Fulmer debate extravaganza (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't quite understand the definition of trend.....and I keep waiting for the Fulmerites to step up and recognize that he was headed downhill. The numbers don't lie, but the heart may. This thread is like NCIS......at first all the shows get a rerun, then only 75% and eventually they get down to about 10 or so that they keep showing. He was good, he got lazy, he is gone, we are TRYING to move on. Why can't we just let it go.

IMO it's not about bringing him back at this point. The fact that some still choose to attack our (Tennessee Volunteers) HOF coach is unexceptionable. I don't blame anyone for defending Fulmer I would expect them to and would be disappointed if they didn't.

Now Fulmer is not our head coach everyone knows this. He's not coming back. So why does anyone feel the need to degrade his coaching career?

You all say you like winners. Yet you expect fans to lie down and allow people to degrade their favorite UT coach. He is the 2nd in line behind Neyland in wins. That deserves some respect and if some of you don't want to give it to him then I say piss on you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
IMO it's not about bringing him back at this point. The fact that some still choose to attack our (Tennessee Volunteers) HOF coach is unexceptionable. I don't blame anyone for defending Fulmer I would expect them to and would be disappointed if they didn't.

Now Fulmer is not our head coach everyone knows this. He's not coming back. So why does anyone feel the need to degrade his coaching career?

You all say you like winners. Yet you expect fans to lie down and allow people to degrade their favorite UT coach. He is the 2nd in line behind Neyland in wins. That deserves some respect and if some of you don't want to give it to him then I say piss on you.

Really?? Really??

1) Figure out how to post before you piss on someone you shouldn't. Don't worry 16, I know who he is pissing on even if he doesn't.
2) I have had nothing but GOOD things to say about CPF's career here. Saying he got lazy at the end to me isn't degrading nor is it unexceptionable (wtf are you talking about). The fact of the matter is that he was in a downward spiral and showed no signs of improving.
3) It gets old listening to the people on here that won't accept the fact that many of us don't have him on a pedestal and worship him. If you want to go through life pissing on people that don't agree with you, then when you get crapped on, don't complain.

Really?? Really??

1) Figure out how to post before you piss on someone you shouldn't. Don't worry 16, I know who he is pissing on even if he doesn't.
2) I have had nothing but GOOD things to say about CPF's career here. Saying he got lazy at the end to me isn't degrading nor is it unexceptionable (wtf are you talking about). The fact of the matter is that he was in a downward spiral and showed no signs of improving.
3) It gets old listening to the people on here that won't accept the fact that many of us don't have him on a pedestal and worship him. If you want to go through life pissing on people that don't agree with you, then when you get crapped on, don't complain.

Complain Never. I was happy with Fulmer. Others complained. We hired Kitten I never complained, we hired Dooley again never complained. As matter of fact my first post on Volnation was in defense of Fulmer in this thread. My first 200 post were almost all in defense of Fulmer. I have said many times I want what is best for UT.

Now I understand why people defend Fulmer.

Why do you feel it so necessary to point out his flaws or failures? What are you gaining? Are you trying to save us from something that I can't see? I just don't get it.

Reactions: 2 people
because kiffin and dooley were busts, fulmer lovers want phil back? :eek:hmy: he started losing too much--that's why he got fired.

Really?? Really??

The problem is you trolls won't accept the fact that the man was the second best coach in Tennessee history, had a HoF career, and brought Tennessee one of the most successful four year runs in UT history.

But I wouldn't expect some punk arse kid who claims Alabama and Tennessee as favorites to understand anything.

Reactions: 1 person
because kiffin and dooley were busts, fulmer lovers want phil back? :eek:hmy: he started losing too much--that's why he got fired.

I said before IMO it's more about defending him from people who enjoy tearing his HOF career apart than actually wanting him back at this point. I believe almost everyone is very happy with CBJ. I know I am.

Question for you as a Vol Fan. What are you gaining by continuing to make the statements like the one above?

Do we really want to point out all our negatives? I think there are enough people out there doing that. Why help them? We are fans no one said we are or even need to be rational. As they said today before the NC game "we blindly follow our teams".

So why do you continue? You have made the above statement at least 50 times now. I think everyone knows how you feel. What are you gaining or is it helping in some way?

I have said I understand why fans defend Fulmer, but can not understand why those who call themselves fans continue to degrade his career and will not let it go? No point in it Fulmer is not coming back.

Everytime someone say's something positive about our HOF coach you have to follow it with a negative. Just not right IMO.

Last edited:
Really?? Really??

Tnglen...........How do you have Alabama and Tennessee as your fav. teams??? Im not trying to troll or flame you, I would really just like to know.

Evidence? Like the last four years of 29-22, 17-16 in conference? That kind of evidence?

Like I have said, the only reason I post these stats is because most of you guys pick his last 4 years to say that his next four years would have been worse. You guys use history to say he wouldn't be any good had he stayed, but when I use it make a logical claim, it's tossed to the side?

Like I have said, the only reason I post these stats is because most of you guys pick his last 4 years to say that his next four years would have been worse. You guys use history to say he wouldn't be any good had he stayed, but when I use it make a logical claim, it's tossed to the side?

It is pretty clear that PF was on a downward slide with two losing seasons in his last four, but those two seasons were bookends for a 9 win and 10 win seasons. So, how about those two winning seasons? Calculate it and you will find that those two 9 and 10 win seasons were average, in the case of the 9 wins, and very slightly above average in the case of the 10 wins, based on UT's all-time winning percentage. So, one could say that PF was only, "marking time," for his last four years, two average seasons and two considerably below average, as in "losing seasons." The rest of the SEC big five were going full speed ahead, not marching in place.

Standings in SEC East

Yr Place Coach
2012 6th* DD * 7 team conference
2011 6th DD
2010 T3rd DD

2009 T2nd LK

2008 5th PF
2007 1st PF
2006 2nd PF
2005 4th PF
2004 1st PF
2003 T1st PF
2002 3rd PF
2001 1st PF
2000 T2nd PF
1999 2nd PF
1998 1st PF
1997 1st PF
1996 2nd PF
1995 2nd PF
1994 2nd PF
1993 T1st PF

Yep, the change of coaches worked out so well. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It is pretty clear that PF was on a downward slide with two losing seasons in his last four, but those two seasons were bookends for a 9 win and 10 win seasons. So, how about those two winning seasons? Calculate it and you will find that those two 9 and 10 win seasons were average, in the case of the 9 wins, and very slightly above average in the case of the 10 wins, based on UT's all-time winning percentage. So, one could say that PF was only, "marking time," for his last four years, two average seasons and two considerably below average, as in "losing seasons." The rest of the SEC big five were going full speed ahead, not marching in place.

Thank you for making a claim and giving a logical reason. Some of these jack wagons are just here to make a argument and jackass everyone who disagrees.

Ultimately, we will never know. Even though Cut was Phil's guy, we saw how much a new OC that is proven energized our offense after 05-06 season. Obviously, Clawson was gone and I would have been very intrigued to see who Phil, had he had the chance, would have picked. His last season was lost simply on choosing the wrong OC. Also, every coach has a stretch where their teams aren't the usual a fan base is used to. A lot of people say firing him is the direct cause of our last 4 years. I say it has some effect but not total. I would take that 29-21 over the candidates out there. I mean we didn't even look at pro coaches.

Math isn't your strong point is it? UTs all time percentage is .684. When going 9-4, the percentage is .692. A 10-3 record is .769 and 10-4 is .714. So every year, Fulmer was above the average.

Pre-Fulmer the average was .655. Through 2004, the average increased to .676. When Fulmer was fired it was down to .672. And since firing him, it is down to .684.

Edit: overall percentage is .663, not .684 based on dividing total wins by total games (799/1206).

Last edited:
Math isn't your strong point is it? UTs all time percentage is .684. When going 9-4, the percentage is .692. A 10-3 record is .769 and 10-4 is .714. So every year, Fulmer was above the average.

Pre-Fulmer the average was .655. Through 2004, the average increased to .676. When Fulmer was fired it was down to .672. And since firing him, it is down to .684.

Edit: overall percentage is .663, not .684 based on dividing total wins by total games (799/1206).

Wikipedia, which I used, shows PF's record as 9-4 in 2006, which if correct, means you had better check your math. That works out to .692 and 2007 shows 10-4 which is .714, as you stated, but removing the last four seasons from the overall all-time record to go back to PF and the won-loss record when he left, it is 776-327 (excluding ties). Including the ties would lower the percentage a bit, but still it is close to PF's 9 and 10 win seasons, which is close to the all-time winning percentage. or an average UT season over time, ie. an average coaching job. How do you calculate that going from .672, PF's firing, to .684 is going down? Take out the games played since PF's termination before calculating the percentage. The Wikipedia calculation of .684 is current, and includes ties
as well as the games played since PF left.

Last edited:

Just give it up man, we could go 5-7 for the next 20 year's, and people well still be saying "Fulmer deserved to be fired".

No one on this board will "blink" first....or ever admit they are wrong.

Vf all the Fulmerites are playing follow the leader. They are all waiting on you to "blink" first. Go ahead be a true leader, admit it was time for the big guy to go.

Hope all is going well for you and your family.

Vf all the Fulmerites are playing follow the leader. They are all waiting on you to "blink" first. Go ahead be a true leader, admit it was time for the big guy to go.

Hope all is going well for you and your family.

BUT I AM RIGHT!!!!!

Hope all is well for your family also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back