of what is posted about him, pro or con. Haven't you had enough?

VF, not trying to be rude or disrespectful, but you almost, or maybe do, have a sheer obsession with Fulmer. It is almost as if he is a family member whose honor you have to defend to the grave. Fulmer is is a former coach who made it into the HOF, is a footnote of UT football history, and a controversial/divisive figure and that won't change in the near future, regardless of what is posted about him, pro or con. Haven't you had enough?

Haven't you all had enough trying to drag him through the mud? If you expect the Fulmer supporters to stop, the anti Fulmer group needs to stop sh****** on his name.

I do not think you are rude. That said, I am no worse than the VN "fans" that insult him and run his record down or try to diminish his other accomplishments.
I will stop when the other side stops.

Reactions: 2 people
Haven't you all had enough trying to drag him through the mud? If you expect the Fulmer supporters to stop, the anti Fulmer group needs to stop sh****** on his name.

Well, not everyone has, as you put it, "tried to drag him through the mud." What many have tried to do is counter (some of) the pro-Fulmer comments with some facts, hard concrete facts, as in the demise of the football program from PF's best years in the nineties, using statistical evidence (W-L's among other things). And just as PF supporters will give no quarter on their PF opinions, neither will those who believe otherwise. So, this likely will go back and forth until the thread is retired.

Last edited:
the same Johnny Majors who also, for his last ten years, had a much better winning percentage at UT than his successor, PF, for his last ten years.

Majors' Record 1983-1992
SEC: 41-21-2
Overall: 82-30-6
% Weeks Ranked: 60%

Fulmer's Record 1999-2008
SEC: 53-27
Overall: 85-41
% Weeks Unranked: 80%

Out of curiosity, how is winning fewer games overall and a no better SEC win rate in a much weaker SEC a "much better winning percentage"?

Do you guys know that it's NSD-eve and you're over hear debating Fulmer / Majors like a bunch of old ladies at a knitting circle.

1806332652_0bc5aef96b.jpg

My Sources , Whom I cannot name mind you . tell me Gruden is the new coach here at UT . Its a secret though . Its so on the downlow we hadda hire bUTch , as a smoke screen .

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back