Fulmer comments on Gillespie departure

So I thought he brought him back to the team. If im Robert I would be pissed. Im pretty sure he could have went anywhere else and got a job but he chose to come back to only get let go.

He probably based his decision off recruiting. CRG struck out on RBs. Banks was never recruited to UT til Pruitt came, and once offered committed. In the SEC we have to pull Derrick Henry's, Q Couch, but also have that coach recruit more than just RBs. Besides AK, Kelly, amd I guess Hurd, his other recruits havent panned out. Weinke is a clear upgrade recruiting wise. RB coaching Also isnt rocket science.

With last year being the worst record in TN history, everyone should be fired. Nothing against RG, he may be great but CP is in charge and he will be the one blamed if he does not succeed, so he should get who he wants. I do wish they would have let RG go earlier so he could have found another job earlier.

Reactions: 1 person
So I thought he brought him back to the team. If im Robert I would be pissed. Im pretty sure he could have went anywhere else and got a job but he chose to come back to only get let go.

Yes parade him out there at the National Signing Day Celebration and then let him go.

Aren't we supposed to learn from our mistakes? I think that's what is going to make Fulmer such a great asset. He's been humbled by the big boy business himself.

Yes, I think that you are correct. It just struck me as being a real departure for Fulmer to say something like that. Even relatively recently I heard him extol the virtues of staff stability, so this seems like a new posture for him. I was not criticizing, just observing.

There could be a ton of factors in place. Perhaps CRG wasn’t meshing well with the other coaches, maybe losing out on few recruits on NSD was the reason, or maybe CRG did not agree with the new coaching philosophy.

It is possible that CJP wanted another offensive mind on staff or maybe CRG was retained through NSD on a trial basis.

It is possible that CRG wanted a raise and an extension but CJP refused until after the season. I wouldn’t be surprised if CRG got offered a position elsewhere and Tried to use it as leverage so CJP said to take it.

There are so many possibilities. The story will eventually come out.

“Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the VP is such a VIP, shouldn't we keep the PC on the QT? 'Cause if it leaks to the VC he could end up MIA, and then we'd all be put on KP”

Reactions: 2 people
Is that Shoney's Big Boy business?

Does he look like he's wearing orange & white?

bobs.jpg

Sure doesn't...

It’s a f ing RB coach ... biggest drama queens in the nation on here. Please tell me what huge recruits he has landed and how he gotten us back to the top. Wait a minute we just had the worst team in our entire HISTORY

I think the issue is more about treating people the right way. Seems like Coach G got used and then dumped. Unless he underperformed, it’s an integrity issue.

Does he look like he's wearing orange & white?

bobs.jpg

Sure doesn't...

That's awesome thanks. I actually forgot about the checkerboard outfit. Does anyone remember if Alcoa highway Shoney's had orange checkerboards when they had one years ago? It's been so long I can't remember.

Last edited:
That's awesome thanks. I actually forgot about the checkerboard outfit. Does anyone remember if Alcoa highway Shoney's had orange checkerboards when they had one years ago? It's been so long I can't remember.

I think they used to have it standing next to the entrance, and I have passed by there several times in the last month, but didn't notice. Not a real good place place to take your eye off the road with the many places idiots can just pop out into your path.

I think the issue is more about treating people the right way. Seems like Coach G got used and then dumped. Unless he underperformed, it’s an integrity issue.

Definitely underperformed as a recruiter.....helped get a few good running backs in 5 years and virtually nothing else, and that’s just not good enough.

And quite honestly, I’m much more concerned about the synergy and effectiveness of the staff as a whole. If JP felt like RG ultimately wasn’t the right fit at RB coach going forward, then it’s his duty to make the change to optimize his staff. Thanks RG, appreciate the work you did here, good luck to you and your family.

Reactions: 3 people
VN is acting like RG is irreplaceable.

He did a good job here but he was no god. He hasn't really produced any impressive specimens. AK was already talented and I wouldn't say that his success stemmed from RG. Other than that Kelly looked good but we don't really know.

RB coaches are a dime a dozen but I hope RG has success wherever he goes. He gave his all.

Reactions: 3 people
It is strange to hear Fulmer talk like that. If Fulmer had applied that same "big boy business" attitude to his underperforming assistant coaches during his tenure (instead of his coaching staff stability mantra), he might still be coaching.

Lessons learned. School of hard knocks. Makes him a better AD.

Coach RG will either have a job soon or he'll sit on his $$$$$ and take a year off to relax and see what his best options are for next year.

He's too good a coach/recruiter to be unemployed long if he wants to get back to work soon.

VFL...GBO!!!
??
Pretty sure RGs contract was expiring, so no buyout.

I think they used to have it standing next to the entrance, and I have passed by there several times in the last month, but didn't notice. Not a real good place place to take your eye off the road with the many places idiots can just pop out into your path.

Amen to that. Talk about needing a red light.

VN is acting like RG is irreplaceable.

He did a good job here but he was no god. He hasn't really produced any impressive specimens. AK was already talented and I wouldn't say that his success stemmed from RG. Other than that Kelly looked good but we don't really know.

RB coaches are a dime a dozen but I hope RG has success wherever he goes. He gave his all.

I'm sure he's good at what he does, but it's always funnyeople people latch onto the notion that football is so complicated that only about 5 guys in America are any good at coaching it.

VN Store

Back