Fulmer’s legacy?

How do you view CPF’s legacy as a coach and AD?

• Good

• Neutral

• Poor

Results are only viewable after voting.
That 1998 season is the luckiest season outside of 2002 Ohio State's title. Not only did he need multiple miracles against Syracuse, Florida and Arkansas (along with down 2 scores to Miss State in the SEC title game to start) he got to face a third string QB instead of playing an eventual Heisman winner and NFL QB against Florida State in the BCS title game. If Weinke doesn't get hurt, this Phil discussion completely changes.
Weinke was hurt well before the end of the season. That same QB that we faced, Marcus Outzen, knocked off the then higher rated #4 Gators, who we would've faced again in the NC game with K State and UCLA both losing. On top of that, Weinke was wildly inconsistent in 1998. They lost to an NC State team with a losing record due to him throwing 5-6 INTs in that game. It was a debacle.

On top of that, the 1997 Nebraska team (as dominant as they were) were just as lucky as us in 1998. They had an errant pass ricochet off a player's shoe in the end zone vs. Missouri. Wildest play I can remember.

Luckiest was probably a little much. But they had to force three fumbles and recover all 3 and then needed a kicker to miss a 32 yard FG in order to win that game in OT. Miracle might be strong. But that’s some luck.
Deon Grant having one of the greatest picks in Tennessees history wasn’t luck and neither was Shawn Bryson on a simple Fullback dive that went for a long TD run. Those plays were made too. It wasn’t all luck. We scraped by that game despite Tee Martin not being a competent passing QB yet. I think he threw for barely over 60 yards. That team was built different because they didn’t have the mindset that Manning was going to bail them out all of the time .

He squandered quite a bit of talent. He often had as much or more talent throughout the mid 90’s to the mid 2000’s and lost the games that he shouldn’t have and rarely won those that he shouldn’t have.

I’ve said it before and that is coach Cut was the real force for the good years Fulmer had as coach and his time as AD was a failure by anyone’s standard.

To me he was a net negative and that is saying something for a coach who won a national title.
A head coach is in charge of staffing. Cuts successes are fulmers successes.

Weinke was hurt well before the end of the season. That same QB that we faced, Marcus Outzen, knocked off the then higher rated #4 Gators, who we would've faced again in the NC game with K State and UCLA both losing. On top of that, Weinke was wildly inconsistent in 1998. They lost to an NC State team with a losing record due to him throwing 5-6 INTs in that game. It was a debacle.

On top of that, the 1997 Nebraska team (as dominant as they were) were just as lucky as us in 1998. They had an errant pass ricochet off a player's shoe in the end zone vs. Missouri. Wildest play I can remember.
It was pretty clear He kicked it intentionally to keep it alive. It was fourth down at the end of the game and if the pass hits the ground they lose.

I value his coaching tenure over his ad tenure (but he gets too bad a rep here). He was a player and coach first. A coach that won a national championship and multiple sec titles. He should have had 2 heisman winners, not his fault he didn’t. His only knock is that he didn’t win more national titles and could have. 95, 96, 97, and 01 all had championship potential. Nebraska is the only football program that can say their 90s were as good as ours. I myself was but a child then, and I feel bad for any Vol fan who was born late enough to not be able to witness any of our 90s success. We were dominant.

He was only made an ad when we had no idea what else to do. He had never been one before. We were a mess. It was a setup for failure. He knew a bit of what worked and what didn’t. He saw both as a coach here. Ultimately, he gave Pruitt total control and support/resources. That is needed to reach the apex at collegiate level. See saban, Meyer, smart, etc. Pruitt just wasn’t ready for it and it exposed us. Let’s not forget that he kept Barnes from leaving for ucla. So he went 1-1 on hiring.

We owe him immensely for his role as both coach and ad.

EDIT: I have been appropriately corrected and lashed for my injustice of remembering incorrectly who hired Tony Vitello, who was in fact not hired by Phil and thus the ad who will not be named who also held the position in 2017.

Last edited:
Reactions: VOLfrombama
He was only made an ad when we had no idea what else to do.

I recall a very, very large amount of momentum behind hiring David Blackburn before Fulmer was made the AD. I'm not sure what happened behind the scenes, but it seemed like everyone thought he was an ideal candidate. But then, something happened, and his name suddenly vanished from the media rumors.

Reactions: vol_in_ga
I value his coaching tenure over his ad tenure (but he gets too bad a rep here). He was a player and coach first. A coach that won a national championship and multiple sec titles. He should have had 2 heisman winners, not his fault he didn’t. His only knock is that he didn’t win more national titles and could have. 95, 96, 97, and 01 all had championship potential. Nebraska is the only football program that can say their 90s were as good as ours. I myself was but a child then, and I feel bad for any Vol fan who was born late enough to not be able to witness any of our 90s success. We were dominant.

He was only made an ad when we had no idea what else to do. He had never been one before. We were a mess. It was a setup for failure. He knew a bit of what worked and what didn’t. He saw both as a coach here. Ultimately, he gave Pruitt total control and support/resources. That is needed to reach the apex at collegiate level. See saban, Meyer, smart, etc. Pruitt just wasn’t ready for it and it exposed us. Let’s not forget that he hired Tony Vitello and kept Barnes from leaving for ucla. So despite Pruitt leading to his ending, I think he did more good as an ad than bad.

I thought Currie hired Tony Vitello.

I recall a very, very large amount of momentum behind hiring David Blackburn before Fulmer was made the AD. I'm not sure what happened behind the scenes, but it seemed like everyone thought he was an ideal candidate. But then, something happened, and his name suddenly vanished from the media rumors.
I seem to recall lots of rumors circulated about his drinking problems . I never heard anything else bad about the guy.

He was only made an ad when we had no idea what else to do. He had never been one before. We were a mess. It was a setup for failure. He knew a bit of what worked and what didn’t. He saw both as a coach here. Ultimately, he gave Pruitt total control and support/resources. That is needed to reach the apex at collegiate level. See saban, Meyer, smart, etc. Pruitt just wasn’t ready for it and it exposed us. Let’s not forget that he hired Tony Vitello and kept Barnes from leaving for ucla. So despite Pruitt leading to his ending, I think he did more good as an ad than bad.

He won only 2 SEC titles, with the talent he was able to recruit 2 is a pitiful number.

I said good. He won the championship and that was huge. But with the talent we had, he should have won much more and Spurrier owned him.

As an AD he sucked.

I think Cut is the only reason we won as much as we did.

Let’s not forget that he hired Tony Vitello and kept Barnes from leaving for ucla. So despite Pruitt leading to his ending, I think he did more good as an ad than bad.

Stop making sh-t up...

A 5 second Google search will show who hired Vitello..

Reactions: vol_in_ga
He won only 2 SEC titles, with the talent he was able to recruit 2 is a pitiful number.
Fair criticism, though I wouldn’t say pitiful, that’s a bit harsh.

Still, it matters not whether you should have done better when you were better than the majority of others before and after you. How do you discount the greatness of what he achieved compared to others’ lesser achievements because of the fact he didn’t do better than he did? That doesn’t make sense to me.

Reactions: knox73
Stop making sh-t up...

A 5 second Google search will show who hired Vitello..
Guess I remember that incorrectly. It was 2017, the year Phil took over, but y’all right. Can we retroactively take that credit away from him? He deserves far less despite the historical accuracy.

For all of those who say he wasted talent by not winning more (at least) SEC titles, who wasted more talent; Fulmer or Jones?

Another question; had Fulmer beaten Florida in ‘95 and LSU in the ‘01 SECCG but went on to lose to Nebraska and Miami respectively, would those losses in title games have negatively impacted his legacy the same as many of you feel the above mentioned games did?

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Guess I remember that incorrectly. It was 2017, the year Phil took over, but y’all right. Can we retroactively take that credit away from him? He deserves far less despite the historical accuracy.

Ultimately Phil's legacy will be positive as his results as coach will outweigh his abysmal run as AD...

He left some meat on the bone as a coach but a Natty is still a Natty...

Reactions: MemphisVol77
David did not get the AD position because Hamilton made him do all the dirty work in firing Coach Fulmer. Hamilton did not have the guts to do it himself. Many boosters held that against David when his name came up.

Loved the National Championship but Fulmer's ship sailed a long time ago. Terrible job as AD. Never should have been in that position. Hope he is retired in comfort and glad he is gone. Done.

Reactions: BernardKingGOAT
Fulmer would get boatraced in the modern game, a fact that became apparent after 1998. His decline against top opponents after the Championship was rapid and severe. He got right against the Jerry DiNardo’s, Brad Scott’s, and Mike Shula’s of the SEC…but when facing a good X & O’s coach it was a toss-up. Like I said, great recruiter, good motivator. The coaching talent laid elsewhere on the staff, and you could tell once Cutcliffe wasn’t here. I thought that fact would have made him a better AD. I was mistaken.

It’s amazing how different the 90’s look 25+ years removed. The ESPN money that came along later caused a coaching arms race in the conference that exposed and doomed Fulmer in the early 2000’s.
He wasn't that great of a motivator. We barely beat a lot of teams we should have thrashed, so our second and third teams missed game experience. We could have really been hell on wheels for several years there if he had been able to get the team to play hard every game. After the NC he was a poster boy for complacency and even before he'd do the least possible to get by, The players followed his lead.

Last edited:
Reactions: volpass
He is by far the most selfish, egotistical scoundrel that has ever crossed this program. He did whatever he could to screw over whoever he could in order to retain power. It started with Johnny Majors, a man who gave him his first big break, and ended with the biggest middle finger to a collegiate fanbase you could find.

After getting a super, duper friendly contract that let him establish "8 wins gives automatic contract extension" he became so scared Dave Clawsen would take his job, sabotaged the offense intentionally so Clawsen couldn't run his show and went 5-7. He got fired, took zero responsibility as he let his players cause a scene at his press conference without saying a word, then no showed so Tennessee would lose to Wyoming and not get a bowl for extra practices, all while take a $6M buyout on the way, taking no responsibility for the program.

Say what you want about John Currie but he had a well established head coach lined up to take over the program in Mike Leach. In a time where Tennessee fans were fuming, hurt and lost, Phil could have rallied the fanbase or offered public support to the program. Instead, like a snake, he weaseled his way into an over her head Chancellor, spilled lies and led a mutiny to take back power because he held a grudge over being fired by an AD that had not been involved with the program in almost a decade. He then took over the AD with no actual experience how to run a modern P5 collegiate program, didn't hire a search firm to help vet or assist in the hiring of a football coach during a critical moment for the program and hired a goober that almost destroyed the program who could have gotten us severe sanctions if Donde Plowman and Randy Boyd hadn't stepped up. Then, instead of take responsibility for his actions and leave with some form of a good name and retire properly, he took a $1M buyout firing disguised as a retirement to go away, because Phil doesn't cared about the University of Tennessee, he only cares about himself and his pockets. He lied about knowing what was going on as Pruitt ran rampant breaking NCAA rules even though he specifically stated he was supposed to fix the football program. He had the gall to say he left the program better than what he had, which was a total lie, and couldn't take any ownership in his press conference and didn't apologize to the university or its fans for letting it get as bad as it did.

Not only that, he alienated Rick Barnes (MAYBE THE EASIEST DUDE TO DEAL WITH IN COLLEGE BASKETBALL) so bad Barnes was going to take the UCLA job WITHOUT A COUNTER OFFER until Randy Boyd and boosters actually got involved to retain Barnes because Barnes was so fed up with how Phil did his job. He hired Kelly Harper, who while a good person, had shown she could not win at a P5 school because she was a UT grad and he didn't know enough about women's basketball to know who to actually hire. He did zero in terms of renovations or progress for facilities and somehow made the football program worse from the day he was hired.

He constantly didn't hire great people, perpetually fearing he would get replaced because, as a snake, that's how he got the job to begin with. David Cutcliffe carried his water and showed he was a mediocre coach once Cut left. He's a blight on this program and the 1998 National Title doesn't cover his sins. He squandered countless teams while the SEC was down, got his ass handed to him by Steve Spurrier year after year, then Mark Richt and one a singular SEC title with freaking Peyton Manning as his QB. He's a mediocre football coach that lucked into an awesome situation that Johnny Majors built and lucky that David Cutcliffe/John Chavis was already on staff when he backstabbed Majors for the job.

He's a disgrace to the university and the athletic department and they should rename Phillip Fulmer Way, instead calling it David Cutcliffe Road. I hope he never gets honored at the university again. He's a selfish con artist who cared more about himself and used his status as a alumni with his "aw shucks" demeanor as a ruse to step on people and destroy careers to get what he wanted.
Well yeah, but other than that though., he was working like heck and really loved UT. I'd love UT too for all that money he bilked from them.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back